Author Topic: GROWING GARCINIA MANGOSTEEN IN DWC HYDROPONIC SET UP  (Read 798 times)

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
GROWING GARCINIA MANGOSTEEN IN DWC HYDROPONIC SET UP
« on: October 09, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »
My first experiment growing fruit seedling using a home made Hydroponic Deep Water Culture system (DWC).

I am using mason jars hand painted to match fruit color, well sort of! I was out of labels and of course when you are out labels you paint with colors that matches the fruit 🤔🤔🤣 I have one painted to match that of Achacha and a blue jar as well, not sure what to do with the blue jar!

I decided to experiment with Garcinia, specifically Garcinia Mangostana (aka mangosteen), why? simply because Garcinias in general are extremely slow growers, that couldn't be more true when it comes to Mangosteen. they are also extremely difficult to grow out of their habitat, requiring high humidity, specific soil mix, and tropical temperature all year round.

I chose a solar powered air pump I found on Amazon; so that I can move it outdoors when needed. The jars came with lids that are pre-cut and perfectly fits 3" hydro mesh basket.

I must admit I have not done any prior research to see if Magosteen would be a good candidate to grow in a DWC set up. It will be interesting to see how long I can keep it alive, I will be growing another seedling (same batch and same size) in regular soil mix to compare side by side...

its day two and I haven't killed it yet......To be continued.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: GROWING GARCINIA MANGOSTEEN IN DWC HYDROPONIC SET UP
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:58:47 AM »
For Garcinia's especially, I coat all my pots with Microkote- from plug size all the way to large rootmaker/rootpruner pots. Helps with their poor root development. I have a (second leaf set) purple mangosteen I started from seed, growing in my garage under 24 hr. lighting...looks good.
-Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk