Author Topic: My confused April flowering Neelam, and some other pics from the yard ..  (Read 10650 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
So, my 2 year old Neelam mango decided to make some flowers out of what originally looked like growth. ... It seems a bit confused, but I can live with that :)

Pics taken today, April 25th ....  I hope some of these hold fruit!

Neelam

Heidi

Heidi Fruit

Hindi Bessenara

Hindi Bessenara fruit

Pickering

Bangkok Lemon Jack

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Nice pics, doc. The neelam rocks! The hindi tree looks like it went berzerk. Is the Hindi a good mango?
Jeff  :-)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Regarding the Neelam blooms, better late then never...The rest of your yard looks great.     

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
Nice pics, doc. The neelam rocks! The hindi tree looks like it went berzerk. Is the Hindi a good mango?

Yeah, the Hindi Bessenara went crazy.  I actually thinned about 30% of the fruits 3 days ago since it looked like it was holding way too many for its size.  I only tried the fruit once, a few years ago at the F&S parks mango mania.  I thought it was the best out of 50 varieties or so that day.  I hope it is as good as I remember. ....

Regarding the Neelam blooms, better late then never...The rest of your yard looks great.   

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Wow...that is super cool getting blooms on your Neelam in April! Love all the pictures but your Pickering is really AWESOME!!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Everything is looking great.  Your mangoes all look perfect.  What was your spraying protocol this year? Can't wait to try that Heidi.  Thanks for keeping me in mind when you have extra to taste. The approach grafts I did on your tree have finally taken off and are starting to produce some major growth. Would also love to try the Hindi Bessenara.  Never had that one either.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
All your mango trees and your jack fruit look nice and healthy! 
Alexi

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Beautiful trees! they all look so healthy. Future mango harvest on the way  ;D.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

natsgarden123

NICE  :)

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
Nice Pics! The Heidi looks beautiful. Does anyone know if Neelam normally flowers at this time or is this not the norm even though it's a late variety?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Nice pics Sleepdoc - love the Hindi tree's protector!

A fellow Fang

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
thanks sleepD
My Neelam today is doing great. I see a great future for this tree which is supposed to be a small size fruit and dwarfish kind tree and late late mango. Harry has a large size due to years of growth. Here is how mine looks as of a few days ago and it was just planted last year. A Zill 7 gallon acquired (bought) from Jeff and Elsy Hagen. Jeff is cookie monster poster here

Neelam...was my last mango to send up panicles in late February, which got powdery mildew on the panicles but produced (set) fruit anyway

Fairchild mango that was pugged at 20" last April 2011

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:41:21 AM by zands »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile

Pickering looks awesome...luv mango pics ;D Thankx for sharing guy's :) ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Sleep, nice pictures.  Keep us posted on how the Hindi tastes.  My small Neelam also flowered about 2 weeks ago.  When do they normally flower?

Thanks
Adiel

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Very nice! I am afraid to say that even if my two mango trees had fruits on them this season, they would have all gotten blown away in yesterday's very high gusty winds. I am pretending that I lost my mangoes to the winds this season. Hope others in So. Cal didnt get their fruit damaged.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
Thanks for the compliments everyone  ;D

I really am looking forward to trying the Heidi and re-trying the Hindi Bessenara.  Hopefully they are both top tier. 

Harry: If you like the HB, I think an approach graft session may be in order :)

Oh yeah, Spraying protocol was a little loose, but I started out early in the season, just pre-bloom with the Bonine "Fruit and Nut Spray".  Then hit them again about a month later with another dose.  I saw almost zero Powdery Mildew.  I sprayed copper 1x/week ( no copper the week of the Sulfur) for about 5 weeks during bloom/set.  I did see some Athracnose around, especially on my Alphonso.  I think it did reduce my set on a few of my trees, but hopefully it will not show itself again when everything begins to ripen..

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
Figured I add a couple more pics from yesterday ..

4 year old Carrie

3 year old Angie

Hey!  What's that NDM doing on that Cogshall tree?  ;)

Harvest Moon

Coconut Cream

Lemon Zest

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
More beautiful trees....all looking excellent.  I am going to have to fertilize and spray this coming year.  I've gotten lazy (and somewhat preoccupied with other stuff) and my mango trees have suffered as a result with poor production.  Oh well.......I will be more determined next year.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Very nice! I am afraid to say that even if my two mango trees had fruits on them this season, they would have all gotten blown away in yesterday's very high gusty winds. I am pretending that I lost my mangoes to the winds this season. Hope others in So. Cal didnt get their fruit damaged.

lulz You have a good idea there about psyching yourself out that way. I have had so many promising mangoes blown off this year that I have my own psych out explanation to myself too. A mango tree that is not setting fruit is one thing. But to see a young tree spend resources on setting nice size fruits and then the winds blow them off...this is upsetting. So I have my own little tale I tell myself about this which are not too bad. One is that with little or no fruits they will get to grow larger faster. On the other hand I know some feral mango trees on foreclosed properties I will be visiting....purely for entertainment value of course.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 01:20:25 PM by zands »

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Sleep, nice pictures.  Keep us posted on how the Hindi tastes.  My small Neelam also flowered about 2 weeks ago.  When do they normally flower?

Thanks

My three year old Neelam tree bloomed in February. 

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
I got one more way to keep happy! Keep visiting the Asian markets to try new fruits while my garden gets ready to feed me. Its a waiting game. I know it must be very hard to see fruits stolen away by wind, birds, or fruit thieves. I lost my entire crop of heirloom tomatoes last year to stupid squirrels! This season I got special meal for them.

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
gr8 pics and gr8 mango trees you got there ,,
and glad that you are growing an egyptian variety " hindi besenara " ,, its nice yellowish inside and supposed to be much longer and thinner ,, but heavy producer though ,, hope you enjoy it

Amr

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
What happened to the other (two?) varieties grafted to your Cogshall tree, Sleepdoc?  Late or not producing as well as NDM?
Tim

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Zands, your Fairchild is doing VERY well...seems to take the pugging quite well. Boy, do I know the feeling of being disappointed when those young mangoes fall off...after waiting years to produce and we lose so many due to factors we have NO control over is just awful  :(

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
It seems odd flowering times feature prominantly in mango discussions.Sam ru du must be the champion for year round fruiting and flowering and fruit of them can be seen any time in  the markets here.Their taste is as good a nam dok mai and much like ok rung and they should be everywhere in Florida.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Zands, your Fairchild is doing VERY well...seems to take the pugging quite well. Boy, do I know the feeling of being disappointed when those young mangoes fall off...after waiting years to produce and we lose so many due to factors we have NO control over is just awful  :(

Thanks pglvr! It's doing well. It is right by the road but the Fairchild fruits are small and unassuming so not too many will be filched...so I hope. I have to train the branches upward instead of outward

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
gr8 pics and gr8 mango trees you got there ,,
and glad that you are growing an egyptian variety " hindi besenara " ,, its nice yellowish inside and supposed to be much longer and thinner ,, but heavy producer though ,, hope you enjoy it

Amr

I have an Egyptian friend at work who brought me a 1 gallon bottle of "Mango Juice" from Egypt.  He froze it in egypt, took it on a plane, and brought it to me.  It was incredible.  Very rich in flavor, sweet, and thick.   Almost like a puree. 

Also, here is a pic of the Hindi Bessenara.  exactly how the one I tried looked ( maybe it is the same one?)   They do look a little different on my tree.  Maybe thats because the tree and mango's are young, maybe its a different mango ...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hindi+bessenara+mango&hl=en&biw=1437&bih=715&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=yi0tw4H70JC3hM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mango_HindiBessenara_Asit_fs8.jpg&docid=Smwt6LeAfr2vuM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Mango_HindiBessenara_Asit_fs8.jpg&w=3264&h=2448&ei=0cmbT-nRA4fJtgfihICnBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=200&vpy=165&dur=2087&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=189&ty=139&sig=117849864255213910132&page=1&tbnh=165&tbnw=219&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:69

What happened to the other (two?) varieties grafted to your Cogshall tree, Sleepdoc?  Late or not producing as well as NDM?

Good memory Tim  :)   The Carrie I grafted onto it is still holding 2 fruit, and the Julie 1.  Seems as though the top worked portions need a little more time in order to hold fruit to maturity.  They all flowered up well, but the top worked portions sure did drop a lot more fruits at about golf ball size ..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:54:09 AM by Sleepdoc »

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
thats the hendi besenara in the wiki pic ,, glad you like the juice ,, its for an egyptian cultivator " zebda " ,, or " bedet el egl " ,, these are mainly the types used in juice shops ,, maybe your tree is another " hindi " variety , as " hindi " means indian in arabic ,, so it may be another indian variety  or maybe cause its young ,, anyway its a gr8 cultivator ,, early producer disease resistant and heavy producer ,,

Amr

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
Amr,

Thanks for the information  :)

I planted a Zebda at my father in law's house a few years ago.  We have not had a chance to try it yet as the squirrels took out his entire crop last year, and it did not fruit this year.  If it tastes like that Juice, I will be more than happy !

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
You are welcome ,, and unfortunately zebda is a heavy alternate bearer ,,  good luck

Amr
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:40:18 PM by amrkhalido »