Author Topic: Gotta love all the Florida pests :(  (Read 4789 times)

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Gotta love all the Florida pests :(
« on: August 20, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
So first it was the citrus greening literally destroying my newly planted Persian lime right before my eyes.  Now it's the little leaf notcher weevil chewing away at my mangos planted this past Feb.  I read something on this board about a product called Tanglefoot that you can buy on Amazon but other than that one mention I haven't really seen anything related to its effectiveness with these beetles.  Do they ONLY climb up the trunk?  I know they can fly but apparently not very well (?).  If they can fly up to the leaves I can't imagine that Tanglefoot will keep them off of the tree.  If they can't really fly how did they get here in the first place?  Any thoughts/suggestions?  Other than the chewed leaves the trees look healthy. They seem to like my Sweet Tart more than my Pickering for some reason.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta love all the Florida pests :(
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »
They decimated 3 young guava plants here. I've been hand picking them off the tips.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 11:54:10 AM »
If you want to get rid of the Sri Lanka Root Weevil, you will need to get on a Imidacloprid drencing regime.  Not only are there little gray bastard weevils but there are grubs underground chowing on the roots.  You can try all the "safe" or "baby" treatments but you will just be wasting a lot of your time and sacricing parts of your tree.
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
I am still trying to find a cure for this weevil. I used Imidacloprid and it helped but the weevil becomes
immune to it as well. I was recommended to try a nematode called steinernema that attacks the larvae.
I tried it in the spring and it helped but currently they are getting out of control. The steinernema are
recommended to keep under 90F which isn't happening now. I may try this again this winter coincidently
I have less fire ants then ever this year? Anyway one night I googled and googled and found this product
that has good reviews? http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/talstar-talstar-one-p-97.html  I haven't tried it
yet but I have sprayed malathian and pyrethrin insecticide directly on the weevil with no effect. If anyone knows
something please share it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:01:03 PM by achetadomestica »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
Tanglefoot kills bark.  You must put a bark-protecting wrap on before painting with Tanglefoot.

grubGone spores might work, if you can find it.

Azadirachtin drenches suposedly help (I have not tried that.)  Aza-Sol, Molt-X....
Har

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »
Yeah, it's funny how they like some mango trees better than others.  In my yard it's the Mallika they like.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »
I currently have zero of the Sri Lankan and other leaf notchers. I have had it them the past. A Kent mango tree simply grew stronger and grew out of it. But I lost some other trees such as lychee which just does not do well in my hi-PH calcerous soil. Though it could do well if I acidified the soil w sulfur and used nutrient sprays. I have a neighbor with a lychee tree. It has not grown much in four years.

If you want to be really appalled by Sri Lankan and other leaf notchers go out at night with a flashlight and a tarp you put under the tree. You will see 10x more than during daytime. Start shaking your trees branches, bugs fall onto the tarp and start squashing the little bastards. If you can gently pick up tarp and pour an inch of diesel fuel into the center. Gather up tarp and slide them into the kerosene/ aka diesel fuel which is easily obtained.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:13:40 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
As I stated, an infestation of them requires a regimen of ISD.  Not just once or twice.  It may take more than a year to get rid if them, or at least under reasonable control.   I also recommend using a commercial product, not Bayer Advanced (I have never had success with Bayer Advanced for whatever reason, whether fir weevils or leaf miner).
- Rob

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »
Sorry, what's ISD?

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
for the record, tanglefoot is useless againat sri lankan weevils. I have not found a reliable method of controlling them, but haven't used the stuff Rob recommends. Other than finger crushing them of course....

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
Depressing..do I just let things run their course and hope the tree is strong enough?  I'm not sure I've learned of any silver bullet thus far. I'm OK spraying them every weekend with something FWIW if that will help.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 06:43:27 PM »
Sorry, what's ISD?

Imidacloprid Systemic Drench
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:11:37 PM »
As I stated, an infestation of them requires a regimen of ISD.  Not just once or twice.  It may take more than a year to get rid if them, or at least under reasonable control.   I also recommend using a commercial product, not Bayer Advanced (I have never had success with Bayer Advanced for whatever reason, whether fir weevils or leaf miner).
What are the brands of the commercial products of imidacloprid available in Florida?
Oscar

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 09:26:50 PM »
There must be some thing that eats them wherever they came from. Wondering if there are any lizard or frog species that eat them..
Even if there is a predator that eats them, there are so many burrowing owls in my neighborhood that they have decimated all the treefrogs and lizards that might help. Literally a half dozen owl nests within a few blocks of me.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »
There must be some thing that eats them wherever they came from. Wondering if there are any lizard or frog species that eat them..
Even if there is a predator that eats them, there are so many burrowing owls in my neighborhood that they have decimated all the treefrogs and lizards that might help. Literally a half dozen owl nests within a few blocks of me.

We only wish.  Been dealing with them here for years.  There are also other simar weevils in Florida.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 10:02:14 PM »
What are the brands of the commercial products of imidacloprid available in Florida?

The are many "brands" available here, Merit and Quali-Pro being a couple...and a lot of generics that are a better value. 
- Rob

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 10:06:10 PM »

We only wish.  Been dealing with them here for years.  There are also other simar weevils in Florida.

I have anoles all over the place in my yard.  Wish they would eat them. 

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 10:44:18 PM »
Most of my citrus trees has some kind of greening or something cause young leave to curl up (not leaf miner). I heard from a nursery owner that there will not be any cure (greening) for the next 5-7 years until they develop a new root stock. I notice that my younger trees are more susceptible than the older citrus tree, still better not plant any until something new come out. 
Something is eating my mango trees older leaves, not sure it's "little leaf notcher weevil" or something else.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 11:34:48 PM »
Most of my citrus trees has some kind of greening or something cause young leave to curl up (not leaf miner). I heard from a nursery owner that there will not be any cure (greening) for the next 5-7 years until they develop a new root stock. I notice that my younger trees are more susceptible than the older citrus tree, still better not plant any until something new come out. 
Something is eating my mango trees older leaves, not sure it's "little leaf notcher weevil" or something else.
Citrus greening doesn't cause leaf curl on new leaves. Usually that is leaf minor. Citrus greening has definitely
hurt the industry, but what most of the remaining groves are doing is increasing the fertilizer. The citrus industry
use to average 350 boxes of citrus per acre. Now with the increase of fertilizer and other chemicals the groves are
trying to use, the breakeven point is 200 boxes per acre. I know someone who manages a smaller grove and he averaged
260 boxes per acre last year and he complains the owner won't pay for what he wants to really do. The juice prices are up and
the remaining groves who are willing to put out the costs are making a profit. If you look around some groves are adding trees
now. I think what the nursery was saying is if an actual cure or new root stock were to happen it would take at least 7 years
to prove the results. If citrus greening never happened the actual juice market would be flooded and the growers would be
complaining about no money because of over supply. What a fun business the citrus industry has been with canker and now
greening.
What does this mean to the backyard grower. Not much really. Who needs 350+ oranges per tree? I have several tangerines and they are
loaded with fruit. I am sure they have greening, I am surrounded by groves and one is a rocks throw away from my house. I have a kishu
right now loaded with fruit probably 200 or more. I have two ponkans with several fruit even though I cut them back severely
and was trying to give them the year off. I have way more tangerines then I will ever eat and will end up giving allot away.
You may have to double or triple the fertilizer but the backyard grower should be able to produce more then enough.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 12:04:07 AM »
Citrus greening doesn't cause leaf curl on new leaves. Usually that is leaf minor. Citrus greening has definitely
hurt the industry, but what most of the remaining groves are doing is increasing the fertilizer. The citrus industry
use to average 350 boxes of citrus per acre. Now with the increase of fertilizer and other chemicals the groves are
trying to use, the breakeven point is 200 boxes per acre. I know someone who manages a smaller grove and he averaged
260 boxes per acre last year and he complains the owner won't pay for what he wants to really do. The juice prices are up and
the remaining groves who are willing to put out the costs are making a profit. If you look around some groves are adding trees
now. I think what the nursery was saying is if an actual cure or new root stock were to happen it would take at least 7 years
to prove the results. If citrus greening never happened the actual juice market would be flooded and the growers would be
complaining about no money because of over supply. What a fun business the citrus industry has been with canker and now
greening.
What does this mean to the backyard grower. Not much really. Who needs 350+ oranges per tree? I have several tangerines and they are
loaded with fruit. I am sure they have greening, I am surrounded by groves and one is a rocks throw away from my house. I have a kishu
right now loaded with fruit probably 200 or more. I have two ponkans with several fruit even though I cut them back severely
and was trying to give them the year off. I have way more tangerines then I will ever eat and will end up giving allot away.
You may have to double or triple the fertilizer but the backyard grower should be able to produce more then enough.

Excellent! agreed that backyard citrus in FL is possible, I have some mandarin, calamondin, orange...all have fruits. Not sure the curly leaves is greening but it doesn't look like leaf miner (no tunnels). There are very small spots throughout the leaves. It won't kill the tree but hinder the growth.
I just bought some California oranges from Walmart (4/lbs $3.99) even sweeter than Navel oranges but with seeds. Wonder anyone know what kind of orange it is?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 12:16:14 AM »
In CA we have Navel. We buy Texan when we want sweet ones. They have seeds.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 01:31:08 AM »
In CA we have Navel. We buy Texan when we want sweet ones. They have seeds.
I don't think the sweet orange (I mentioned) was Texan because of it has much more juice. Texas orange as I remember is very dry. Certainly it's not navel (no "navel" on the bottom), probably a sweet variety of Valencia. Very sweet even the skin has some green color.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 07:48:05 AM »
Depressing..do I just let things run their course and hope the tree is strong enough?  I'm not sure I've learned of any silver bullet thus far. I'm OK spraying them every weekend with something FWIW if that will help.

My Kent mango tree was leaf notched until it got larger and stronger. Not depressing and good luck! Feed your trees at the base with wood chip mulch.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
They have released a bug that will kill the Psyllids causing the greening problem.

Brevard county  is already giving it out to  homeowners who sign up

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:57:57 AM by WGphil »

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
Well I have some interesting ( in my opinion ) experience on this topic that I hope helps.  I have a lychee tree that has been plagued with the srilanken weevils for years now and the tree always looked horrible from them.  I tried spray and soaps and tanglefoot and sqished hundreds of them.  I did not drench FYI so that may work FYI.

I noticed one day about 3 years ago a pair of English sparrows going crazy fling around the tree ..... they were there every day for a few weeks and they were eating the weevils one after another.  The next flush of new growth produced full perfect leaves with no damage ...... first ever.  Those sparrows or other sparrows .... not sure come back from time to time and do the same thing

Sooo my question or suggestion is ..... has anyone ever put a small bird feeder in or near their tree?  If the birds frequent the area they may take notice of the weevils and deal with the problem for you?