Author Topic: The Return of the Moyas !!  (Read 5174 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
The Return of the Moyas !!
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
Check these babies out. Cookie Monster ordered a box of Heaven from Park Hill Orchards again.

This year's supply isn't quite as big as last years. Last year we ordered like 40 pounds worth !!

I just started digging into these babies, starting with the Pierce.

The pierce are insanely sweet and incredibly delicious. Taste like little green balls of vanilla and honey. When my wife had the first one, she told me, "I'd move back to California just to grow these." It sounds like a joke, but I actually gave the idea some thought !!

I just wish that God would have planned it differently -- mangoes in the winter and moyas in the summer!! That way I could eat mangoes in the beautiful south florida winter and then move to socal to eat cherimoya during the awesome socal summer!!

Now I'm having trouble deciding which are better -- moyas or mangoes!!
Jeff  :-)

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: The Return of the Moyas !!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
You lucky son of a gun. I still havent tasted a cherimoya yet and I am dying to.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »
ohh man, you're missing out. Between living in socal for 30 years and living south florida for almost 9, I'd say that it's probably the #1 best fruit of all the dozens that I've tried. In fact, cherimoya was the "gateway" fruit for me.

The bummer is that most floridians only know cherimoya from the ones they buy at publix, which is like comparing a mexican grown / imported tommy atkins to a lemon zest grown in your own backyard. I actually threw the publix moyas in the trash (and they weren't cheap!!).

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
Check these babies out. Cookie Monster ordered a box of Heaven from Park Hill Orchards again.

This year's supply isn't quite as big as last years. Last year we ordered like 40 pounds worth !!

I just started digging into these babies, starting with the Pierce.

The pierce are insanely sweet and incredibly delicious. Taste like little green balls of vanilla and honey. When my wife had the first one, she told me, "I'd move back to California just to grow these." It sounds like a joke, but I actually gave the idea some thought !!

I just wish that God would have planned it differently -- mangoes in the winter and moyas in the summer!! That way I could eat mangoes in the beautiful south florida winter and then move to socal to eat cherimoya during the awesome socal summer!!

Now I'm having trouble deciding which are better -- moyas or mangoes!!

CM
Wow! I see Sabor, El Bumpo, Santa Rosa, Pierce did I miss any?maybe Booth? You are missing Behl, Radhika, Mohen  ;) I'm going to name you the Grand Marshal of Ashoks second annual Cherimoya festival next year  ;D

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
Sounds very tasty. :)
Alexi

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »
ohh man, you're missing out. Between living in socal for 30 years and living south florida for almost 9, I'd say that it's probably the #1 best fruit of all the dozens that I've tried. In fact, cherimoya was the "gateway" fruit for me.

The bummer is that most floridians only know cherimoya from the ones they buy at publix, which is like comparing a mexican grown / imported tommy atkins to a lemon zest grown in your own backyard. I actually threw the publix moyas in the trash (and they weren't cheap!!).

Not is all lost though, I am going next year to visit my family in Chile and Argentina and I told them to save some cherimoyas for me, most of my family over there is plant obsessed thank goodness.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »

If a fresh fruit off your own tree is so different from a fruit bought in a store and sent 2500 miles away, then imagine how different a fresh durian off your own tree is from a durian frozen and sent 10,000 miles. It's easy to bash a fruit you haven't even tasted a good example of, but not very smart thing to do.
BTW, the cherimoyas here are  also pretty darned good, and quite a bit cheaper usually than in California, but almost all trees are only one cultivar: McPherson.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »
Jeff, those 'Moya' beauties look deliciously optimum/unreal, enjoy.

I've checked every letter of this (and a lot of other) Thread(s), looking for that special combination of phrases, i.e. this 'moya' variety will do great in the S. Florida climate, it's extra large size, very productive, with yearly reliable production. It's a great overall quality fruit and tree. When a description like that is (truthfully) put together, such fruit will be highly in demand.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
Hey Cookie Monster, thanks for sharing the pictures. Can you give a brief description of the highlights from each variety? Also, which one tasted the best in your opinion? Those all look super yummy.
Simon

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »
Jeff...I looked up Park Hill Orchards and found no mention of cherimoyas.  Is there a secret code word or something?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »
haha JF, you got most of them. Big sister and Honeyheart are the others.

Moya is the cool cat word for cherimoya, which very unfortunately doesn't fruit in FL :-(. Atemoya, which can be grown and fruited in FL is pretty darn close though.

I was going to do a taste test, but darn how can anyone give these things less than a 10+?? They're all insanely awesome.

The Pierce are super sweet with edible skin and little to no tart. So far they are my wife's favorite.

The Sabor are very appropriately named -- boy they got some flavor. They are really sweet with a nice tart and real complex flavor. The skin isn't as nice as the pier.

You're probably looking at the other Park Hill Orchards. The one that I got these beauties from is in SoCal and doesn't have a website yet. You can contact the owner @ chippiwa@hotmail.com. The quality of his fruit is exceptional and he's nailed the shipping -- fruits come in perfect shape and are ready to eat the day after receipt of the box.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 08:07:27 PM »
You're probably looking at the other Park Hill Orchards. The one that I got these beauties from is in SoCal and doesn't have a website yet. You can contact the owner @ chippiwa@hotmail.com. The quality of his fruit is exceptional and he's nailed the shipping -- fruits come in perfect shape and are ready to eat the day after receipt of the box.

Email sent!!  I don't bother buying 'moyas at Whole Foods anymore..too many duds for I think $7 a pound (or apiece, can't remember).

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 11:49:03 PM »
Isn't the skin bad for you?  Congrats on the box full of goodness!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 12:35:49 AM »

Moya is the cool cat word for cherimoya, which very unfortunately doesn't fruit in FL :-(. Atemoya, which can be grown and fruited in FL is pretty darn close though.

I was going to do a taste test, but darn how can anyone give these things less than a 10+?? They're all insanely awesome.

The Pierce are super sweet with edible skin and little to no tart. So far they are my wife's favorite.

The Sabor are very appropriately named -- boy they got some flavor. They are really sweet with a nice tart and real complex flavor. The skin isn't as nice as the pier.

CM
Sabor is self pollinating.....it will set a consistent crop every year without hand pollination. Honeyheart is another top tier cherimoya that will leave a lasting taste. Did you get Campas?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
I just tried a Dr. White from Quang Ong's tree, I think it would have been in the top three at the recent tasting at Ashok's place.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 04:55:36 PM »
I just tried a Dr. White from Quang Ong's tree, I think it would have been in the top three at the recent tasting at Ashok's place.

Mark, I ate one of my Booth yesterday that was the best cherimoya I tried this year. They are at their peak right now.....you know what that means? they are going to be excellent at the tasting at SCREC in two weeks.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »

for those of you wondering, I wrote to the above email address and got the following reply:

James,  

My cherimoya sales are over for the season. Please check back in mid October when my next harvest should be near. Last season a 10+lb box was $65 which included Priority Mail shipping to anywhere in the USA.

Thanks for your interest,

Peter at Park Hill Orchards

Bummer!
James

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »

for those of you wondering, I wrote to the above email address and got the following reply:

James, 

My cherimoya sales are over for the season. Please check back in mid October when my next harvest should be near. Last season a 10+lb box was $65 which included Priority Mail shipping to anywhere in the USA.

Bummer!

James, be patient, you'll tried 5 varieties at the scion exchange on the 18th and 20 + at the cherimoya tasting at SCREC in a few weeks.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »
I'll try to maintain my composure, but these ARE cherimoyas we're talking about!
James

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »
I'll try to maintain my composure, but these ARE cherimoyas we're talking about!

Hahaha I'm going to give you front row seats next Saturday :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
No campas this year. Had some last year though. Dang these boys are incredible. So far my wife is bonkers for the honeyheart and pierce, which are both super sweet with lower acidity. Honeyheart has a really nice floral flavor to it, where pierce is a blast of brix. Sant Rosa is insane, same with El Bumpo and Big Sister. How can you guys rate these things. I mean if I were judge they'd all get a perfect score. I guess you have to be so moya snobby that you can actually find imperfections in these things.

CM
Sabor is self pollinating.....it will set a consistent crop every year without hand pollination. Honeyheart is another top tier cherimoya that will leave a lasting taste. Did you get Campas?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
Yah, I'm bummed too. I'd buy several more boxes if he had any more. Best cherimoyas on the market. $65 is a steal for the quality.

James, 

Bummer!