Author Topic: How were your mangos this year  (Read 7255 times)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
How were your mangos this year
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »
I tasted a few mangos this year . We did have a lot of rain in Martin and St Lucie but I dont think the fruit up here was as washed out as some in Palm beach.  How was your fruit and were are you. One of the best fruit I had this year was PPK from up here. I had some Lemon Zest from Zills trees that was great that is Palm Beach county.
Mike

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: How were your mangos this year
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
Mine were about the same as the last couple years.  No complaints.  Individual fruit varied in sweetness, but overall good.  About 90 Angie and 90 Pickering.  An incredibly long season for Pickering.  May until August.  I picked the last one two days ago before the raccoons got it.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 05:08:49 AM »
After the early June rains, almost all fruit I tasted from multiple locations in Palm Beach County were not good, and some were even lousy.  Yes, there weee a select oddballs that showd better but only a few.  I had a small number of "ok" Sweet Tart out of the number I had, threw out many of them.  The best was Pineapple Pleasure but even that was well below what it could have been or should have been.  I also had one O-15 out of a good number of fruit I tasted that was very good, the rest were tasted and tossed.  Most were full of water.  On a consistent basis, the second the knife pierced the skin, a lot of diluted juice poured out.  I had some fruit from Bokeelia that showed better.

I had a number of early bloom fruit in May from. Palm Beach and Martin Counties that were outstanding.  The best were Lemon Zest and Pineapple Pleasure.

My assessment may sound snobish but I have no reason to eat subpar fruit.  Would rather eat good fruit or no fruit at all.  I also tasted and tossed a number of Florida grown watermelon for the same qualities.  All I have to say is thanks to the Kauai White Sugarloaf and to my fellow Cali stone fruit grower for the good fruit supply this summer.  I also had an excellent store bought plum x cherry cross that I got from Whole Foods.   It did not appear to ve a Zaiger Pluery but a different fruit cross altogether.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:21:17 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »
I'd say my crop was half of what last year's were. Some mature trees didint flower at all (Cushman, Okrung (again), Langra, Phillippine, ST Maui, Mallika, PSM). Some flowered but didn't hold much fruit (Dot, Maha, Dot, Kesar) and some flowered but didnt hold any fruit (Ice Cream, Imam Pasand). The heavy rains in early May had my first crop of mangoes washed out. It started to improve by late June. Pickering was the most productive tree but suffered again on my side with no flavor all season. Julies (my bread n butter) was up to standards by early July. Juliettes were very good this year though a short season (~2-3 weeks for 60+ mangoes) with brix hovering in the 22s. At one point I picked 14 Juliettes in the ripe-near ripe state in 1 evening. Kesar's were o k  this season. Fernandin was unimpressive and a disappointment. I let the squirrels have their way with it. Venus was very good. The couple Dots I had were very very good as well.
Top 3 mangoes:
1.Dot
2. Juliette
3. Venus
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »
Strange growing season with my Kent this year. It produced an early crop and about half of
them had jelly seed, which has never been a problem before. The second crop is still ripening
and I think they will be better. My Carrie produced only 3 mangoes and a squirrel got one of them.
My Nam Doc had a large crop but were watered down a bit by all the rain. Surprisingly, there were
only a few splits. I have a smaller Maha Chanok in a pot that produced 2 and they were excellent.
I am considering removing the NDM and planting the MC in its place.
Michael

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »

Most of mine (south central FL) were a little watered down...though we haven't received as much rain as some of you, we did have a very wet June which was when most of my mangoes were maturing. of course they were not bad enough for me not to eat them  ;)...still way better than any store bought mangoes so I'm totally fine with it.

Even my Keitts are early this year, some have been falling off the tree much sooner than the last 2 years. They are also lacking in sweetness/flavor than normal rainfall years...

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
My Carrie produced a nice crop. Fruit was great, not washed out flavor.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:58:33 AM »
In Brevard county, Florida, I had about half of the crop that I did last year. My best mangoes and producers were Carrie and Bombay. Both of these were excellent - about 40 of each from 10 ft trees. Choc anon, haden, rosigold, pickering, keitt had average years in terms of production. Some Rosies were really good and some watered down. Pickering were all good. Only a couple of Edward and LZ produced but were very good. No production from Mallika, Alphosnso, Coco cream. Only a couple mangoes from madame francis, Graham, LZ, NDM. My NDM had like 50 mangoes in its second bloom, but dropped all of them in a day and hung on to a couple of more mature ones. Not sure what happened... Overall a below average year for mangoes and will be missing them soon. Hopefully better next year ;D

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
Had what I consider an acceptable year.
There was a period of heavy rains in June when after which fruit quality really took a hit, dropped fruits, split fruits, watered down taste.
The fruits quality improved a little on what I had left and the later season crops.
Some of my trees fruited and held fruit for the first time so I have no reference point for how good the fruit should or could have been.  I was just glad I had fruit and it tasted good.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 10:54:35 AM »
The only fruit of mine that was lacking in flavor was Coco Nut cream I got maybe 25. Just not that coco nut cream taste. A little washed out. Ice Cream I had 2 they were ok .Truly Tropicals were better. Angie had 10 on 2 trees ok just not real sweet. Carrie 100 on first bloom good 100 on second bloom better. Venus 3 first fruit on tree good never had one before.
Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »
The only fruit of mine that was lacking in flavor was Coco Nut cream I got maybe 25. Just not that coco nut cream taste. A little washed out. Ice Cream I had 2 they were ok .Truly Tropicals were better. Angie had 10 on 2 trees ok just not real sweet. Carrie 100 on first bloom good 100 on second bloom better. Venus 3 first fruit on tree good never had one before.

"Coco Nut"?  That would be Coconut. 

The Coconut Cream I had in May were actually outstanding.   The ones from mid June through July...insipid, watery and downright lousy.
- Rob

floridays

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »
As with many from South Florida, the concensus seems to be be that the rains created a less than stellar mango flavor year.

I'm in Indian River county with above average rainfall this year.

Glenn- Early ones were not as flavorful as some of the later fruit

Carrie- Great taste this year with good production

Nam Doc Mai- Good production with three separate blooms, did not seem to be affected flavor wise from the rains.

Lancetilla- Mine dropped early from the trees and only a few are ripening properly

Valencia Pride- Splitting and off flavors

Keitt- Still on the tree, yet to be determined

Cogshall- Mixed bag, some less than flavorful and some outstanding. Kind of a mystery

Ice Cream- Great flavor this year but small production

All in all a steady production summer, we have had a plate or two of mango in the kitchen each day since mid-late May.

...and I think I'm up 10lbs.  ;D

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
As with many from South Florida, the concensus seems to be be that the rains created a less than stellar mango flavor year.

I'm in Indian River county with above average rainfall this year.

Glenn- Early ones were not as flavorful as some of the later fruit

Carrie- Great taste this year with good production

Nam Doc Mai- Good production with three separate blooms, did not seem to be affected flavor wise from the rains.

Lancetilla- Mine dropped early from the trees and only a few are ripening properly

Valencia Pride- Splitting and off flavors

Keitt- Still on the tree, yet to be determined

Cogshall- Mixed bag, some less than flavorful and some outstanding. Kind of a mystery

Ice Cream- Great flavor this year but small production

All in all a steady production summer, we have had a plate or two of mango in the kitchen each day since mid-late May.

...and I think I'm up 10lbs.  ;D

And like all of us, soon to be diabetic. Lol
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:11:28 PM by zands »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
I had mixed results. The early LZ, all 4 of them, were outstanding. The later crop was adequate and pretty darn good too, but a few suffered from some internal damage (bad spot that was not edible).

Dupuis Saigon bloomed profusely, but only carried two fruit to maturity. One was stolen by critters, the other was okay, not great.

Spirit of 76 produced more fruit than in past years. They were beautiful and taste ranged from very good to excellent.

Edgar (a large tree) produced very poorly. The fruit has been very good but not excellent.

PPK (a small tree) produced well for its size, from the first bloom, and did not bloom again. They fruit were excellent.  As happened last year, the tree now looks rather tired; perhaps I should have thinned it more than I did.

Sweet Tart produced and retained lots of fruit, for its modest size. They have been good to very good. I am definitely not yet an expert on when to pick and eat them, but the very mature ones did not have any off flavors.

Peach Cobbler, a small tree, produced well for its size. The fruit were very good. Most of the mangoes were fairly small, perhaps because they were clustered on only a couple branches. Again I may have eaten some of them too mature, but even those were tasty with no off flavors.

Dot, a mature tree, had an adequate crop, which were very good to excellent.

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »
Smaller crop than last year. Some anthracnose issues.
NDM were lousy; riddled with anthracnose. That tree's begging for a top graft.
Pickering was as good as usual.
Cogshall was decent.
Mallika gave up maybe 7-8 mangoes, about a third of last year's yield.
MC bore fruit for the first time (kept them down to a dozen). Good quality.
Honey Kiss also bore fruit for the first time (about 7-8 allowed to mature). Good, but the MC was better.
Unproductive, or lost fruit in early stages: Angie, Fairchild, Providence (but they're still young, this is only their third summer in the ground)..
Neelam: Still carrying fruit, but under attack by squirrels.

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:21:15 PM »
I'm in East Hillsborough County near Tampa.  We had a lot of rain, but I was not that disappointed with taste.  Currently I only have two trees in ground & the rest are in pots.  Since most of my trees are in pots I don't think that the rain affected me as much.

