Author Topic: Junglesop (Anonidium mannii) About time we dedicated a thread to this one!  (Read 67069 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Awesome! You'll quite probably be the first to fruit them in the USA.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Awesome! You'll quite probably be the first to fruit them in the USA.

That is unless, some crazy plant collector with $20,000 shows up and offers to buy them!  Hahahaha

Hope my prices aren't too high!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Junglesop (Anonidium mannii) About time we dedicated a thread to this one!
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2016, 10:13:52 PM »
I spoke with Paul Noren at length about junglesop.  He has not yet confirmed it is dioecious but he is strongly suspicious that it is.  He also commented that junglesop can be very good or very bad so it is important to get seeds from a good tree to increase your probability of getting palatable fruit.

John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2016, 03:14:19 AM »
I spoke with Paul Noren at length about junglesop.  He has not yet confirmed it is dioecious but he is strongly suspicious that it is.  He also commented that junglesop can be very good or very bad so it is important to get seeds from a good tree to increase your probability of getting palatable fruit.

John

I believe the term is "Androdioecy", where the species has hermaphroditic plants, and male plants, but not necessarily male/female (typical dioecious)

https://books.google.com/books?id=zy3qCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=anonidium+dioecious&source=bl&ots=OBh2mhPoWc&sig=q2yVa7y1Bw0R2gN0tSFL3xKVPd0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi9wpmbqYLRAhVCOyYKHfHyBWQQ6AEIIjAB#v=onepage&q=anonidium%20dioecious&f=false
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2017, 03:55:28 AM »
Adam,
Did the junglesop tree survive Irma?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2018, 06:51:41 AM »
Aw, man. I was hoping that the reason that these usually take at least 10 years to fruit was because they grow slowly; if so I'd be able to start one and while it would take a long time, it wouldn't take up too much greenhouse space in the meantime.  But after seeing how FlyingFoxFruit's trees have put on a good chunk of a meter per year, I guess that's not an option!

I'm also curious as to how his trees are doing.  They looked pretty healthy in the last pics.  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2018, 02:19:35 PM »
Aw, man. I was hoping that the reason that these usually take at least 10 years to fruit was because they grow slowly; if so I'd be able to start one and while it would take a long time, it wouldn't take up too much greenhouse space in the meantime.  But after seeing how FlyingFoxFruit's trees have put on a good chunk of a meter per year, I guess that's not an option!

I'm also curious as to how his trees are doing.  They looked pretty healthy in the last pics.  :)

they weren't going to be something that I propagate, and they were getting so large, i decided to sell them both...the person that got them is in a much better area for growing them, so they actually have a chance to fruit...but they chose to remain anonymous, I don't know if they share pics.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
Adam,
Did the junglesop tree survive Irma?

yes, i had sold them by then, but they did fine
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2018, 04:21:26 PM »
Well, at least it's good to know that they went to a good home  :)  Hopefully they'll be among that lucky 30% that tastes good  ;)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Jukshy farms

• Galveston Texas 9b
    • View Profile
Just got a few seeds from Cameroon,  hopefully one or two germinate. Has anyone had any luck yet?

Dane

• Australia
    • View Profile
I got around 15 from same seller and majority of them germinated.
Just don’t over water or give to much humidity.

ben mango

• View Profile

they weren't going to be something that I propagate, and they were getting so large, i decided to sell them both...the person that got them is in a much better area for growing them, so they actually have a chance to fruit...but they chose to remain anonymous, I don't know if they share pics.

I am curious how much you sold them for

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
I bought seeds from Cameroon many times. I try to grow it in Russia as a greenhouse plant. It must be stupid, but I really want to have it in my collection. I have no results yet, it is constantly rotting roots and dying. Soon going to buy another 20 seeds.
❀ Sergey ❀

無常Twiggy

• USA, Hawaii, Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2020, 05:00:22 AM »
HELP!

I first ordered 2 seeds from tradewinds fruit. They arrived partially sprouted but when i planted them in soil (fresh sterilized soil) they quickly rotted and were eaten by insects.

I searched and searched until I found a contact in Cameroon that sent me some Anondinum Mannii seeds. It took over a year to search, find a contact, and then actually obtain a pile of seeds. I managed to get 25 seeds and have had them in soil for about 6 months. Today I decided to checkup on some of them since I have not noticed any sprouting. As I feared, the ones that I checked on seem to have rotted and made no progress rooting.

Where can I find information about how to germinate and grow these trees? Also, is there any advice on where to find good quality seeds? I have not had this kind of problem with other seeds and I live in Hawaii on Oahu so I have a warm tropical climate available that should be a good growing climate for these plants. I wonder if I should have peeled off the outer shell or somehow scoured the seeds?

Please offer any advice on purchasing good quality seeds and on how to germinate and grow these trees.

Mahalo
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:03:40 AM by 無常Twiggy »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
This forum is a great place to ask such questions, but in this case you may learn just as much or more on a dedicated Facebook group:

"Annona (Raimondia and Rollinia), Asimina, Duguetia... All Annonaceae"

Several participants are posting about their early successes with Junglesop, now planting out in the field several 2-3-foot specimens.
Har

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2020, 09:57:55 AM »
Just plant your  Junglesop seeds in the ground .I did over 2 years ago no problems, same with safou.You might have to put some chicken wire around them to protect from armadillos and others.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 13, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
Yes--- direct-seeding into the ground with the seed of any tree avoids any issues with restriction or killing of taproots, or with root-binding of lateral roots.

This should be into native soil, or into improved topsoil that is over a wide area.  A deep wide hole filled with composts and potting soils and garbage, etc., such as bananas love to be planted in, is unlikely to work for any of our jungle trees.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #217 on: February 13, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
HELP!

I first ordered 2 seeds from tradewinds fruit. They arrived partially sprouted but when i planted them in soil (fresh sterilized soil) they quickly rotted and were eaten by insects.

I searched and searched until I found a contact in Cameroon that sent me some Anondinum Mannii seeds. It took over a year to search, find a contact, and then actually obtain a pile of seeds. I managed to get 25 seeds and have had them in soil for about 6 months. Today I decided to checkup on some of them since I have not noticed any sprouting. As I feared, the ones that I checked on seem to have rotted and made no progress rooting.

Where can I find information about how to germinate and grow these trees? Also, is there any advice on where to find good quality seeds? I have not had this kind of problem with other seeds and I live in Hawaii on Oahu so I have a warm tropical climate available that should be a good growing climate for these plants. I wonder if I should have peeled off the outer shell or somehow scoured the seeds?

Please offer any advice on purchasing good quality seeds and on how to germinate and grow these trees.

Mahalo
Either the seeds you got were not fresh, or you over watered and they rotted. Occasionally have these seeds for sale, but don't have any right now. They are not hard to sprout, but take very long time to show growth above ground. They put out a long tap root first, so you should either use a very deep pot or plant into the ground.
Oscar

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2020, 09:17:42 AM »

Life is good

EnglewoodFlorida

• Englewood, FL 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2020, 01:34:09 PM »
Holy tap root!