Author Topic: Which is the best Jackfruit variety as far as sweet-taste and productivity?  (Read 40682 times)

onecone

• australia NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the best Jackfruit variety as far as sweet-taste and productivity?
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »
I don't think there is any one true answer to this.  I would eliminate J-30 and Mai 2 (Mai 2 cause it doesn't seem to be as productive) and add Dang Suria/Red Morning, Bangkok Lemon and Excalibur Gold, otherwise depending on who you talk to, what they are growing and where they are grown, they are all very good varieties that you would no go wrong with.  Noel will most likely tell you that J-31 is the winner while I would be hard pressed to chose from Excalibur Red, Dang Suria, Mai 1, Mai 3 and hard not to keep Bangkok Lemon in the mix.  To be fair to Noel, I have tasted his J-31 and it is definitely excellent but I am partial to the aforementioned Reds and the Mais (1 & 3).  I am sure Harry, Clint and Sheehan will chime in and their opinions should also be highly regarded.

I know this was very little help but it is honest advice.  You are going to have to throw a dart and pick or wait till later this year and taste them for yourself before you buy...

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
I don't think there is any one true answer to this.  I would eliminate J-30 and Mai 2 (Mai 2 cause it doesn't seem to be as productive) and add Dang Suria/Red Morning, Bangkok Lemon and Excalibur Gold, otherwise depending on who you talk to, what they are growing and where they are grown, they are all very good varieties that you would no go wrong with.  Noel will most likely tell you that J-31 is the winner while I would be hard pressed to chose from Excalibur Red, Dang Suria, Mai 1, Mai 3 and hard not to keep Bangkok Lemon in the mix.  To be fair to Noel, I have tasted his J-31 and it is definitely excellent but I am partial to the aforementioned Reds and the Mais (1 & 3).  I am sure Harry, Clint and Sheehan will chime in and their opinions should also be highly regarded.

I know this was very little help but it is honest advice.  You are going to have to throw a dart and pick or wait till later this year and taste them for yourself before you buy...
Sorry to pick on you. I see posts like this many times where it's all quote and no new text outside of them. I'm wondering what the purpose of it is. Is it a way to "like" the quote?

Welcome to the forum! Hope you find the seeds you're looking for and hope you stay to learn more about growing them then share your own experiences.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2015, 06:31:47 PM »
Productivity is high with almost all cultivars in the right conditions. More tropical types won't be quite as good if grown in conditions too cool for their best performance.Sloppies are preferred by very few people over the crisper types.
That being said none of the golds are elite, and I could name at least 10 australian varieties that are not good enough.J31,NS1 and Bangkok lemon are good.J33 must be great just by reputation alone but berry and ambr are the cream of the crop here and were probably selected from large numbers of crosses of other good types.I have tried a vietnamese lemony type of great quality and a couple of deep orange fleshed fruit of great taste.I don't know what the real dang Suria is.
You can't really judge the fruit quality until about the 3rd season as they change and improve.There is an element of personal taste within reason but most people seem to agree when they try a few as to what is good and poor. Prices in the markets can be an indicator of quality but not always.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2015, 06:36:52 PM »
Hey Mike do you recognise any of the daleys varieties and would you recommend any? I can't find berry or ambr anywhere.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2015, 07:04:49 PM »
They have property names and the names of individuals attached that I don't recognise.I am sure there are some good ones but who knows.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
Cool, are the ambr and berry actually available? I have room for 1 or two jakfruit and want good ones.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
How would one Compare the amber and Berry to Excl Red in taste.. And is there anyone with Amber or berry seeds or trees available
Www.sailing-charters.org

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2018, 12:24:06 AM »
Update:

I had high hopes for my 2 feet tall J-31, but it died a couple of years ago soon after planting. I suspect that there was a problem with the location not being an optimum one. That was a bit painful but I got over it with time.

Freaky Update:

At the start of this Thread, I mentioned my one and only prized Jackfruit Variety: Sweet-Fairchild. This being the only Jackfruit variety that I’ve ever tasted, must have blindsided me from realizing that there are probably much better tasting Jackfruit varieties out there.

I also mentioned that I planted the fast growing and productive Sweet-Fairchild under 2 nuisance giant Royal Poinciana trees; the S-F Jackfruit is in my yard and the 2 giant RP trees are in my neighbors’ yard. Now, check this out. For years I had prayed that my neighbor cut them down, so much so that I even considered paying for it. Finally, This year the neighbor hires some imbeciles and they cut down the giant tree. The giant RP tree fell smack center in the middle of my neighbors’ fancy SUV! I saw this as it happened with my own two eyes (true story)!

A few months later- now a few weeks ago - the neighbor hires imbeciles again to cut down the 2nd giant Royal Poinciana tree. And, - wait for it - a section of this second giant RP falls over my side of the yard and right smack center on top of my Sweet-Fairchild Jackfruit tree! Now it’s as if my S-F Jackfruit tree was never there!

Looking at the bright side: At first I was a bit sad, but now I’m excited about the possibilities. Now I have the Sunshine and Space to plant about 4 more fruit trees; at least 1 or 2 of them will be Jackfruit. So far, after going over all the recommendations from the experts on this Thread, the top 2 contenders are: J-31 and NS1. But, I haven’t made a final decision yet, and I’m in the process of also considering other Jackfruit varieties not yet mentioned in this Thread. Thanks to all the experts and for all the great information so far.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2018, 06:40:33 AM »
I've got that same thing going on next door with the RP tree, shading an area I could grow 3 trees in, and I also offered to pay to cut it down...nothing yet..my first jakfruit tree that's only 3 years old fruited this year and had 16 fruit on it,starting in May, I just picked the last one a week ago...it's an Excalaber Red and is excellent...I've also got Mai 1 and Bagkoc Lemon that should fruit next year, and the year after.. I also have An Amber x Mai 1 cross that's slow growing
I'm planning a few dozen seeds of the ExRed today and will see how they do

Www.sailing-charters.org

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:45 AM »
Great selections of Jackfruit varieties you have there, congrats. Thanks for the heads up and good luck with the RP, they can be very dangerous.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Balinad

• Philippines, Northern Samar, Las Navas
    • View Profile
    • Balinad Farm
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »
"EVIARC Sweet " The Sweetest Jackfruit with a sugar content of 25.14 Brix, the international measurement of sweetness based on total soluble solids. Normally, the sweetest jackfruit has a sugar content of 16 to 18 brix.
http://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=PH2009000427
http://www.bic.searca.org/news/2011/may1/phi/13.html
https://www.facebook.com/EVIARCSWEET/

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »
Echo FARMS in North Fort Myers set me up with ns1, bangkok lemon, j31, black gold and orange crush jakfruit seedlings. All are growing like weeds and I hope to share my results with there fruiting in near future.

Balinad

• Philippines, Northern Samar, Las Navas
    • View Profile
    • Balinad Farm
The sweetest Jackfruit is "EVIARC Sweet" from Philippines

https://www.facebook.com/EVIARCSWEET/