Author Topic: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)  (Read 176135 times)

Greenhaven

• Gold Coast hinterland, SE Qld, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
Too tough to choose just 5! I'm cheating a little and will count some families.  ;)  In no particular order:

1. Pouteria (espec. love the thick, creamy ones such as Canistel, Green & Mamey Sap.)
2. Anonnaceae  (can't choose between a decent Atemoya, Cheimoya & Rollinia. Soursop good too.)
3. Mango (no turps though)
4. Moraceae (Figs, Mulberries and Jakfruit - what a family!)
5. Sapodilla

Yes, I'm a sweet tooth when it comes to fruit!  ;D

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »
HAHAHAHA I don't know, you can't take the hass out of the californian. Them things are like drugs. Avocado heaven.

0) Mango
1) Cherimoya
2) Lychee
3) Atemoya
4) Avocado (Hass)

I thought you liked mangos? But you gave them a zero?  ;)  Some day you'll have to have a real avocado. Those Hass are only avocado look alikes.  ;) ;)
Jeff  :-)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
HAHAHAHA I don't know, you can't take the hass out of the californian. Them things are like drugs. Avocado heaven.

0) Mango
1) Cherimoya
2) Lychee
3) Atemoya
4) Avocado (Hass)

I thought you liked mangos? But you gave them a zero?  ;)  Some day you'll have to have a real avocado. Those Hass are only avocado look alikes.  ;) ;)

I have to disagree Reed much better then Hass! Maybe its me though we are so use to abundant quality Hass, it gets kind of boring to eat all the time.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Jackfruit
Lychee
Sugar Apple
Mango
Pineapple
Zach

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »
1- mango
2- atemoya
3- Lichee
4- longan
5- avocado
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2013, 01:32:08 AM »

0) Mango
1) Cherimoya
2) Lychee
3) Atemoya
4) Avocado (Hass)

I have to disagree Reed much better then Hass! Maybe its me though we are so use to abundant quality Hass, it gets kind of boring to eat all the time.

I recently introduced a Californian to Reed avocados. She ate avocados every day, but had never in her life bought any other avocado apart from Hass. Didn't even know any other avocados existed! Now she won't buy anything besides Reeds. Complains to me when they are out of season.  I think that's why so many Californians like Hass....it's the only one they've ever had.  ::)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:23:29 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
hehe yah, I need to try a reed one of these days. I had a sir prize recently that was really good but still not as good as hass.

Here in FL, all we have are big giant sweet watercados that are good for guacamole and rootstock, but not much else. Guatemalan / Mexican race guacs are about as common as two-headed iguanas here.

Carlos (CTMIAMI) is planting out some of the better californian cadoes. I'll be super curious to see how they perform here. Kudos to him for trying.
Jeff  :-)

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
My top 5 favorite fruits are
1)Mango
2)Lychee
3)Orange
4)Jack fruit
5)Grape

Roy

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
My top 5 favorite fruits are
1)Mango
2)Lychee
3)Orange
4)Jack fruit
5)Grape

Roy

I've never had good quality grapes in India. I think they are about as good as most California seedless grapes = really poor quality eating.
Oscar

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 13, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »
1.pear especially asian pears
2.cherry
3.wax apple
4.avocado
5.citrus

expanding
6.lychee
7.olive
8.pistachio
9.peaches
10.grapes
11.dragon fruit
12.peanuts
13.persimmon
14.white sapote
15.coconut
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:44:58 PM by digigarden »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2013, 09:05:52 PM »
Reed,shepard and even sharwil I reckon are better than hass.Reed and shepard don't blacken when cut like others and grow in tropical climates.Hass is slowly losing market share in recent years to shepard and sharwil in this neck of the woods and fuerte has now almost disappeared from the shelves.

Five favorite fruits huh....

1 durian
2 sweet yellow passionfruit
3 atemoya
4 longkong
5 abiu

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
Mike T, that Sweet-Yellow-PassionFruit you mentioned sounds tasty. Large, sweet and productive, it's like you can't go wrong with it. I'd love to buy some seeds.  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:07:17 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »
Reed,shepard and even sharwil I reckon are better than hass.Reed and shepard don't blacken when cut like others and grow in tropical climates.Hass is slowly losing market share in recent years to shepard and sharwil in this neck of the woods and fuerte has now almost disappeared from the shelves.

Five favorite fruits huh....

1 durian
2 sweet yellow passionfruit
3 atemoya
4 longkong
5 abiu

Mike, do you have Reed avocado growing there?
I agree that Sharwil is better than Hass. And Sharwil is mediocre compared to most of top class Hawaiian avocados. Still Sharwil is the top commercial type here. Farmers here are trying to get an exclusion to ship Sharwil to continental USA. If succesful that would be the end of the reign of the Hass. My guess is that the California avocado growers association will fight it tooth and nail, as they have before, because they know it will really take a bite out of their business.
Oscar

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »
Oscar
Only 3 fruits we get round the year:Apple,Banana & Grape.
When I do not get seasonal fruits,I eat these fruits.
There are many varieties of banana,my favourite being Amritvani(AP)/Sapree(Tripura)
The cheapest fruit in India is banana.
I get California grapes but very expensive for me(4-5 US dollars/kg) ,so I take green Nagpur grape,seedless for 1 US dollar/Kg
In the last 3 days I ate 3 types of Mango-Banginnapalli,Chinna rasalu and malgova

Roy

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2013, 01:11:10 AM »
Oscar I have a big reed in the yard and there are only about 4 guatemalans that can even survive in Cairns.The floridian and hawaiin types are hardly here but the Californian guatemalans and G X M have been here forever.We could use the floridians and hawaiins.

Reed would flourish in Hawaii and sth florida, as would wurtz,hazzard and shepard if they do here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2013, 01:27:08 AM »
Oscar I have a big reed in the yard and there are only about 4 guatemalans that can even survive in Cairns.The floridian and hawaiin types are hardly here but the Californian guatemalans and G X M have been here forever.We could use the floridians and hawaiins.

Reed would flourish in Hawaii and sth florida, as would wurtz,hazzard and shepard if they do here.

Mike, thanks for the info. I'll have to add Reed to my avo. collection. Wurtz already exists here, but i've never seen Reed, or Hazzard and Shepard.
Is there any chance of getting scion wood to you thru your ag? I think Hawaii really excels in it's avocado cultivars.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2013, 06:59:17 AM »
More chance of the martians landing than me gettin avo budwood from the US.Corporations and industry groups can do it but it takes a whole lot of money and patience.I have looked through the lists of floridian and hawaiin avo varieties and even made phantom selections that would never happen.Since the 'green curtain' slammed down in recent years not much new comes in.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
More chance of the martians landing than me gettin avo budwood from the US.Corporations and industry groups can do it but it takes a whole lot of money and patience.I have looked through the lists of floridian and hawaiin avo varieties and even made phantom selections that would never happen.Since the 'green curtain' slammed down in recent years not much new comes in.

OK, i'll send the avocado scion wood over on the Martian flying saucer. They probably have faster delivery.  ;)
Not impossible the other way around...IF...you can get a phyto. Is that difficult for you?
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
I will starts Reed avocado thread.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
My new Top 5 Favorites ;)

1. Garcinia sp. ;)
2. Marula   
3. Cherimoya
4. figs
5. Malay apple
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
My new Top 5 Favorites ;)

1. Garcinia sp. ;)
2. Marula   
3. Cherimoya
4. figs
5. Malay apple

I like that list!

Here is my top fruit list for this year;

1) Lychee
2) Cherimoya
3) Avocado (Reed)
4) Dragon Fruit
5) Prickly Pear
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:49:37 PM by nullzero »

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »
1) Cherry, my family grows more than 30 varieties commercially and nothing taste better and I never get tired of them.
2) Mamey, love this fruit. nothing comparable and no other pouteria comes close. I would eat 3 a day when I lived in mexico, when I left america my Patin was covered in fruit, hope the tree is still doing well.
3) Jujubes, when in season I practically live off them and they have different flavors at different ripenesses
4)some grapes - favorites Diamond muscat grapes/concords/muscadines, best grape though a bit on the small size. 
5)persimmons, astringent, non astringent both good, and dried persimmons are the best dried fruit in the world

honorable mention
caimito, sapodilla, peaches,cloud berries, raspberries, white sapote, jackfruits and relatives, watermelon, lotus persimmon (I like the flavor), salak (more and more into), Giant Chinese cape gooseberries I find in the markets in china. Many others good and I might change my mind on whats best.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:15:37 AM by murraystevena2 »

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
1) Cherry, my family grows more than 30 varieties commercially and nothing taste better and I never get tired of them.
2) Mamey, love this fruit. nothing comparable and no other pouteria comes close. I would eat 3 when I lived in mexico, when I left america my Patin was covered in fruit, hope the tree is still doing well.
3) Jujubes, when in season I practically live off them and they have different flavors at different ripenesses
4)some grapes - favorites Diamond muscat grapes/concords/muscadines, best grape though a bit on the small size. 
5)persimmons, astringent, non astringent both good, and dried persimmons are the best dried fruit in the world

honorable mention
caimito, sapodilla, peaches,cloud berries, raspberries, white sapote, jackfruits and relatives, watermelon, lotus persimmon (I like the flavor), salak (more and more into), Giant Chinese cape gooseberries I find in the markets in china. Many others good and I might change my mind on whats best.

Nice list, Steven.

I'm with you on the cherries and persimmons, they both make my top 5 list, as well!

I also like jujubes, and agree that their flavors have a wide range depending on their ripeness.

Jaime

dcusseaux

• united states, texas, spring, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
Top List

1.Cashew Apple/Nut
2.Mango
3.Black Sapote
4.Sapodilla
5.Blue Java (Ice Cream Banana)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2013, 12:37:40 PM »
Top 5 favorites in no particular order

1.(Melons)watermelon/muskmelon/cucumber(fruits/veggie???)
2.pluots/ plumcots(so many varieties with different flavor profiles and textures)
3.ripe mangoes and green mangoes(again so many types with different flavors and textures)
4.blueberries
5.longan and it's many relative species

Honorable mentions are jackfruit, mangosteen, lychee, citrus, passion fruit, papaya, pineapple, star fruit, dragon fruit and maybe durian??(although I only had frozen store bought one before).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:53:11 PM by thao »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk