Author Topic: What's the best time to severely cut back a mango tree to prepare for topwork  (Read 1600 times)

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
I live in Lake Worth and have 2 Keitt trees with MBBS - I'd like to top work with, honey kiss or some other possible resistant variety.
What month would be best ..if I cutback now, or wait to spring??
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:16:43 AM by Capt Ram »
Www.sailing-charters.org

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
I usually do my initial top work cutting in spring

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Spring is best, as the new sprouts are ready to graft in mid summer. But there is still time to do it.
Jeff  :-)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Since you are planning honeykiss I'd do it now. I cut mine back too soon this year and my tree grew back more than I'd have liked waiting for honeykiss scion availability which mostly happens after fruiting.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
Ok thanks, guys, I appreciate your feedback
Www.sailing-charters.org

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I'd do it now, with one important caveat:  any remaining large branches that are sloping less than 45-degrees of angle, and that now are suddenly exposed to midday sun in this blazing hot weather, should be painted with interior non-glossy latex white paint, all along the top side of the branch where the sunlight hits it.  This is to prevent bark and cambium death by sunburn.

Otherwise, wait till cool weather, preferably before late March.
Har

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
Thanks Har,
I did not know this.. hi
Www.sailing-charters.org

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I'd do it now, with one important caveat:  any remaining large branches that are sloping less than 45-degrees of angle, and that now are suddenly exposed to midday sun in this blazing hot weather, should be painted with interior non-glossy latex white paint, all along the top side of the branch where the sunlight hits it.  This is to prevent bark and cambium death by sunburn.

This is very important. I did see some bark damage on more horizontal limbs of trees which had to be 'hat-racked' in September to allow uprighting after being toppled over in hurricane Irma. In addition to the areas mentioned by Har, I saw sunburn damage to the vertical west sides of branches exposed to afternoon sun.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Agree. The damage can be pretty severe too. If you come back 10 years later and cut into a limb that had sunburn, you'll see a dark brown dead portion of the inner core that runs the length of the limb.

This is very important. I did see some bark damage on more horizontal limbs of trees which had to be 'hat-racked' in September to allow uprighting after being toppled over in hurricane Irma. In addition to the areas mentioned by Har, I saw sunburn damage to the vertical west sides of branches exposed to afternoon sun.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk