Author Topic: Looking for Mexican Garcinia  (Read 6939 times)

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
Looking for Mexican Garcinia
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »
Hi,
      I am hoping someone knows of a source I can buy a mexican garcinia plant or seeds. A plant would be awesome, but seeds are better than nothing. I would pay for shipping, etc. Thanks~ Nikki
Nikki

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Looking for Mexican Garcinia
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »
Hi,
      I am hoping someone knows of a source I can buy a mexican garcinia plant or seeds. A plant would be awesome, but seeds are better than nothing. I would pay for shipping, etc. Thanks~ Nikki

Hi Nikki, Luc on this group is the one and only man to get these seeds from. Adam has started grafting them, so that may speed up access to plants. I think it was Tomas who had a few plants a while back some plants available?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
Nikki,

I think I will be able to provide grafted plants soon!

if my prototype tree does well, I will make more next year.

Seedlings are hard to come by, unfortunately.

let me know if u can't find one anywhere, I can help u ask around for one.

good luck

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:47 AM »

Hi,

Hi Nikki, Luc on this group is the one and only man to get these seeds from. Adam has started grafting them, so that may speed up access to plants. I think it was Tomas who had a few plants a while back some plants available?
  Luc contacted me, and you are right on :) And I see Adam responded below, sounds like he might have some possibly if everything goes well. But, who is Tomas? Thanks for the info~ Nikki
Nikki,

I think I will be able to provide grafted plants soon!

if my prototype tree does well, I will make more next year.

Seedlings are hard to come by, unfortunately.

let me know if u can't find one anywhere, I can help u ask around for one.

good luck

Thanks Adam, you are so helpful! That would be great if your grafting goes well, I would def. be interested! Oscar mentioned a man named Tomas? Have a good one~ Nikki
Nikki

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
Tomas is just a humble fruit collector, that happened to collect all the fruits we wish we could find or grow, before we even knew what they were.

:)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »
Yes I had some plants of Mexican Garcinia to share but they are long gone - sorry.

Tomas

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »
Yes I had some plants of Mexican Garcinia to share but they are long gone - sorry.

Tomas

Place your order at least a month in advance Tomas and get a seed permit or trough a friend that has one...
I have several orders already for next season..
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »
Oh, hi Tomas the humble fruit collector *waves  :) Well Luc, it looks like the fate of mexican garcinia is in your hands!  ;D ::)  :)
Nikki

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
Oh, hi Tomas the humble fruit collector *waves  :) Well Luc, it looks like the fate of mexican garcinia is in your hands!  ;D ::)  :)

I believe a seed permit will let you import safely 50 seeds , all garanteed germination , plenty plants to trade ( and make a buck )
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 07:22:37 PM »
Hi littlegrower,

Nice to meet you! Just follow Luc's advice and get a seed import permit and you are good to go. I have gotten 100% germination so far, and I have ordered way over 50 seeds in the past years.

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »

I believe a seed permit will let you import safely 50 seeds , all garanteed germination , plenty plants to trade ( and make a buck )

There is no limit to 50 seeds. You can import as many seeds as you want. The stipulation is that they be in bags of 50 seeds in each bag. The reason for this is so they can inspect them rapidly without opening.
Oscar

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »
Hi,

Just to be precise (excerpt from Small Lot Seed Permit):

7. Each packet must be limited to a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon, per packet.

8. Each shipment must contain no more than 50 seed packets.

Tomas
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 07:41:11 PM by Tomas »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »
Hi,

Just to be precise (excerpt from Small Lot Seed Permit):

7. Each packet must be limited to a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon, per packet.

8. Each shipment must contain no more than 50 seed packets.

Tomas

Yes and that text is kind of ambiguous. I got it clarified long ago by APHIS. It doesn't limit you to just one taxon 50 seeds max. Like i said before it limits each bag to 50 seed of one taxon. They don't want you to put 2 different kinds of seeds in same bag. So for example if you want to send 100 durian seeds you have to use 2 bags, 50 seeds in each bag. I have this in writing from APHIS. A lot of people misunderstand this because of the ambiguity in the way it is stated. Warning: a lot of the people at APHIS themselves are confused about what the rules really mean. That's why i got clarification and wirtten letter from head honcho. Also letter of apology from lower downs that misunderstood the rule and tried to stop my shipments.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:01:25 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »
Luc- are you saying you'd have seeds at some point?? Dang, 50 seeds at about 100% germination!!  :o I don't know if I could handle that many! lol
Tomas- Hi!  :) Are you talking about 100% germination from Luc's seeds?? And how does this whole seed permit thing work?, does it take a while to get, and does it cost much?  ???
Oscar- Thanks for the tip!  :)
Nikki

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »
Luc- are you saying you'd have seeds at some point?? Dang, 50 seeds at about 100% germination!!  :o I don't know if I could handle that many! lol
Tomas- Hi!  :) Are you talking about 100% germination from Luc's seeds?? And how does this whole seed permit thing work?, does it take a while to get, and does it cost much?  ???

The permit is free, it is not a lot of work and it about a month to get mine.

I'm sure if you get 50 to germinate you wont have a hard time finding a home for the extras. Nudge Nudge
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »

You can read about what a Small Seed Lot permit is here, and also there is a link on this page to where you can apply online:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml  Unfortunately it's now written in layman's english. But if you have any trouble understanding it just ask.
Oscar

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I tried to apply using the website over the weekend.  I was able to create an account but I get an error when I trying to log in:

Server Error in '/Login' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.
The request failed with the error message:

Bad programmers  :'(.  I am thinking of going to the USDA facility on Krome.

David, is your permit still valid?  Maybe you could do us the favor and receive these seeds for us.

You can read about what a Small Seed Lot permit is here, and also there is a link on this page to where you can apply online:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml  Unfortunately it's now written in layman's english. But if you have any trouble understanding it just ask.
Brandon

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
You will probably have to go to a local substation to produce ID and verify your identity to achieve Level II status.  Once thats done you can sucessfully login and apply for a permit online.  I have a pending application for small lot of seeds of Garcinia ssp. with Mexican origin, just waiting for approval.  Luc, I hope you will put me on the list for seeds next season!

I currently have about 25 seedling G. Magnifolia started and some other Garcinia species too!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:22:36 AM by pj1881 (Patrick) »

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

Fresh seeds will be available May - June 2013
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

Ok, Luc.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll take them all.

LOLOL.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »

Ok, Luc.

LOLOL.

Oh, silly Adam, Luc has already promised them to me  :P ;D  JK!  ;)
Nikki

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I had a dream about Mexican garcinia last night.... The plant I have started to have problems then all its leaves fell off (maybe from cold damage?). I was worried in the dream until I looked upon the plant, and saw lots of new growth emerging  ;D.

I guess the plant is on my subconscious mind... lol

Good luck with all those seeking this wonderful fruiting plant.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:37:12 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
I tried to apply using the website over the weekend.  I was able to create an account but I get an error when I trying to log in:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.

David, is your permit still valid?  Maybe you could do us the favor and receive these seeds for us.

Unfortunately their website is extremely user unfriendly. It's been that way for a long time, i  complain to them about it, and they never do anything at all to improve it. I just got bumped off after achieving Level II clearance just because i didn't log in for 6 months. So if you don't periodically use the account you're outta luck. Phone them to regain status and you're on hold for 1/2 an hour and then they finally tell you: sorry we're closed for the day.  :(
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
spread the wealth...evenly, and all on my slice of bread.

Ok, Luc.

LOLOL.

Oh, silly Adam, Luc has already promised them to me  :P ;D  JK!  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »

Yes, my permit is still valid, I actually just got it because I am go Peru in December and have a long list of things I am gonna bring back.

I'd be willing to receive them fir you, for a small fee of a seed or two of course  ;D ;D ;D
- David Antonio Garcia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk