Author Topic: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)  (Read 175734 times)

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
Re: Top 5 favorite fruits (including non tropicals)
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »
1. Durian
2. Mango
3. Lognan
4. Mamey sapote
5.  Imma leave it open until later..

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »
Hello everybody. Here are my 5 favs.
1. Durian
2. Cherry
3. Sapodilla
4. Atemoya/Cherimoya
5. Lychees

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2013, 11:49:02 PM »
in photos
horvin plums of national grow

national orange

apple var anna

peaches var red jarillo

and pears but have not photos of here, are of the variety triunfo de viena

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
Favorite fruits....1 durian 2 pulasan, 3 duku langsat, mangosteen, coconut, ...I love all the rest too.  But these i could spend all day with ;)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »
Favorite fruits....1 durian 2 pulasan, 3 duku langsat, mangosteen, coconut, ...I love all the rest too.  But these i could spend all day with ;)

I understand all of your choices except number 5.   While I may not agree, nor should we, your first four choices hit a comprehension point in my brain.  Coconut....however, not at all.  You enjoy eating fresh coconut meat ahead of mangoes, lychees, longans, watermelon, pineapple, peaches, plums, cherries, citrus, grapes....I could go on and on. 

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »
Yes those are all glorious...no doubt.
But for me after eating my other tops.. Young coco water....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the young spoon meat.  Aaaahhhhh.. On a hot day sipping a young coco is heavenly.  Gotta be a fresh young nut.  I could have coconut water everyday I'd never get sick of it.

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2013, 01:35:58 PM »
I've got to agree with Micah on this one.  A sweet coconut with medium/hard jelly is a beautiful thing.  I have yet to have a good one in south florida but perhaps it is because I don't know where to look.  I'm not sure it would crack my top 5 but I can certainly understand the reasoning behind the choice. 
George

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
1. Genip
2. mamoncillo
3. spanish lime
4. mangosteen
5. sweetsop

Genip was mentioned only a couple of times. It's not surprising though considering 90% of the genips you see will be of poor quality, like the ones at grocery stores. You would most likely have to take a trip to south Florida or to the Caribbean during the summer to find decent ones. Even then you would have to shop around to find the sweet freestone varieties with smaller seeds.

To me the improved genip varieties beat any fruit in texture and flavor. However I've yet to try langsat, pulasan, white sapote, or a decent durian.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »
But for me after eating my other tops.. Young coco water....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the young spoon meat.  Aaaahhhhh.. On a hot day sipping a young coco is heavenly.  Gotta be a fresh young nut.  I could have coconut water everyday I'd never get sick of it.

I'm still scratching my head on this one....but I do appreciate your passionate defense of your choice.  That was quite few mmmmmmmm's ahhh's.  I am convinced that you are convinced.  ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2013, 06:24:18 AM »

I'm still scratching my head on this one....but I do appreciate your passionate defense of your choice.  That was quite few mmmmmmmm's ahhh's.  I am convinced that you are convinced.  ;)

If you lived here where delicious coconuts abound you would understand better, i think. ;)  Coconut is tops in thirst quenching class of fruits. I rank fruits in 3 classes: dessert fruits, fruits that are whole foods, and the thirst quenchers.
Oscar

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »
Don't think I ever posted to this thread. I'll go with the following, based on my limited experience:

1. Cherimoya
2. Mango
3. Lychee
4. Pineapple
5. Strawberry, esp. Mara des bois, which I`ve had little success keeping from snail and slug damage. :-(

James
James

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »
Don't think I ever posted to this thread. I'll go with the following, based on my limited experience:

1. Cherimoya
2. Mango
3. Lychee
4. Pineapple
5. Strawberry, esp. Mara des bois, which I`ve had little success keeping from snail and slug damage. :-(

James

Good choices, James.  But California peaches and plums (the right varieties at peak ripeness) can be phenomenally delicious.
John

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
Coconut is tops in thirst quenching class of fruits. I rank fruits in 3 classes: dessert fruits, fruits that are whole foods, and the thirst quenchers.

I have absolutely no hesitation in comprehending coconut as the top thirst quencher.  I guess I am reading the thread title differently than others. Top five favorite could be whatever is your favorite of all of the types of fruit you mention. I guess if I lived in a desert with no good water, coconut would be my all time favorite also. But I was reading the title as being best fruits objectively....which is wrong because it says favorite and not best.....very subjective. I'm going to stop scratching my head now.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »

1. Cherimoya
2. Mango
3. Lychee
4. Pineapple

James

Good choices, James.  But California peaches and plums (the right varieties at peak ripeness) can be phenomenally delicious.

You'll get no argument from me there, John!
James

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 15, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

I never get good peaches. I buy them and get disappointed. I think they are sprayed a lot. The seeds split open. Half the flesh is funky or the fruit is unripe and will never get sweeter. California plums>>> I hit good ones all the time, the blacker the better.  Good plums are highly underrated. The Poles and others make alcohol (Slivovitz) from them. My guess is grapes (for wine) have it tough there so they resorted to plums
Cherries travel great all the way from Washington State to Florida and are my favorite North fruit.

Mangoes taste close enough to peaches so I am not going to bother with them anymore. Peaches that is.

emegar

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »

I never get good peaches. I buy them and get disappointed. I think they are sprayed a lot. The seeds split open. Half the flesh is funky or the fruit is unripe and will never get sweeter. California plums>>> I hit good ones all the time, the blacker the better.  Good plums are highly underrated. The Poles and others make alcohol (Slivovitz) from them. My guess is grapes (for wine) have it tough there so they resorted to plums
Cherries travel great all the way from Washington State to Florida and are my favorite North fruit.

Mangoes taste close enough to peaches so I am not going to bother with them anymore. Peaches that is.

A good peach IS hard to find.  Definitely one of the most disappointing fruits, when prematurely harvested, stored, and shipped.  A homegrown peach is hard to beat.  Sadly, I just had to cut down my tree, as it was in the process of dying a lingering death (possibly fungal, or borer-related).
James

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Yes, in Florida good peaches are probably impossible to find in the supermarket.  When I lived in L.A., I would go to the Central Wholesale Market and search for boxes of the best peaches--even that took a lot of effort.  I had a Babcock peach tree that produced honey-sweet, white-fleshed peaches--nothing like 'em!  But peach trees are susceptible to pests and diseases and have short lives.

The best plums are Japanese varieties, not European, that melt into liquid as you eat them.  Ever hear of Elephant Heart plums?  Not something you could ever find in a store, not even in CA!  (I love Satsumas, too, and the Santa Rosa--God bless Luther Burbank for that one!)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:05:58 PM by johnb51 »
John

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:57 PM »
Its not 100% of the time, but I have gotten excellent peaches and nectarines at Costco before.  I much prefer the California fruits to the eastern peaches they often sell.  There have been times when the fruits did not ripen properly.  However, there have been times when the fruit were so good that I overlook the times when they have not been good.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
You're going to start a CA vs GA peach battle ;D

Its not 100% of the time, but I have gotten excellent peaches and nectarines at Costco before.  I much prefer the California fruits to the eastern peaches they often sell.  There have been times when the fruits did not ripen properly.  However, there have been times when the fruit were so good that I overlook the times when they have not been good.
Tim

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2013, 01:13:12 PM »

The CA Central Valley, as a commercial agricultural region, grows the best deciduous fruit in the world, as a general rule.  It's the climate, the soil, and even the water.  Other regions and valleys in CA were known for specific fruits, but nowadays subdivisions have replaced the agricullture.  CA ain't what it used to be, but still you can't get a home for under a half-mil!  (Why is that???)
John

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
The CA Central Valley, as a commercial agricultural region, grows the best deciduous fruit in the world, as a general rule.  It's the climate, the soil, and even the water.

Amen.  I am a believer!!!!!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »

I don't think our forum is well represented when it comes to Georgia peach growers.  However, living most of my life in Florida and traveling many times through the heart of Georgia peach country during peak season, I am afraid that the best of Georgia peaches do not stand up to the best that California has to offer.  There is no contest here in my humble opinion. (I certainly invite and welcome responsible opinions that may be to the contrary).
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »

I don't think our forum is well represented when it comes to Georgia peach growers.  However, living most of my life in Florida and traveling many times through the heart of Georgia peach country during peak season, I am afraid that the best of Georgia peaches do not stand up to the best that California has to offer.  There is no contest here in my humble opinion. (I certainly invite and welcome responsible opinions that may be to the contrary).

Carlos
I disagree. I'll have 007 send you a box.

Sorry Harry your not Carlos I'll send you some of my Red Baron, Santa Barbara and Babcock next June, and you are right LOL
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 02:37:35 PM by JF »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
Coconut is tops in thirst quenching class of fruits. I rank fruits in 3 classes: dessert fruits, fruits that are whole foods, and the thirst quenchers.

I have absolutely no hesitation in comprehending coconut as the top thirst quencher.  I guess I am reading the thread title differently than others. Top five favorite could be whatever is your favorite of all of the types of fruit you mention. I guess if I lived in a desert with no good water, coconut would be my all time favorite also. But I was reading the title as being best fruits objectively....which is wrong because it says favorite and not best.....very subjective. I'm going to stop scratching my head now.

Coconut is almost in a class of its own. The only other fruit that really comes close to it is the palmyra or toddy palm discussed in another thread. Coconuts supply you with lots more than delicious drinking water. Picked at the right stage they have delicious jelly meat inside to eat. If allowed to mature the hard meat is excellent for making coconut cream. Any food cooked in coconut cream becomes a gourmet meal. I think the Thais make especially good use of coconut cream in their cuisine. Little known is that sprouted coconuts have incredibly delicious candy-fluffy meat inside! So at each stage the eating quality and use is very different. Same goes for the water inside the nut.
I think there is a tendency to overlook fruits that we eat lots of in the favorites category. If i were to think of the fruits i eat the most of they would be bananas, avocados, and coconuts. These rarely make it to favorites list just because they are so common place, not because they aren't excellent fruits.
Oscar

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 15, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
Anybody heard of Fresno, CA( the central valley)?..............It's the agricultural capital of the world.....or is it just the nation? Some of the best produce(stone fruits, grapes and 350 other varieties of produce) comes from this part of the world. If you ever get a chance to try any tree ripen peach, plum, pluots,etc, from Fresno, you'll be in heaven ;). This is quite daring to say, but, I must say, any well flavored tree ripen pluots(plum x apricot), peaches(yellow & white flesh), nectarines and Japaneses plums, will rival even some of the best tasting mangoes ;) ;D
But, I only wish we can grow some more tropical fruits like Mangoes, longan, etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk