Author Topic: Do mangosteen seeds develop new shoots?  (Read 1388 times)

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
Do mangosteen seeds develop new shoots?
« on: January 09, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
I managed to germinate a mangosteen (G. Mangostana) seed and the shoot got to about 2 inches tall and then it died. The base of the shoot is still alive (or I assume so since it is still green) but it's been about 3 months now with no new shoots, nothing. Temperature and humidity are not a problem since this was done in the tropics.

Will any new shoots develop?
Can I do anything that could possibly cause growth to occur?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Do mangosteen seeds develop new shoots?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »
I have one that has about 3 sets of leaves, then it stopped, with a dead growth tip. Its sibling is better than twice as big and twice as many pushes.  I surmise that it fed off of the seed then never really transistioned to feeding off of the soil.  Now, after at least six months of no activity it appears to be branching at the first node.  So there maybe hope for it.

If you don't have any living leaves you're probably sunk.  If it is green I'd leave it be in any case, it is still alive.

Mangosteens are heavy feeders, but if it has to be able to feed to warrant fertilzing.  You could try a little, little phosphorus which can help root growth.

Mangosteens have notoriously bad root systems so you probably don't have any stored starch in the roots.

Prognosis bad.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:48:50 AM »
Big 'seeds' are better and they are not really heavy feeders but enjoy fertile soil and micronutrients.

Feast your eyes on these 3, 200g plus whoppers I picked up today. Five of them weighed 1.15kg with the largest at around 250g.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:12:16 AM »
Big 'seeds' are better and they are not really heavy feeders but enjoy fertile soil and micronutrients.

Feast your eyes on these 3, 200g plus whoppers I picked up today. Five of them weighed 1.15kg with the largest at around 250g.

Wow, Nice!

I assume the arils were proportionately bigger. 
So is this a cultivar variation, or tree that had most of its fruit knocked off, or just one damn happy tree?

A seed out of one those would probably take off like a rocket.
Love to get me some of those.

When does the mangosteen season run in Australia?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk