Author Topic: Sri Kembangan Origin?  (Read 8910 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Sri Kembangan Origin?
« on: September 27, 2012, 02:08:46 PM »
Sorry to go off topic here but if Sri Kembangan star fruit originated from Seri Kembangan, Malaysia ... why is it called Sri Kembangan?  Does anyone know the history behind this?
Tim

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: Sri Kembangan Origin?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
"Sri" is an honorific for a man or god... in Hindi and some Indian dialects.  Not sure if that factors into this fruit name but....
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:41:46 PM »
Do you recommend the Sri Kembangan over Kari?  I prefer sweet starfruits

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »
Well no, cuz Kari died just as quick in my hands ;D
Tim

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
Sorry to go off topic here but if Sri Kembangan star fruit originated from Seri Kembangan, Malaysia ... why is it called Sri Kembangan?  Does anyone know the history behind this?

http://animhosnan.blogspot.com/2010/04/ciri2-klon-belimbing-malaysia.html
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »

Sri K. is a little larger, but Kari is a little sweeter. But both are very good.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 07:18:35 AM »

Sri K. is a little larger, but Kari is a little sweeter. But both are very good.
Based on being grown in Florida...if both are let to FULLY RIPEN, with NO green whatsoever, their sweetness is pretty equal and both very good (of course, rainfall will play a role in the intensity of flavor and sweetness).
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
I've got both the kari and sri kembangum.     The kari produces more and is sweeter in my opinion.  But, not by much.      I've heard the kari is a seedling from sri kembangum, but I forget where I heard that from .     I also have the bell variety.  The bell is huge, but not as sweet.   Kari is the sweetest I have ever tasted and I think is the best.    However, I've only tasted the usual available starfruit. 

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:41:56 PM »
I was fortunate enough to visit at least a dozen carambola farms this summer and ate Kary, Sri Kembangan, Arkin, Hart, Bell, Fwang Tung, Kajang, B-10, Lara, and some Taiwanese cultivars, don't remember the names but the Hart variety blew the others doors off.  Its small and pale colored but the sweetness was much more notable. 

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:24:49 AM »
Pan Dulce, thanx for the feedback. I thought Fwang Tung was probably the best I had tasted however I have not tasted the Hart variety. Interesting, I may have to get one. Pan Dulce do you know where I can get my hands on a Hart variety tree???
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:51:50 PM by cuban007 »

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 01:56:13 AM »
I was fortunate enough to visit at least a dozen carambola farms this summer and ate Kary, Sri Kembangan, Arkin, Hart, Bell, Fwang Tung, Kajang, B-10, Lara, and some Taiwanese cultivars, don't remember the names but the Hart variety blew the others doors off.  Its small and pale colored but the sweetness was much more notable.
How was the Kajang?

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:43:59 AM »
The Hart sounds real nice.

http://www.echonet.org/content/fruitInformation/624

'Hart' is a white-skinned cultivar, pearlike in flavor, described as sweet and delicious. Fruits are small and delicate. Trees are small and easy to manage.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »
Sri is good but I like Kari a little better. Definitely sweeter.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »
 was fortunate enough to visit at least a dozen carambola farms this summer and ate Kary, Sri Kembangan, Arkin, Hart, Bell, Fwang Tung, Kajang, B-10, Lara, and some Taiwanese cultivars, don't remember the names but the Hart variety blew the others doors off.  Its small and pale colored but the sweetness was much more notable.

I ADORE THE FLAVOUR AND MEATY TEXTURE OF KEMBANGAN. I THINK HARTE IS SPELT WITH AN 'E' AT THE END??????

HARTE IS DISTINGUISHED BY ITS UNIQUE FLAVOUR  = VERY PERFUMY.    IF YOU LIKE IT, IT IS A GREAT ONE FOR A BACKYARD COLLECTION. IT HAS NO COMMRCIAL POTENTIAL.
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
Thanks foryour thoughts. I have a Kari (Kary) but I never tasted fruit from it yet. Saw and was tempted to buy a small Sri K loaded with fruit for it's size (7-8) but the Hart (Harte) sounds very interesting. Who is SoFla is selling it  ;D .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
'Sri Kembangan', 'Fwang Tung', and 'Bell' are my favorites, each different enough to merit having all three. 

Because of the occasional rave reviews of 'Hart' (Harte?) --- how it tastes like pear or melon or ..., I keep trying it, but I have never been favorably impressed.   The tree is small and productive, but most of the fruits look thin-skinned and damaged, and most trees I've seen are just occasionally sampled out of curiosity, with most of the crop going to waste, even though it is not because of over-whelming quantity.

It could be, that with tender-loving-care, such as keeping all dead twigs snipped out, growing it in a shade-house or under a lightly-shading tree,  and extra careful handling while picking, that the 'Hart' might  be worthwhile.
Har

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
Treehouse nursery on pine island (Bokeelia,FL) has Hart.  I bought one last month from them. 

Brad
Brad

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 07:42:54 AM »
Treehouse nursery on pine island (Bokeelia,FL) has Hart.  I bought one last month from them. 

Brad
Many nurseries sell Hart...Har was not saying the variety was rare but I guess he was referring to the rarity in the profile review of the fruit.  On the other hand, Har - did you mean "rave reviews" ?  I have heard some give outstanding reviews in its pear/melon flavors.  While I agree, SK and Bell are better, if a Hart is left to ripen absolutely fully (it will get a slight golden tinge to its pale color) the taste is very good.

Oh, I have never seen Hart spelled with an "e" on the end...
- Rob

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Definitely no 'e' on Hart. Must have been a mistake when I accessed it from within Oz.

small, 'white' skinned, highly aromatic..perfumy  Mine is on a multi-graft with Arkin. I like it but can understand why many would spit it out.

Interestingly I really enjoyed eating the very superceded 'Knight' last year.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
Yes, 'Thai Knight' is another one that I like very much.
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »
Ok if it is a name your favorite thread now I reckon B-10,B-17,Fwang Tung and Giant Siam are big guns in the 'good taste of the fruit' stakes.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »
I have had B-17 this year and last year and I found it to be inconsistent, from fair to excellent.  It was much better last year, specifically last winter.  I have a feeling all the rain we have had this summer has played a large role in this.
- Rob

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »
Of the B series i am impressed with B-16

Leu Gardens Orlando has B-10 with ripe fruit now = more than acceptable

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:01 PM »
I'm growing Arkin, Kari, Sri Kembangan, Thai Knight, Hart, Bell and a selection from Possom Trot Nursery they call....coincidently, Possum Trot.  For me. Sri Kembangan.Thai Knight, Bell and Kari are pretty close in overall eating quality.  Hart is a bit strange for me. The ants love them and I have a terrible time with them farming scale on the fruit.  I bough my Hart tree about 15 years ago when Excalibur Nursery was hawking it as the "best" carrambola.  It was said that it had a pear flavor.  I cannot really say that it does to me.  It does have a flowery. sweet flavor that is pleasant but, for me at least, a notch or two below the others I mentioned. I also have two seedlings I have fruited with mixed results. I have tried some of the B series and found them decent but not superlative, but have limited experience with them and did not do any side by side comparisons. 

As to the origin or history of the Sri Kembangan....just to bring this post back out of post derailment mode, I had always thought that it was a Thai selection.  In doing some research, it seems that is, rather, a Malaysian selection.  Maybe it originated in Malaysia and was origianlly Seri, then moved through Thailand on its way here and became Sri. 

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:56 AM »
I'm growing Arkin, Kari, Sri Kembangan, Thai Knight, Hart, Bell and a selection from Possom Trot Nursery they call....coincidently, Possum Trot.  For me. Sri Kembangan.Thai Knight, Bell and Kari are pretty close in overall eating quality.  Hart is a bit strange for me. The ants love them and I have a terrible time with them farming scale on the fruit.  I bough my Hart tree about 15 years ago when Excalibur Nursery was hawking it as the "best" carrambola.  It was said that it had a pear flavor.  I cannot really say that it does to me.  It does have a flowery. sweet flavor that is pleasant but, for me at least, a notch or two below the others I mentioned. I also have two seedlings I have fruited with mixed results. I have tried some of the B series and found them decent but not superlative, but have limited experience with them and did not do any side by side comparisons. 

As to the origin or history of the Sri Kembangan....just to bring this post back out of post derailment mode, I had always thought that it was a Thai selection.  In doing some research, it seems that is, rather, a Malaysian selection.  Maybe it originated in Malaysia and was origianlly Seri, then moved through Thailand on its way here and became Sri.
this reasoning was due to side by side tasting results at some of the PBCRFC events.  Not sure who was doing the tasting but I agree it would not be the winner in a side by side if all fruit was ripened properly and fully.  Bell seems to be the choice to get the top billing in recent years.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk