Author Topic: Crystal seedless guava, SAK IP & Sri Chompoo Longan scions  (Read 2223 times)

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
Crystal seedless guava, SAK IP & Sri Chompoo Longan scions
« on: September 22, 2019, 01:52:45 PM »
I’ve been mia from TFF for a while and came back with an in inbox full of request for crystal seedless guava and sak ip longan scions. I just came back from my rental property and trimmed a few sticks.

Anyone want please pm me. I apologize for not replying to everyone individually.

Minimum scion order is $20

Crystal seedless guava $5 ea
SAK IP longan $7 ea
Sri Chompoo ALL SOLD

USPS flat rate priority $7

PayPal is shenxue@ Gmail.com

Please specify what you are paying for in the PayPal transaction
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:15:32 PM by xshen »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal seedless guava, SAK IP & Sri Chompoo Longan scions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 11:14:06 PM »
I picked up them today and the Scions are great condition.  Grafted them to my trees and hopefully they sprout soon.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:00:57 AM »
Thanks Alex. Hope u get some takes.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 12:28:43 PM »
Finger cross.  I am looking for them for a while.

Thank you very for the flexibility allow me to pick them up.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
Finally, I am about to figure out what is sak ip Longan is. 

Google translate:

" Stone plaque (sak ip), and stone clips.  According to legend, the earliest longan tree grew out in the cracks of the stone. The roots penetrated the rocky mountain and absorbed the underground "fine gas". The grown fruit was particularly delicious.  The mother tree of the Dendrobium species, according to the study, was from an ancient longan tree in a stone crevice in Guangxi. Later generations successfully grafted 108 longan tree seedlings.  The 108 longan trees are the female trees of the stone dragon longan, which are now in the mother garden. The stone dragon eye is named after it.  Every year in mid-August, the midsummer season is good"
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:22:14 PM by pinkturtle »

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »
“Sak ip” Literal translation = wedged between boulders

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »
Nice sakip scions.  Nice caliber and prompt delivery.  Thanks
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
Anyone have a picture of the fruit? 

Simon

mangolover143

• South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 04:43:47 AM »
Hi Simon,

Nice to meet you in the forum the first time. Actually, I have been communicating with your buddy Brad previously requesting for the supply of scions to be shipped to South Africa.

I am a retired Hong Kong government officer emigrated to South Africa since 1992. I saw your request for photos of the famous Chinese ‘Shek Kip’ (the proper name in Cantonese) longan. It has been very popular in Hong Kong in the 1960s but disappeared from the local market when Thai imports started to flush in. Its size is smaller in comparison with the Thai counterpart but sweeter and much more flavourful. Though it has long history of cultivation in China, especially in Guangxi and Guangdong provinces, it is still relative unknown in the West. That’s why you cannot find any information/photos in Google with the English name ‘Sek Ip’ or ‘Shek Kip’ which means “growing out of the gap or crevice (kip) of a stone (shek)”. There are plenty of information and photos when you Google with the Chinese name ‘石硤龍眼’. You can just copy the Chinese name and paste to either Google or Google Image to acquire the information you required. I have no idea if you can read Chinese but there is no problem if you use Google Translate to interpret the contents narrated in Chinese, though the translation is clumsy and far from desirable. Hereunder are some links that might be useful to you: -
   From Mainland China: https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E7%9F%B3%E7%A1%96%E9%BE%99%E7%9C%BC
   From Hong Kong:
https://www.weekendhk.com/841391/lifestyle/weekend-leisure/%E9%A6%99%E6%B8%AF%E5%A5%BD%E5%8E%BB%E8%99%95-%E5%85%83%E6%9C%97%E5%A4%A7%E6%A3%A0-%E7%9F%B3%E7%A1%A4%E9%BE%8D%E7%9C%BC/
   From Taiwan: https://www.itsfun.com.tw/%E7%9F%B3%E7%A1%A4%E9%BE%8D%E7%9C%BC/wiki-4370295-3108075
I sincerely hope that the above can help.
Regards,
Paul Ng,
Pretoria, South Africa.
29 September 2019

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 08:17:23 AM »
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the information and links! The fruit looks to be good size and the tree looks quite productive from the pictures in the links you provided. I was born in Hong Kong but I can only read minimal Chinese. Looks like I will be trying to graft this variety in the future. Thanks again Paul!

Simon

mangolover143

• South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
Hi Simon,

It's a pleasure. Please let me know if you have succeeded in grafting this 'Shek Kip' and I hope I can buy a piece or 2 scions from you, in due course. Thanks you in advance for your assistance in this connection.

Paul

Trianhthy

• San Gabriel, california
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 05:43:34 AM »
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the information and links! The fruit looks to be good size and the tree looks quite productive from the pictures in the links you provided. I was born in Hong Kong but I can only read minimal Chinese. Looks like I will be trying to graft this variety in the future. Thanks again Paul!

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
Shen 2 of 3 sakip grafts are growing now.  The 3rd looks still alive and may grow.  It was really hot/dry/windy for a few weeks and the buds had broken the tape but still survived and are growing now.  Longan seems pretty tough and can be grafted in the heat no problem.  I had a lot of avocado grafts around the same time that all got cooked.  Even mango buds got cooked but the scions are still green.  Avocado completely failed this time of year here.  Too hot and dry. 
Brad Spaugh