Author Topic: what kind of annon is this rollina?  (Read 4304 times)

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
what kind of annon is this rollina?
« on: August 12, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
Went to El placio de jugos and they had them 3.99$ a pound picked up 2 and their huge. They said their a variety of atemoya but they look like rollina to me!

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
Re: what kind of annon is this rollina?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
Went to El placio de jugos and they had them 3.99$ a pound picked up 2 and their huge. They said their a variety of atemoya but they look like rollina to me!

One way to find out is open it and eat it!  But seriously, it looks a bit Rollinia-ish.  If those tips turn black and it softens up fast, it is probably a Rollinia.  If it's an Atemoya, that thing looks awesome and you should let us all know how it tastes and where we can get some scions!  ::)
Bob

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
Should I wait until the tips turn black and soften up to eat it or just when it feels soft to touch?

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
I am hoping we will get some Annona experts on to look at your photo and verify this is a Rollinia.  Something tells me there was discussion of a yellow Atemoya in the past, but i couldn't find the link. If it is a Rollinia, it may be close to ripe since they ripen really fast once picked.....like in hours to a day.  If it is an Atemoya it may take a few days to ripen fully.   Is it really firm still? Hard like a rock, or can you press on the surface and it has just a slight give to the flesh?
Bob

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
It is getting soft and the spikes some  turning black on the ends
So it seems to be getting ripe in a day or two. Would the seeds be worth saving and germinating to try to grow it?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 06:19:45 PM »
So it seems to be getting ripe in a day or two. Would the seeds be worth saving and germinating to try to grow it?
Definitely a rollinia (aka biriba), not atemoya. You can eat it now. Spikes don't need to turn black. Some like it better before full ripeness as they tend to get a bit mucous when fully ripe. Yes the seeds are worth saving and easy to sprout.
Oscar

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 06:25:55 PM »
How long do they usually take to fruit from seed two to four years or longer and what's the best way to germinate because I've never done it before thank you

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
Definitely a rollinia (aka biriba), not atemoya. You can eat it now. Spikes don't need to turn black. Some like it better before full ripeness as they tend to get a bit mucous when fully ripe. Yes the seeds are worth saving and easy to sprout.

Assuming you like the fruit...while there may be good ones however I have never tasted one that I thought was worth taking another bite.
- Rob

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »
Just ate one and it was great. No grittiness at all and was sweet with a lemon and slight mango ish  flavor. Way different then sugar apple and atemoya I have had. Only downfall was tons of seeds lol.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »

Assuming you like the fruit...while there may be good ones however I have never tasted one that I thought was worth taking another bite.
Ouch Rob!  Really that bad?  I had one and it was a bit slimy, but not as bad as a couple of the Guanabana that I have had.  I think it could be just that they were over ripe, but I am willing to try more Rollinia! :D
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
Just ate one and it was great. No grittiness at all and was sweet with a lemon and slight mango ish  flavor. Way different then sugar apple and atemoya I have had. Only downfall was tons of seeds lol.

Awesome! Good to know it was about the correct ripeness.  I figured folks like Oscar and Rob would know.  How was the texture? if it was creamy and not slimy that would be good for me!
Bob

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:36 PM »
It was no more slimy than a soursop. But definitely worth growing in my opinion. If anyone in the area would like some seeds I have plenty and will give for free!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »

Awesome! Good to know it was about the correct ripeness.  I figured folks like Oscar and Rob would know.  How was the texture? if it was creamy and not slimy that would be good for me!

Dont let my opinion sway you before tasting.  Its just not an annona I like.   I much prefer a cherimoya, ilama or select custard apple.

I have never know rollinia to be gritty, only slimy when at their "best" (worst).  Nowhere near a good soursop in terms of texture.  Besides the rollinia texture, I have never had one I would call sweet or full flavored (I pwesonally dont like the flavor of anybI have had).  Then again, I have never had a dragon fruit I thought was great, flavorful, or sweet.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »

Rob, like you like to say, tastes are subjective. But i've offered rollinia to many people, and never had a single one that didn't like it. I think it is so good and usually well liked, so that it would become a commercial fruit, were it not for the fact that its shelf life is very short, and it is very delicate and difficult to transport. It is sold commercially in Brazil in the Amazon area.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:01 PM »

Rob, like you like to say, tastes are subjective. But i've offered rollinia to many people, and never had a single one that didn't like it. I think it is so good and usually well liked, so that it would become a commercial fruit, were it not for the fact that its shelf life is very short, and it is very delicate and difficult to transport. It is sold commercially in Brazil in the Amazon area.

Maybe its just what is available/grown around here.  A good percentage of random people I have seen sample it have not liked it too much.  As I said abive. I feel the same way about dragon fruit and as many post here, they say how great, flavorful and sweet it is.

I truly feel many who try the odd, strange or unknkwn fruit frel they should like it whether they really do or not (especially when they read people say its great).  Same thing when people here the word jackfruit or durian, many have predetermined comments that they dont want to taste it cause they heard it taste foul or smells bad.
- Rob

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »
It's a beautiful looking fruit.  I've never seen it here in California.  I ate a soursop in NY.  The fruit stand mechant said it was from Florida.  It was too slimy for my taste.  Cherimoya and atemoya are my choice.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »
They get goog prices in the markets here in spite of not ravelling well. Some trees produce fruit with a richer and stronger taste than usual. I find they are preferred over sour sop by most people. They are best eaten slightly green and chilled.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:37:06 AM »

Maybe its just what is available/grown around here.  A good percentage of random people I have seen sample it have not liked it too much.  As I said abive. I feel the same way about dragon fruit and as many post here, they say how great, flavorful and sweet it is.

I truly feel many who try the odd, strange or unknkwn fruit frel they should like it whether they really do or not (especially when they read people say its great).  Same thing when people here the word jackfruit or durian, many have predetermined comments that they dont want to taste it cause they heard it taste foul or smells bad.
My guess is that the rollinias here are better, and if you tasted one here you would be an instant convert. Just like many people say they don't like papayas until they come to Hawaii and taste the ones here.
As for dragon fruit, i think it's true that most of the ones grown commercially are very bland. I've had some of the wild purple types that grow in Guatemala, and it's no comparison, they are very flavorful and good. Here we have some pretty good pink types that are grown commercially.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 01:02:02 AM »

My guess is that the rollinias here are better, and if you tasted one here you would be an instant convert. Just like many people say they don't like papayas until they come to Hawaii and taste the ones here.
As for dragon fruit, i think it's true that most of the ones grown commercially are very bland. I've had some of the wild purple types that grow in Guatemala, and it's no comparison, they are very flavorful and good. Here we have some pretty good pink types that are grown commercially.

I think a good statement to go by is unless you are able to receive fruits from specific locales via overnight courier (which is not possible i. Most cases), travelling to areas of the world to taste the locales best fruit is the only way to make true determinations.  Otherwise, one can only make statements about what is grown in their area.

I have had some of what I call very good papaya grown here, I have heard from multiple sources that its way better in Hawaii.  After tastinv the Kauai White Sugarloaf, as good as fresh grown pineapple is here, it is way better shipped overnight from Hawaii.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 01:24:54 AM »
That's another good example. I've had lots of visitors here tell me they don't like pineapples, and then i give them a white sugarloaf and watch their astonished expressions.  ;D Another case of instant conversion.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
Biriba is well liked and commercial locally here but I don't think it could ever enter the conventional food distribution system.  It just won't hold up.
Peter

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
Which El Palacio?? I just checked the one on 49th st in Hialeah..Sadly none. Also checked the yellow and green famers market...Nothing special there.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »
Biriba is well liked and commercial locally here but I don't think it could ever enter the conventional food distribution system.  It just won't hold up.
Peter
They have a type of biriba in Brazil without the exterior bumps, more smooth, that is supposed to hold up a lot better.
Oscar

1988GD

• coral springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
The El placio on 57th and flager.