Author Topic: Guava mango  (Read 19004 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Guava mango
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »
Yep and production is workhorse / glenn level on my tree.

The one that has produced like a wild beast for me has been the Edgar. Mine bears in clusters. It bore just a few months post grafting, and then now in its second year, it has over 100 fruits. Zero anthracnose, blemish free fruits. Great mango too.

It's a delicious mango. I top worked a good portion of my glenn to guava mango a couple of years back. This year is the second year that it's flowered. My only complaint is that production is mediocre. Mine produces about 1 fruit per every 4 or so flowering terminals, even with biweekly copper spraying. When I had asked Walter about his tree last year, he conceded that production wasn't the greatest on his tree either. But, it is a delicious early season mango.

Production is much better this year.  Not a super producer but one would have no complaints with the amounts prduced this year.

I really liked Edgar last year. Put it right under some of the top contenders
Jeff  :-)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 03:45:45 PM »
Anybody know the exact parentage of the guava mango? 
My friend just got a batch of scions (including guava mango) from dongeorgio and I was curious.
Its probably another Zill's (Gary?) creation, based on the statement in this post that the tasted fruit came from Walter Zill's place.
Warren

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 05:45:24 PM »
Anybody know the exact parentage of the guava mango? 
My friend just got a batch of scions (including guava mango) from dongeorgio and I was curious.
Its probably another Zill's (Gary?) creation, based on the statement in this post that the tasted fruit came from Walter Zill's place.

Parentage is unknown.   It originated from a tree in Northeron part of Palm Beach County that was going to be destroyed due to contruction.  Walter Zill harvested scions and grafted it (top worked ) onto one of his trees.  It was named by one of his customers who loved it and always identified it by the mango that tastes like guava.  Hence it was given the name Guava.   It is not one of Gary's nor does it have anything to do with ZHPP.   If I had to guess,  I would say it has a strong Indian influence.
- Rob

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »
Thanks Rob!  I had the feeling that you would know.
Warren

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 10:41:51 PM »
Excellent tasting mango, but so far productivity has been very poor -- even with regular fungal treatment. This will be my 3rd year receiving fruit from mine (top-worked to a glenn), and I'm hoping to get more than a half dozen fruits.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

Warren the taste is good reminds of our Meele's mango from Thailand that you will try in our tasting this summer. I'm looking forward of growing here

wslau

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »

Warren the taste is good reminds of our Meele's mango from Thailand that you will try in our tasting this summer. I'm looking forward of growing here

JF,
Is Meele a zygote seedling of Pim Saen Mun, or do I have this confused with another variety?  If it is, is there any similarity between Meele and PSM?
Thx.
Warren

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 08:59:59 PM »

JF,
Is Meele a zygote seedling of Pim Saen Mun, or do I have this confused with another variety?  If it is, is there any similarity between Meele and PSM?
Thx.

Yes Warren you've got great memory. Meele did not turn out true to seed so we named it. This mango has a licorice-guava taste with brix in the low 20's imo much better mango than the guava mango from Walter Zill. AZ, Behl and I should have plenty of fruits for the tasting this year it is now blooming like mad. 

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 09:12:51 PM »
I found a pix of Meele next to Eunice's Blush

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 01:32:20 PM »
Guava mango
Pineapple mango
Coconut mango
What is next?
Mango mango? Nah, i guess that would be too boring.  ;)
More seriously, how come only mangoes can impersonate other fruits? I've yet to hear of:
Mango guava
Mango pineapple
Mango coconut

BACON mango.

I'm looking at you, Walter Zill. Make this happen.

Sorry, he is a vegetarian.

OK then, how about Fakin Bacon Mango? Or Mock Bacon Mango?

i was thinking more like TOFU mango :)
OK, scratch that, maybe mango flavored TOFU.
i actually eat a lot of Tofu.

actually, i wouldnt mind a guava with a mango flavor, but guava aroma.

does the guava mango smell like a mango, a guava or ???

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2016, 12:34:02 PM »
Well, I'm happy to report that this year it's a different story for me. My guava topwork is loaded with baby fruits. The last couple of years, it would set one fruit per roughly 6 terminals. This year it's keeping up with my glenn. It's either due to the fact that I've been hitting it with my mister for fungus or because of the really late bloom. This year, anthracnose, which is normally a major problem on blooms, has been non-existent on all of my mango flowers.

Excellent tasting mango, but so far productivity has been very poor -- even with regular fungal treatment. This will be my 3rd year receiving fruit from mine (top-worked to a glenn), and I'm hoping to get more than a half dozen fruits.

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
I just got a tree from a friend and wondering how early is it-- and hows your tree doing this year??
Www.sailing-charters.org

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
This is the 4th or 5th year that the tree has been in production (can't remember which), and so far it's been similar to Glenn in terms of production and reliability -- with the Glenn being just slightly more productive. Season is pretty close to Glenn as well, just maybe a week or two later. Been a great tree. I need to plant more.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:26:22 PM by Cookie Monster »

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
Thanks Jeff- that's Good to know-
Www.sailing-charters.org

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Guava mango the plot thickens revisited
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »
Some links to compare India’s Priyor (“Guava”) mango to the West Palm Beach mystery tree (https://youtu.be/s74do4s8w_A)
Courtesy: Sheehan

http://www.thrissurkerala.com/mango-varieties/slides/Priyoor.html

https://sancochin.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/mango-season-is-here/

https://mywordsnthoughts.com/myworld/2017/05/15-types-of-local-varieties-of-mangoes-available-in-kerala-and-a-list-of-100-names/comment-page-1/

I'm going to bump this up, as there has to be someone on this forum who has fruited the Guava mango.

In India there are two well known mango varieties that may be synonymous which both mean Guava. Priyoor and Perakka. They are typically planted from seed, and are assumed to be true to seed. This jibes with the notion that many South Indian selections are actually Polyembryonic. This would also explain why the variety where Walter retrieved scions didn't have an obvious graft mark

If this assumption holds true, then if the variety called Guava in Florida is the same variety, then its seed should be polyembryonic. Can anyone verify?

Here are the pics from the various links Abayomi posted.

I'm embedding them for the intent of aiding in the verification that the variety grown in Florida is synonymous with the variety grown in South India.

Priyoor Mango w/ foliage

Unripe Priyoor Mango

A ripened Priyoor Mango

A Priyoor Mango cut open

A Priyoor Mango seed.

In the third link, the Priyor mango is described as having 'big leaves'.

Do these pictures resemble the mango being sold in Florida?

Does the Florida mango have a polyembryonic seed?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »
We’ve fruited Guava and it does resemble the photos of Priyor .

However my recollection is that the seeds were monoembryonic or at least appeared to be.

The tree Walter Zill got the budwood from was ancient. Likely 100+ years old. It is worth mentioning that in the early 20th century A LOT of mangos were being introduced to south Florida from India, and a decent number of these got propagated/distributed. Some of those varieties even fell out of favor or out of recognition in India since (stuff like Ameeri and Borsha). So Walter has at times speculated that this could have been one of those trees.

Another interesting old tree which is another candidate for one of these early Indian introductions (or derivatives of such) is a unique Indian-flavored variety Walter calls ‘Apricot’, which we are now growing. I have seen this tree and it is also visibly very old.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2019, 01:16:10 PM »
Thank you again for always providing informative posts Alex.

This forum needs a ratings system.

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »
Guava mango
Pineapple mango
Coconut mango
What is next?
Mango mango? Nah, i guess that would be too boring.  ;)
More seriously, how come only mangoes can impersonate other fruits? I've yet to hear of:
Mango guava
Mango pineapple
Mango coconut

I have growing in my yard mango nectarines, if that counts? ;o)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2019, 05:59:05 PM »

However my recollection is that the seeds were monoembryonic or at least appeared to be.

The tree Walter Zill got the budwood from was ancient. Likely 100+ years old. It is worth mentioning that in the early 20th century A LOT of mangos were being introduced to south Florida from India, and a decent number of these got propagated/distributed. Some of those varieties even fell out of favor or out of recognition in India since (stuff like Ameeri and Borsha). So Walter has at times speculated that this could have been one of those trees.

Another interesting old tree which is another candidate for one of these early Indian introductions (or derivatives of such) is a unique Indian-flavored variety Walter calls ‘Apricot’, which we are now growing. I have seen this tree and it is also visibly very old.

Guava has really grown on me as a first rate mango.

I confirm every seed has been mono which only adds to the mystery. A nearly true to type mono is theoretically possible.  I only recall seeing mono honey kiss seeds but all the seedlings at Walter’s appear true to type.  Maybe I missed them being poly (don’t rate it highly so...). 

And double thanks to Alex for educating us.  I had Apricot this summer and enjoyed it.

Where is the original Apricot tree?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2019, 06:53:23 PM »

Guava has really grown on me as a first rate mango.

I confirm every seed has been mono which only adds to the mystery. A nearly true to type mono is theoretically possible.  I only recall seeing mono honey kiss seeds but all the seedlings at Walter’s appear true to type.  Maybe I missed them being poly (don’t rate it highly so...). 

And double thanks to Alex for educating us.  I had Apricot this summer and enjoyed it.

Where is the original Apricot tree?

It’s on the west side of NE 2nd ave just north of 12th street in Delray Beach.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
Just had guava mango from Florida graft and seed was poly. Here is pic of mango. Will post seed pic later.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2019, 09:43:37 AM »
Just had guava mango from Florida graft and seed was poly. Here is pic of mango. Will post seed pic later.

Oh....interesting!

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2022, 03:26:09 PM »
I am in the constant pain of selecting the mango varieties that would take the last slots in my lot.
You mention Guava is early. How early? And how vigorous? I want to graft on my VP in the front yard and need rather a solid big tree.

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2022, 02:47:37 PM »
Up.
Do you know when does Guava Mango fruit? How early it is?
How big is the tree when mature?