Author Topic: Abiu Fruiting Age?  (Read 3470 times)

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
Abiu Fruiting Age?
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
I have a 5 yr old Abiu tree - this is the second year I have seen flowers but no fruit has set yet - what can I do to improve fruit set? Is there any way to hand-pollinate?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Abiu Fruiting Age?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
Mine took about 17 years to finally set fruit.  I'm sure you can do better......hopefully anyway.  While hand pollination may be possible, I don 't think its practical.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

GROWITFROMSEED

• Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, Zone 11b
    • View Profile
    • Grow It From Seed
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
We have a guy here that grows them. They say that it only takes a couple of years from seed. Guess if depends on the variety and where you have them planted.
Follow all my tropical fruit and gardening adventures at www.GrowItFromSeed.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
17 years???  should've planted my abius like 17 years ago.  lol

So, that's why they are so expensive.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »
Actually, I have two seedlings side by side.  The older one took 17 years to fruit.  The younger one has been in the ground 15 years and still has not put on any fruit.  Both have been blooming for years.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »
Actually, I have two seedlings side by side.  The older one took 17 years to fruit.  The younger one has been in the ground 15 years and still has not put on any fruit.  Both have been blooming for years.

DISCOURAGING  :'(

I've got one that's been flowering for about 2 yrs... about 7ft tall in a 25 gal pot...I was really hoping for some fruit set soon!

I think some varieties are much more precocious than others...while some have problems with pollination, and not being self compatible.

Harry, are your trees just random seedlings? or named varieties?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
I have seen 3 year old seedlings all bent out of shape because they couldn't hold the fruit up.Named types seem to fruit faster from seed.I have never heard of 17 years until fruiting.I would have volunteered it for mulch patrol after 6 or seven barron years.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
Abiu is very fast growing, and can fruit after only 2 years. Please notice that "can fruit" does not equal "does fruit" after only 2 years.  ;) There are so many variables that as with most things botanical it's very difficult to make sweeping generalizations that are true. I think most of us, myself included, tend to generalize based on our own very limited experience with just a very few trees, sometimes only one tree, in just one location. This is what in science is called anecdotal evidence. It's still valuable when you put a lot of anecdotal experiences together, but it still ain't science. Anyway it's all a lot of fun!  :D
Oscar

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
Abiu is very fast growing, and can fruit after only 2 years. Please notice that "can fruit" does not equal "does fruit" after only 2 years.  ;) There are so many variables that as with most things botanical it's very difficult to make sweeping generalizations that are true. I think most of us, myself included, tend to generalize based on our own very limited experience with just a very few trees, sometimes only one tree, in just one location. This is what in science is called anecdotal evidence. It's still valuable when you put a lot of anecdotal experiences together, but it still ain't science. Anyway it's all a lot of fun!  :D

Very good words and explanation !

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 06:18:22 PM »
Harry, are your trees just random seedlings? or named varieties?

Mine are both from Pine Island Nursery.  The growth habit of the two trees is totally different from each other.  One is a straight up and down grower and the other is more sprawling.  I forget what they told me at PIN as to the seedlings origin.  I believe one was Gray and the other one of the Z-?. I'm just not sure after all this time. Not even sure anyone that was there when I bought the seedlings were even sure of where they came from  Sorry...no help, I know.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »
I would have volunteered it for mulch patrol after 6 or seven barron years.

I obviously have considerably more patience than you.  Well, probably considerably more laziness is actually more accurate.  Removing these trees is hard labor.......something I abhor. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 06:31:42 PM »
I would have volunteered it for mulch patrol after 6 or seven barron years.

I obviously have considerably more patience than you.  Well, probably considerably more laziness is actually more accurate.  Removing these trees is hard labor.......something I abhor.

Probably considerably more space also. I think the more space you have the less pressure you have to remove non producing trees. Now that my land is finally getting more packed i'm becoming more ruthless with the loafer trees. ;)
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
I have one , seeds from Hawaii 2004 I think , that flowered for many years without setting fruit , only when another from Honduras planted in 2006 started to flower it also set fruit . The Honduras one fruited in 5 years and fruits non stop . Thanks to my Aussie friend I have now a few more varieties from down under .
Curious how these will do . I love the fruits but they would be a lot more appealing without the sticky latex in the peel . Anyway I did plant another 5 of the Honduras ( Lancetilla ) variety .

The leaves from the Hawaiian one is very different from the others .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk