Author Topic: Give up on/replace this unproductive Hasya sapodilla? Or stick it out?  (Read 21181 times)

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
My neighbor has a sapodilla that just started fruiting after 20 years. Talk about patience.

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
I've heard that certain sapodilla cultivars do not self pollinate well so you need more than one tree. That might be why Cookie's is doing fine. We finally pulled ours out since we never got more than 3 or 4 fruit in an entire year and really didn't want to plant another.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
That could be. I have 9 or 10 of them, and they are clustered together.

I've heard that certain sapodilla cultivars do not self pollinate well so you need more than one tree. That might be why Cookie's is doing fine. We finally pulled ours out since we never got more than 3 or 4 fruit in an entire year and really didn't want to plant another.
Jeff  :-)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
This is where I'm at in the search of the most perfect Sapodilla fruit and tree:

Just in case the 'Hasya' variety fruit & tree thing doesn't work out, I have my eye on getting a 'Morena' sapodilla tree.

The 'Morena' seems to be, generally, just a bit smaller than the 'Hasya,' but much larger than say, a 'Tikal.' And, the 'Morena' has much better production than the 'Hasya'?
So, with the 'Morena' you have that nice balance between large size fruit and good fruit production?
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say that morena are much larger than tikal. My Tikal get pretty big. Tikal also bears 2 crops per year.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
As an update... despite the monsoons we've been having in June, it looks like every flower on the Hasya has dried up or fallen off - so another round of no fruit whatsoever. Looks like Hasya is converting to smoke wood this weekend.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
My Hasya is flowering profusely now.

After only producing single fruit for the last 2 years in the ground
from a 15G pot, I am now starting to do a more rigorous manual pollination
routine on this tree, lets see if this make a difference...
Sam

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Re: Give up on/replace this unproductive Hasya sapodilla? Or stick it out?
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2018, 04:25:22 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:28:53 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
My haysa (assuming it is truly a haysa -- was purchased from zills) produces pretty well. Got about a dozen fruits from a little spindly 7 footer.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2018, 05:01:23 PM »

My Hasya, five years in the ground and looking healthy, has a grand total of one fruit on it now. It is the second fruit on it ever, and the first one fell off before it was ripe.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »
I give mine a lot of N-fert + minors and plenty of water on a regular basis. Saps seem to take N pretty well. It's also in a row of 1/2 dozen or so saps that could help with pollination? Irrigation and fert tend to be magic for pretty much anything other than mango :-).

My Hasya, five years in the ground and looking healthy, has a grand total of one fruit on it now. It is the second fruit on it ever, and the first one fell off before it was ripe.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 07:20:35 PM »
All that Calcium Sulfate you put around them probably helped with fruitfulness also.  Sapodillas do very well on the limestones of Yucatan and in the Redlands here in Florida.
Har

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »
My hasya tree was planted 5 years ago. I have 5 ripening on the counter and another 15+ on the tree. I ate the first of the year a few days ago and it was pretty good and only had one seed. Most are around 0.5 lbs. One on the counter is 0.85 lbs. Last year it produced a 1.2 lbs fruit.
Brandon

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
My Hasya is flowering profusely now.

After only producing single fruit for the last 2 years in the ground
from a 15G pot, I am now starting to do a more rigorous manual pollination
routine on this tree, lets see if this make a difference...

Just a little update: My Hasya has now about few dozens fruits developing and still hanging; for the first time!  The tree is now older, so I am not sure if this Hasya fruit sets were caused by the maturity of the tree or by my rigorous manual pollination, or both...?

I notice that my Alano and Silas Wood scions on this tree seem to be able to set fruits on their own, and are more prolific than the Hasya...

Sam

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2018, 07:53:07 AM »
And those added grafts presumably are cross-pollinating with the 'Hasya' '.
Har

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:55 PM »
And those added grafts presumably are cross-pollinating with the 'Hasya' '.

Well, yeah...! That is definitely another possibility, I didn't think about this! Thanks for your analysis, Har!

I plan to isolate a branch or two of the Hasya part, and not hand pollinate those, to see if these branch(s) will bear fruits on it's own: so I know if my manual pollination has any role on it's fruit settings...

Just wondering savemejebus, - if you still have your tree - , wouldn't it be more effective (cost and time) if you top worked it instead of removing the tree?

Sam

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:27:56 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2018, 10:20:13 PM »
Another season, another unfruitful tree. My tree has been flowering since spring. I've tried hand pollinating, squeezing method, etc. and no fruit set. I think cross-pollination is necessary with this tree. I tried grafting a couple varieties on it last month with no luck. Is there a trick to grafting these? or a better time of the year to graft them?

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2018, 12:44:54 AM »
Looks like many members here have experienced some difficulties in fruiting their Hasya tree; myself is one of them. Despite it's desirable Hasya's taste, but it's stingy fruiting characteristic is too much to bear for me. I've already started "converting" my Hasya tree to a cocktail one, by cutting the Hasya branch, one at a time then top work on the sprouts that will form.

I have good result grafting Sapodilla in the Summer months (July, August, September)  for my area (SoCal). I use regular cleft graft, just wipe the excess sap off...

2 small Silas Wood scions placed side by side cleft grafted to a larger Hasya branch in Aug. 2017:

And here is a prolific Alano branch off my Hasya tree; May 2018:

Just sharing what I did to my Hasya tree...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:49:37 AM by Samu »
Sam

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Did you leave some leaves attached to the scion wood? When I received some scion wood in the mail, the leaves on top were left intact, but I removed them when I grafted it. Not sure if I did that wrong or not.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
Mine produces gobs of fruit, but I keep it very well fertilized, with nitrogen. Has anybody tried feeding theirs on a regular basis with a nitrogen containing fertiilzer?

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »
Yeah mine is constantly fed with compost and fertilizer. Blooms a lot with no fruit set.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
Yeah mine is constantly fed with compost and fertilizer. Blooms a lot with no fruit set.

I do too.. Very healthy looking tree, lots of flowers but not a single fruit.

raimeiken

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2018, 01:04:12 PM »
What variety you have? Try grafting a different variety on it or get another tree. I think certain varieties require cross pollination.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
Did you leave some leaves attached to the scion wood? When I received some scion wood in the mail, the leaves on top were left intact, but I removed them when I grafted it. Not sure if I did that wrong or not.

I removed all the leaves on my scion wood, I think this is normally done (that I know of...). but I wrapped it all with "Buddytape", which I find to be superior (stretchier, thinner yet stronger) than the less expensive "Parafilm tape".

The age of your Hasya tree may have some role in it's inability to set and hold fruits. From a 15G tree with lots of flowers that I planted, after 2 years; -even with my manual pollinations help from me-, it only produced one lonely fruit each year!  Now, it's on the 3rd year, only less than a handful of Hasya are hanging atm, while my 2 Alano branches have plenty, and I think they are self pollinating.  I can say that this Hasya tree had been my biggest disappointment...considering the price I paid and the amount of work/care I gave..., but things are looking better now, with my converting program ongoing...

Jeff, you are in a different league! Besides of your superior knowledge of caring trees, you also have much improved soil I noticed, and lots of sapodilla trees (9 or 10?) in a cluster that may also contribute the pollinations, (I only have 1 tree) on top of that you are in Florida, so lots of humidity too...Jealous! But thanks for your helpful inputs, I always value them...!

Sam