Author Topic: Gotta have more varieties of mango!  (Read 8853 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta have more varieties of mango!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »
Have you actually tasted Carrie?. Not everyone like it.

If you need small, I'm pretty sure lz is a big tree, although I've never seen a full grown tree. I'm sure someone here can comment on that.

Nat is correct, LZ will easily reach 35 feet if left alone...and possibly larger as it ages though the jury is still out.
- Rob

Dexter_FTG

• Friends dont let friends eat a Tommy Atkins!
    • Davie, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
I have tasted Carrie. SUPER sweet. I thought I was buying a carrie tree a few years ago. Planted it in the ground and it fruited a couple years later, but it wasn't carrie (Bendersgrove told me it was a pickering). Pickering is also a very good mango (kinda coconutty sweetness), but I still want that long awaited Carrie.
 I have a sweet tooth, that's why I started growing tropical fruit. They are like candy... only "healthy".
Mango: the other white meat

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »
I have tasted Carrie. SUPER sweet. I thought I was buying a carrie tree a few years ago. Planted it in the ground and it fruited a couple years later, but it wasn't carrie (Bendersgrove told me it was a pickering). Pickering is also a very good mango (kinda coconutty sweetness), but I still want that long awaited Carrie.
 I have a sweet tooth, that's why I started growing tropical fruit. They are like candy... only "healthy".

A Val Carrie ripened to its peak (they must be left to where most varieties would be considered overripe), is sweeter than a Carrie.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »

Maybe you should re-try before you buy and plant one. There should be Carrie fruit available within 30 days
Many despise it as having a piney, herby, medicinal taste. I happen to like it a lot but many do not. Sure Carrie are sweet but that's not the first thing that comes to mind when I eat one

natsgarden123

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »

Maybe you should re-try before you buy and plant one. There should be Carrie fruit available within 30 days
Many despise it as having a piney, herby, medicinal taste. I happen to like it a lot but many do not. Sure Carrie are sweet but that's not the first thing that comes to mind when I eat one

Ditto

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 01:33:12 PM »
JF any info on the Manila Blanca? Where is the pic from? Is it the "Manililla"  or Manilita with pink blush?
I would add

PPK
Peggy
Manila Veracruzano
Manila Blanca
Dama

El verde es vida!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 08:09:55 PM »
Carrie also has a nice tart if eaten at the right stage. Super sweet plus tart equals fantastic! It's a winner in my book.

Val Carrie is incredible. There were some earlier rumors about it not being anything to write home about, but hopefully those rumors will be dispelled as more and more try them.

Dot is insanely yummy, and mine has no issue with production nor fungal issues. It's only 8 or 9 feet tall but has produced 2 good, fungus-free crops, despite being 10+ miles inland. I believe dot to be resistant to powdery mildew (though I can't confirm this), which is the primary issue in my yard.

Sweet tart rawks.

Lemon Zest is boss.

Had an angie that was quite delicious. Finally planted one out myself.
Jeff  :-)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »
JF any info on the Manila Blanca? Where is the pic from? Is it the "Manililla"  or Manilita with pink blush?
I would add

PPK
Peggy
Manila Veracruzano
Manila Blanca
Dama

central de abastos but they are all over the place 

these are coconutty flavor...much better than Pickering. Yucatan early local mangos(April-May) are amazing, hope to bring them to Socal soon
I'll post pix in another thread

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »
Carrie was one of my favorites I tried last year. 

when your planting 2 dozen trees, we are not just planting for one person,  having a variety of fruit also means having a variety of flavors,  as you have noticed one persons favorite, is not exactly the others.

Rosy Gold, and Glenn, are really good suggestions.  Glenn is my wife's favorite, just wonderful. Rosigold/Rosy Gold will satisfy your mango thirst after the drought.

Kent is one that never lets me down,  being a late mango, not as late as Keitt,  but in my opinion Kent is superior to Keitt taste and texture wise.  Keitt which you already have is a must have because it will probably be the last mangoes you will have in the season, they are very productive, and good quality.

So my list is:

Rosy Gold
Glenn
Carrie
Kent.

By reputation and not personal experience as my trees are small still.
Angie
Lemon Zest
Coconut Cream

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "