Author Topic: Jaboticaba root suckering  (Read 5942 times)

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba root suckering
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I searched around but couldn't find a direct answer to this - I have a fairly large Jaboticaba in a pot that has yet to fruit. It is starting to put up root suckers - should they be removed or no - assuming remove but I am new to growing Jaboticaba.

thanks.
- Colin

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba root suckering
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »
Probably a matter of personal preference. I would personally remover them.

Adam may know better.

I searched around but couldn't find a direct answer to this - I have a fairly large Jaboticaba in a pot that has yet to fruit. It is starting to put up root suckers - should they be removed or no - assuming remove but I am new to growing Jaboticaba.

thanks.
Jeff  :-)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
I was under the impression that Jabos dont sucker? Are you sure they aren't just sprouting seeds?
- David Antonio Garcia

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
Mine don't sucker in the traditional way, but they do send up suckers at the base of the trunk. I'm thinking this is what he's referring to.

demingcr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
Mine don't sucker in the traditional way, but they do send up suckers at the base of the trunk. I'm thinking this is what he's referring to.

This is indeed what I am referring to.
- Colin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
assuming that your tree is M. jaboticaba, cv. Sabara (most common type in the world), yes you should prune the suckers.  They will just get in your way, crowding out the maturest portions of the caulis, inhibiting sunlight from penetrating to the trunk, and draining energy from the most fruitful portions of the tree.

Who said jabos don't sucker?  and what is the "traditional way"of suckering? Do you mean runners instead of suckers?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
assuming that your tree is M. jaboticaba, cv. Sabara (most common type in the world), yes you should prune the suckers.  They will just get in your way, crowding out the maturest portions of the caulis, inhibiting sunlight from penetrating to the trunk, and draining energy from the most fruitful portions of the tree.

Who said jabos don't sucker?  and what is the "traditional way"of suckering? Do you mean runners instead of suckers?

Ya Adam, I thought he meant runners, thats what i always understood root suckers to mean.
- David Antonio Garcia

demingcr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »
Thanks all, will prune it then. Fairly certain it is the common type.
- Colin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 03:06:17 PM »
Ok, I thought runners form from roots, suckers form from the base of the trunk, or other portions above ground.

Any how, the jaboticaba can even produce runners...but I've only seen this a few times.  The roots get so large, they swell up out of the ground, like an ant hill, about 5 ft away from the main trunk.  The big roots can produce leafy branches, and eventually make another bush.   At fruit and spice park there is a tree trying to do this, the runner keeps getting cut back, so it doesn't form another tree... its really fascinating to see a mound of jaboticaba bark on the ground flowering and fruiting!!
I've seen some really amazing specimens with fruits all in the roots, in places where you'd never expect.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
traditional way == like muntingia or guava. Mine two big jabos only sucker at the base of trunk.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:07:42 PM »
ha, that would be cool.

Ok, I thought runners form from roots, suckers form from the base of the trunk, or other portions above ground.

Any how, the jaboticaba can even produce runners...but I've only seen this a few times.  The roots get so large, they swell up out of the ground, like an ant hill, about 5 ft away from the main trunk.  The big roots can produce leafy branches, and eventually make another bush.   At fruit and spice park there is a tree trying to do this, the runner keeps getting cut back, so it doesn't form another tree... its really fascinating to see a mound of jaboticaba bark on the ground flowering and fruiting!!
I've seen some really amazing specimens with fruits all in the roots, in places where you'd never expect.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »

I need to look for that tree next I go to F&S
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »

I need to look for that tree next I go to F&S

make sure you don't tread on the flowers and fruits!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »

I wouldn't call those suckers. Jaboticaba is often a multi trunked tree. You see this also in many other myrtaceaes, like grumichamas. It's up to you if you want to remove themor not. Depends on whether you want a single trunk or multi trunked tree? Nobody here bothers to remove them and they fruit fine. If you remove them you'll probably get a taller more tree like plant. If you don't they get wider and bushier.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
In defense of those who don't want to prune, most jaboticabas I've seen are self pruning, so it's not necassary...but proper pruning can make such a big difference!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »
Necro guy here :D. But I just noticed that my red jabo has a root sucker pushed out. It's easily 4-5 inches away from the main trunk, parallel and about 6-7 inches tall already with 5 tender brown leaves that are very similar to new sabara leaves. A pic is worth a thousand so I'll take one this evening.  Last time I check this tree was last friday for flowering progress and this rooter wasn't there. This red jabo was bare rooted and transplanted to a 15gal in Feb/March this year.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 01:49:10 PM »
So much for that 4-5 inches away from the trunk  ??? Its about 1.5 inches

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:50:59 PM by TnTrobbie »
F*ck squirrels and deers

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »
I got 6 red Jabos in 15 gallon pots, and a handful of them send up root suckers. I recently removed 2 different suckers with roots attached and potted them up. The first one over a month ago, and the second this past weekend. The first one has not dropped leaves so will have to see how it goes. I have one Red that had over a dozen suckers but they sprouted from much deeper in the root ball, so I just prune them away. I was wondering if I could stool a small Red Jabo, gonna experiment with that next year.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
Very cool to hear :). I'm gonna try to separate this one. I'm amazed of the growth rate. In about 2-3 days is just suddenly appeared.
F*ck squirrels and deers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk