Author Topic: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)  (Read 175608 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »
In no particular order :

Avocado (hass.... That nutty flavor)

Persimmons (I could eat them until I drop dead)

Prickly pear (My mother used to tell me I'd make me constipated to stop me from stuffing myself)

Mangoes (I'm sad to admit that the best I've had so far are VP I don't get too many varieties here and Coconut Cream, Pickering, NDM and more and only exotic names to me)

And last but not least.... Cherimoya!!!!

Good to see the humble prickly pear made someone's top 5! It is a great fruit.

I have also heard that the seeds can cause  constipation very badly.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 02, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »
5 is not enough room  :'(.  In all reality there is only one fruit I can not stand and that's miracle fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum haven't tried the other fruit called miracle fruit) I am in the group of people who can taste the protein and it taste like artificial sweeteners for hours. yuck. The funny thing is I have 11 miracle fruit trees because my wife loves them.

Thought it was just me.  I was like:  When is it gonna stop?!!  Let me wash it down with a beer  :o nope, that didn't work....ugh.  I also despise stevia for similar reasons, but at least it goes away quicker.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »
5 is not enough room  :'(.  In all reality there is only one fruit I can not stand and that's miracle fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum haven't tried the other fruit called miracle fruit) I am in the group of people who can taste the protein and it taste like artificial sweeteners for hours. yuck. The funny thing is I have 11 miracle fruit trees because my wife loves them.

you like June Plum?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2015, 12:03:21 PM »
lol i took some miracle fruit to a party with a bunch of drunkards...they got so pissed when they realized it made their favorite beer taste different (stale/sweet)...

it was the exact opposite response I was expecting.

if you want the effect to go away, you can put your tongue under hot running water, or swish with hot tea...heat destroys the glycoprotein!

Thought it was just me.  I was like:  When is it gonna stop?!!  Let me wash it down with a beer  :o nope, that didn't work....ugh.  I also despise stevia for similar reasons, but at least it goes away quicker.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 02, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »
good to know, on the hot tea solution
~Jeff

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
I still have many fruits to try but so far...

1.cherimoya
2.mango
3.jaboticaba
4.mangosteen
5.jackfruit

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:23 PM »

you like June Plum?

Never had it, so I will change my statement to say the only fruit that I have tried that I don't like is miracle fruit.

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 02, 2015, 04:29:56 PM »
In no particular order :

Avocado (hass.... That nutty flavor)

Persimmons (I could eat them until I drop dead)

Prickly pear (My mother used to tell me I'd make me constipated to stop me from stuffing myself)

Mangoes (I'm sad to admit that the best I've had so far are VP I don't get too many varieties here and Coconut Cream, Pickering, NDM and more and only exotic names to me)

And last but not least.... Cherimoya!!!!

Good to see the humble prickly pear made someone's top 5! It is a great fruit.

I have also heard that the seeds can cause  constipation very badly.

Oh so that was for real???  ;D Never believed her!!!

Did you know prickly pear seed oil is the most expensive in the world but it has amazing proprieties?

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 02, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »
I think we should agree to go with the assumption that mangoes are in everyone's top 5!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #359 on: June 02, 2015, 07:00:18 PM »
I think we should agree to go with the assumption that mangoes are in everyone's top 5!!

Mangoes are in my top 5, but not at the very top. I have tons of lychess and mangoes right now and much prefer to eat the lychees. I don't get tired of lychee, but mango gets tiring.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #360 on: June 02, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »

lol not everyone likes Michael Jackson!

but he was considered the king of pop!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 02, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »
From what is currently available;
1. Any annona I can get my hands on
2. Grefé and Masa mangos
3. Hog plums
4. White caimito
5. There is a tree with some dark purple acerolas that I have been flogging on occasion

Pana and tamarindo agria get an honorable mention but these are only for cooking
Life is good

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 02, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »

Mangoes are in my top 5, but not at the very top. I have tons of lychess and mangoes right now and much prefer to eat the lychees. I don't get tired of lychee, but mango gets tiring.

Yeah don't bother with the mangoes, just send them over to me... I'm sure you have them varieties I will never get a chance to taste...

Diospyros

• Paris, France
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »

lol not everyone likes Michael Jackson!

but he was considered the king of pop!

But then again not everyone knows a good singer when they hear one! ;D

I havent read (yet) everyone's answer but I haven't seen any mention of pawpaws! Though it's not a tropical fruit, it still taste very much like one and I was pretty sure it would be top tier...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:09:43 PM by Diospyros »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 02, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »
In loose order

Sapodilla
Persimmon
Atemoya
Canistel
Mulberry

"Do you prefer fruits that are easy to eat, Gary?  I noticed that mulberries were the only messy fruits.  Or did you gravitate towards lower acidity as time went on?  I found your comment on evolving tastes interesting..."

Sorry, I don't know how I missed this but...

No, ease has nothing to do with it. Atemoya are messy (at least when I eat them), as are mulberry. 

Stopping at 5 was a chore though because Jaboticaba and carambola are also among my faves.

Regards,

Gary

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
From what is currently available;
1. Any annona I can get my hands on
2. Grefé and Masa mangos
3. Hog plums
4. White caimito
5. There is a tree with some dark purple acerolas that I have been flogging on occasion

Pana and tamarindo agria get an honorable mention but these are only for cooking

Dark purple acerola sounds interesting. Post a pic if you can.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 03, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
what does it matter, Sheehan...they'll still be green when you eat them  ??? :'(
~Jeff

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 03, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
I will post a pic as soon as I can. I am down to just my phone and am charging it in my truck. The electrician is here and time follows its natural course in la isla. ;D No laptop use in the near future for me. In fact, the only laundromat on the island just went out of business, I will soon be down to just a grass skirt in my wardrobe.
Life is good

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #368 on: June 03, 2015, 02:41:45 PM »
i thought the fruit gets dark purple on the varieties we have here...but I never like them at this phase...they have an off putting flavor...kind of musky...

i like them early, and when they are fully red, or even partially green...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
x
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:26:35 AM by DurianLover »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #370 on: June 03, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
Need to update my favorites. They are in precise order.

1. Durian. Only top quality. (Current leaders: XO, Black Thorn, and Red Prawn. Also a few unforgettable seedlings that will remain mystery forever.)
2. Mangoes. Lemon Zest and Orange Sherbet.  (I would prefer these two even over some good durians. OS does impossible and makes mango creamy somewhat.
3. Cherimoya.
4. Mangosteen. ( Variety "masta king" )
5. Marang.
6. Chempedak. (select varieties)
7. Pulasan.
8. Persimon. (perfectly ripe astringent is so darn good!!)
9. Abiu
10. Cherries. ( California grown are slightly better )
11. Sugar apples.
12. Watermelon. ( Heirloom European varieties. Extra sweet and crispy. American conventionally grown seedless are only good enough to practice your AK-47 shot)
13. Cotton candy grapes. ( Hats off to creators for a masterpiece. They are busy breeding new varieties)
14. Lychee.
15. Duku langsat.
16. Northern berries. (they are all on pretty much the same level of acceptance for me. Includes: raspberry, blueberry, bilberry, red gooseberry, black and red currants)
17. Sapodilla. (Varieties Hasaya and Squam's Tom)
18. Kesusu (Prainea Limpato)
19. Mamey Sapotte (only tasted Pantin)
20. Pomegrantes ( non acidic from California are exquisite and so refreshing!)
21. Red salak. (Different from regular salaks. Juicy and aromatic)
22. Jaboticaba ( Only tasted Sabara. Slightly better than grapes, but inedible skin is a negative factor)

What I learned from forum: keledang, premier garcinias and starapples, Ricardo's cambuca are most likely candidates to change my listing.  If I ever taste them that is.

Interesting that kesusu (Prainea limpato) makes it to your favorites list. What does it taste like? I've never had it?
Also i am curious, the kesusu fruit looks like it has no exterior peel. Doesn't it get attacked by insects and other animals?
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 06, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »
Kesusu sometimes refereed as close relative to artocarpus family, so no surprise taste and texture similar to some sweet artocarpus. At first you only taste sweet. Sour kick comes 1-2 seconds later. Imagine very soft jackfruit or chempedak, than add berry twist with a dash of cranberry sourness. I hope this will help your imagination juices flowing :)

Yes, you are right, no exterior peal. Just an ultra thin skin. You can get sense of that skin looking at my photo of wrinkles on exterior. Entire fruit is exposed out in the open. I felt a little bit uneasy eating it, because you don't know what was landing on those fruits. I did not see any bird damage.

Despite being perhaps most exotic looking fruit in the world, I think it has very limited commercial potential even for a farmers market, because arils separate from the core quite easily. Basically you have to cut it from the tree and hold it by the stem to make it presentable. Stacking one on another will ruin them. You will just end up holding arils in you hand, like I do in the photo. It does not mean I'm down on the tree. Actually would like to plant two more.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2015, 02:28:36 AM »
Kesusu sometimes refereed as close relative to artocarpus family, so no surprise taste and texture similar to some sweet artocarpus. At first you only taste sweet. Sour kick comes 1-2 seconds later. Imagine very soft jackfruit or chempedak, than add berry twist with a dash of cranberry sourness. I hope this will help your imagination juices flowing :)

Yes, you are right, no exterior peal. Just an ultra thin skin. You can get sense of that skin looking at my photo of wrinkles on exterior. Entire fruit is exposed out in the open. I felt a little bit uneasy eating it, because you don't know what was landing on those fruits. I did not see any bird damage.

Despite being perhaps most exotic looking fruit in the world, I think it has very limited commercial potential even for a farmers market, because arils separate from the core quite easily. Basically you have to cut it from the tree and hold it by the stem to make it presentable. Stacking one on another will ruin them. You will just end up holding arils in you hand, like I do in the photo. It does not mean I'm down on the tree. Actually would like to plant two more.

Great description and photo. Thanks!
Oscar

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 01, 2015, 11:45:09 PM »
In no particular order...

Durian
Marang/jackfruit
Mabolo
Lychee
Pineapple (must be ripened on the plant)
As previously mentioned, mangos are a given,..

Obviously I like strong, distinctively flavored fruits.

afriadoni

• thanks God , i was born in paradise :)
    • jl. ganesha 01,kotabumi,Lampung , Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • tropicalseeds.wordpress.com
« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37:10 AM »
Well cultivated plant or hybrid plant will taste better i think . Nangkadak for example . Its just my opinion anyway