Author Topic: Kumquats in pots- when to take in?  (Read 1111 times)

jeffpas

• Springfield, IL
    • View Profile
Kumquats in pots- when to take in?
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:34:15 PM »
Have 3 Nagami kumquat trees in very large pots.    They are on their 2nd year, and have been outside all summer.
They wintered inside by a basement window under quite expensive plant gro lighting, but did horribly over the winter- not so much because of the lighting, but because of spider mites.
I practically had to drown them in Neem oil to get them through, and of course any of the fruit they had was soaked in spider mite killer and disagreeable.
In fact, they pretty much had to grow back from the roots come spring.   They eventually recovered quite well, though their tree form is lost (now bushes)... but they have fruited again.   However, as fall carries on temperatures are expected to dip for the first time to 28 or 30.

I want to leave them outside as long as possible, since I expect them to do poorly again indoors and would like to get some fruit this time.  But how long to wait?
What is the lowest temperature they can take before they drop fruit or are injured.   I've heard Nagami are among the most cold hardy, and some pages say as low as 20.   Should they come in the first night below 32, or can I get a few more weeks outside?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Re: Kumquats in pots- when to take in?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
Kumquts are hardy to 20F easy if they are in the ground. In pots I wouldn't leave them out much below 32F as the pots will freeze, freezing the roots.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
Neem is not poisonous to mammals (or any vertebrate for that matter).  It is used in cosmetics frequently.  A wash with water mixed with a little soap, rinse again and you'ld be good to go I think.   
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »
My potted citrus are inside more than outside from now until April. Spider mites are bad. Spider mites like dry conditions.  Every now and then, put your potted trees in the tub/shower and let the shower rain on them. When not below freezing and mites are bad, take them outside and hose them down with water hose making sure to blast undersides of leaves. This and neem oil should help. Gotta stay ahead of those mites; a new generation of mites starts each week.