Author Topic: Looking for rare limes  (Read 5160 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Looking for rare limes
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:20:19 AM »
Anyone know where I could find trees or cuttings of Blacktwig lime, Merdeka lime, and/or better cultivars for finger limes?  Seems like, for Australian FLs, I can only find generic "green finger limes".

Checked CCPP, but didn't see any of these for sale.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for rare limes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:19:50 PM »
I can help you out with the Black Twig Lime.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
Millet - That would be great.  Seems like that's a really hard one to find.  I'm happy to pay, just PM me how you would like to proceed.  This is all new to me.

I've been reading old threads on finger limes.  Apparently, people are ordering from an Austalian source, ozifingerlimes, on ebay.  Crimson Tide red finger limes seem to be highly rated on the forums, but the only seller currently on ebay is from Thailand  :o.  Red Champagne is available from Australia though.  Aren't there restrictions on this type of thing?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:12:09 PM »
Millet, do you have any reference or info on Black Twig AKA Winged Lime?
Have you fruited this variety?
One of my favorites by the way. I have planted out 15 Gallon seedlings last year and they're starting to show the darker color on older wood.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
Bush 2 Beach, there is not much information on the Black Twig Lime.  I got some bud wood from Joe Real five years abo, who I assume got the bud wood from Gene Lester.  below is the most information I've found about the variety. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Winged lime, is an unusual lime in that it has a fair amount of sugar, so it can be eaten out of hand by most people. Pleasant lime flavor. Fruit is globose, about 8 cm and gets ricey if left too long on the plant. Lots of long thorns, as the name implies.

Very unusual dark brown, almost black twigs. This color is retained in two- and sometimes three-year wood, the only citrus that I know of that has this characteristic. I called it "Blacktwig" for obvious reasons.

I planted some longispina seeds from UCR, and years later, when they first fruited, I could see that they were my Blacktwig, both from the fruit taste and dark twigs."

This information was given by Gene Lester, who grows this variety in Central California.

"Blacktwig" is one of the most beautiful and striking citrus trees I have seen. The deep violet-black twigs form a spectacular background for the pale green leaves and the pale yellow fruit. The Latin name longispina means long thorns and they are giant in size, by far the biggest and strongest thorns I have seen on a citrus tree, longer and thicker than on any trifoliate hybrid.

Gene's 8-foot tree has a spreading bushy appearance with slender long branches bending down under the weight of the fruit in heavy grapefruit-like clusters. It makes a beautiful ornamental plant and is very productive, but needs space. The taste is sweet but lacks acidity, some might say the fruit tastes a bit insipid. Definitely worth having as an ornamental and at least children like the plentiful fruit.

Winged lime is called Tai la mi san in Chinese and Taramisan in Japanese.

It is a great tasting lime, you can eat it out of hand.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:20:03 PM by Millet »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »
Ok , thanks. That's from the SFGate article I believe. Time to search and translate the Chinese or Japanese names. Glad you got bud wood of this one.

Bush 2 Beach, there is not much information on the Black Twig Lime.  I got some bud wood from Joe Real five years abo, who I assume got the bud wood from Gene Lester.  below is the most information I've found about the variety. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Winged lime, is an unusual lime in that it has a fair amount of sugar, so it can be eaten out of hand by most people. Pleasant lime flavor. Fruit is globose, about 8 cm and gets ricey if left too long on the plant. Lots of long thorns, as the name implies.

Very unusual dark brown, almost black twigs. This color is retained in two- and sometimes three-year wood, the only citrus that I know of that has this characteristic. I called it "Blacktwig" for obvious reasons.

I planted some longispina seeds from UCR, and years later, when they first fruited, I could see that they were my Blacktwig, both from the fruit taste and dark twigs."

This information was given by Gene Lester, who grows this variety in Central California.

"Blacktwig" is one of the most beautiful and striking citrus trees I have seen. The deep violet-black twigs form a spectacular background for the pale green leaves and the pale yellow fruit. The Latin name longispina means long thorns and they are giant in size, by far the biggest and strongest thorns I have seen on a citrus tree, longer and thicker than on any trifoliate hybrid.

Gene's 8-foot tree has a spreading bushy appearance with slender long branches bending down under the weight of the fruit in heavy grapefruit-like clusters. It makes a beautiful ornamental plant and is very productive, but needs space. The taste is sweet but lacks acidity, some might say the fruit tastes a bit insipid. Definitely worth having as an ornamental and at least children like the plentiful fruit.

Winged lime is called Tai la mi san in Chinese and Taramisan in Japanese.

It is a great tasting lime, you can eat it out of hand.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
Millet,
Just wanted to let you know I was able to get a winged lime and xie shan grafted up successfully.  It took a bunch of tries since I am still new to grafting, but I did end up with one of each.

Thanks Again,
Sonny

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
Congratulations.

Maisy

• Central Coast California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 07:07:27 PM »
 Hello Millet
I googled BlackTwig Lime and found this thread. Not sure if you’ll see this. Was looking to buy some seeds to grow a BlackTwig Lime. My citrus grafting hasn’t produced any successful results. Hoping to propagate some fresh seeds. Thank you so much!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 07:54:50 PM »
Sorry I don't have any fruit at this time.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
I would try Gene Lester, that's who sent me my budwood years ago. At best it's a oddity... I top worked mine as I din't like it.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
Black Twig aka Winged lime seeds available
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 10:14:10 PM »
I have some black twig/winged lime seeds available if anyone is interested.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 10:01:46 PM »
I have Australian Blood Lime/Red Center Lime fruiting in South Florida...Not sure anyone is interested 
Joe

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 03:37:45 AM »
I am interested. Will send you a pm.