In Ground - PPK - Early & excellent!!   
 Cogshall - First time fruiting but was definitely bland with a bad texture.  Probably should have given it another chance but it is my first top work project.

In Pot - Maha - First time fruiting...excellent!
Peach Cobbler - First time fruiting (one fruit)...excellent!
Sweet Tart - Ugly but excellent!
Pina Colada - First time fruiting...very good.
Pickering - I need to try one from a more experienced grower (maybe I'm picking it at the wrong time) but I was not impressed this year or last year.   Which is sad since it is my biggest producer.  Currently on the top work list.
NDM - First time fruiting...good.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:22:48 AM »
I'm in East Hillsborough County near Tampa.  We had a lot of rain, but I was not that disappointed with taste.  Currently I only have two trees in ground & the rest are in pots.  Since most of my trees are in pots I don't think that the rain affected me as much.

Cogshall - First time fruiting but was definitely bland with a bad texture.  Probably should have given it another chance but it is my first top work project.

Pickering - I need to try one from a more experienced grower (maybe I'm picking it at the wrong time) but I was not impressed this year or last year.   Which is sad since it is my biggest producer.  Currently on the top work list.

You should add your respective comments on Palm Beach County fruit from the tasting.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 09:21:03 AM »

Too bad about your Pickering.  For me it's always been very sweet and good with coconut flavor.  A beautiful, small tree that produces abundantly, this year from May until August!  Maybe it would do better in the ground?
John

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
You should add your respective comments on Palm Beach County fruit from the tasting.

There are still a lot of mangos that I have not tasted & most of the ones that I tasted in Palm Beach County for the first time were watered down.  For example Lemon Zest & Coconut Cream seemed very watered down even for me ...someone that had never had a properly ripened fruit of either variety.  So much so I still have no idea of their potential flavor.  Fruit Punch & Pina Colada were better but I'm sure that they were no where near perfection.  At least with these two there was enough quality to be able to imagine how the full flavored fruit would taste like.  Before my visit PPK or Peach Cobbler was my favorite mango, but one great flavored Pineapple Pleasure changed all that!  I had one Pineapple Pleasure tree before the trip, but now I have three.  That's how much I liked it!!!!  I also fell in love with two mangos that may be old news to most, but brand new to me.  Dot & Cushman!!!!  I guess the only positive of watered down mangos is that you don't go out & buy a bunch of trees after a tasting.  I ate my last two mangos (Sweet Tart) Friday night....can't Wait till next year!!!!!

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »
I was lucky enough to sample a few varieties this year, trying to figure out what to plant in my backyard.  I would've liked to have sourced more, but unfortunately, regular working hours didn't afford me the luxury of driving to different growers everyday checking their mango menu's lol.  This is my tier ranking of what I tasted this year, some mango's like Dupuis Saigon I only got to try 1, and others like Edward, had a bunch:

Tier 1.  Sweet Tart, Sunrise
Tier 2.  Dupuis Saigon, Fruit Punch, Venus, Edward, Dot, Angie, Zebda
Tier 3.  Coconut Cream, Maha Chanok, J12, Fairchild, Pina Colada, Dwarf Hawaiian, Mekong, Zinc
Tier 4.  Julie, Nam Doc Mai, O-15, Honey Kiss, Taralay, Kathy, Seacrest, Pickering, Cogshall
Tier 5.  Lemon Zest (early season), Duncan (early season), Glenn (early season), Sturrock, Carrie, Graham, Valencia Pride
Tier 6.  Bombay (think the one I got was spoiled or something - tasted nothing like the Bombay I've had in Jamaica), Rosigold (pretty bland tasting)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »
My Madame Francis and Carrie were very good, but my Julie Seedling kept dropping the fruit before ripening on the tree, and were bland. The lone Ice cream was very good but the single Lancetilla split wide open from the rain :-(

Glenn did not have one fruit.
Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
My Madame Francis and Carrie were very good, but my Julie Seedling kept dropping the fruit before ripening on the tree, and were bland. The lone Ice cream was very good but the single Lancetilla split wide open from the rain :-(

Glenn did not have one fruit.

It is common for Lancetilla to split, with or without rain...its actually the beat thing that could happen to them.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 10:24:12 AM »
I am very fortunate on the West coast not to experience any loss in flavor this year with my mangoes. It was a toss up between Lemon Zest and Dot, both could beat each other on any given day. Peach Cobbler was good once I figured out its sweet spot with ripening time which was not easy with this fruit but seems easy now.  The later Peach Cobblers are even better and I still have a few on the tree. Lemon Zest has surprised me with how long of a season it has produced. The very end of May it gave a fruit and then started giving slowly from then. I still have about 6 on the tree into mid August which is amazing considering it is hanging on like a mid-late season mango in production times.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »
I actually had 11 LZ left on the tree.