Author Topic: Fiji / Samoan Dwarf coconut (Niu Leka) where to buy in SW FL  (Read 10827 times)

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
Fiji / Samoan Dwarf coconut (Niu Leka) where to buy in SW FL
« on: March 17, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »
Hello, I came across this forum in my search. I am looking for a very specific tree. It's called a Samoan Dwarf coconut or Fiji Dwarf coconut (Niu Leka) known to be a "true" dwarf and max out at about 12-13 ft. I have read somewhere on here that there is a guy in Homestead Florida that has them but the email provided on his website is not working and I would prefer to buy from someone more local if possible (We are in Lehigh Acres, FL) or have one shipped to me. I have only been able to find the Green and Gold Malayan (usually only green) but I already have a gold. I know it will eventually get big, plus, I would like to have a true dwarf if I can find one. Let me know if you have them or can get them and the price or if you know someone that would have them that helps also. Thanks for any advice!

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Fiji / Samoan Dwarf coconut (Niu Leka) where to buy in SW FL
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
Hello, I came across this forum in my search. I am looking for a very specific tree. It's called a Samoan Dwarf coconut or Fiji Dwarf coconut (Niu Leka) known to be a "true" dwarf and max out at about 12-13 ft. I have read somewhere on here that there is a guy in Homestead Florida that has them but the email provided on his website is not working and I would prefer to buy from someone more local if possible (We are in Lehigh Acres, FL) or have one shipped to me. I have only been able to find the Green and Gold Malayan (usually only green) but I already have a gold. I know it will eventually get big, plus, I would like to have a true dwarf if I can find one. Let me know if you have them or can get them and the price or if you know someone that would have them that helps also. Thanks for any advice!

Guy in homestead fell off a cliff. Well not literally but won't be getting them from him anymore. Chapman field still has fruiting Fiji dwarf coconut palms but I hear they are getting shut down.

The Fiji dwarfs will likely be hard to source until somebody else fruits them and propagates for sale.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »
Fruitscapes on Pine Island has had them. 

Fiji dwarf will exceed 12-13 feet.  Dave Romney’s trees were 20 years old when I visited  his farm in Homestead a few years ago. They had approximately 10 feet of trunk and then the fronds were of course taller than that above it. They do not stay at ace short height it’s just that they grow a lot slower than the Malayan coconuts we typically see here in South Florida.

Brad
Brad

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 05:46:30 PM »
Like Brad said, they just grow slower. I climb a tree that has only grown 5 feet in the past 14 years. Very productive as well.

We need productive trees that will start pumping them out in 3 years.
Biodiversity is key.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
I have a friend who had a lot for sale. Pm me if you want.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:34:02 PM »
Fruitscapes on Pine Island has had them. 

Fiji dwarf will exceed 12-13 feet.  Dave Romney’s trees were 20 years old when I visited  his farm in Homestead a few years ago. They had approximately 10 feet of trunk and then the fronds were of course taller than that above it. They do not stay at ace short height it’s just that they grow a lot slower than the Malayan coconuts we typically see here in South Florida.

Brad

Not for a while now. Source was the aforementioned guy in homestead

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »
I gave up on the search myself. Settling for Malayan dwaft.
Murray of gardenofdelights gets them directly from Chapman field or wherever has then down there.
I haven't bought them for fears of cross pollinations

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
Well, I talked to someone here in Florida (I have been searching high and low) and found out the reason Dave Romney didn't have an active email. The guy I talked to said he was pretty much Dr. Coconut but apparently he died so I definitely won't be able to get one from him BUT I may have a possible source and I will let you all know if it turns out. Also, I'm sending you a PM Dwfl.

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
Oops, sorry, guess I PM'd the wrong person LOL. I will send you a PM Ftmyersfruit.

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »
I have two trees in my yard that I don’t have space for. I purchased them from Jack aka “Coconut” on the forum. They are 2/3 years old now.

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
I have plenty of room for them in my yard but no way to transport something that big LOL!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
While we're on the topic of Fiji Dwarf coconuts... I have one in a large rain barrel that's developed what appears to be a potassium (and possibly magnesium, but at least potassium) deficiency - yellowing of older leaves, central vein and extreme edges remain green, then the leaflets begin to wither from their tips.  How long after potassium fertilization should the chlorosis stop spreading on older fronds?  Should symptoms stop spreading essentially immediately, or is there a delay of days / weeks before you see the effect?
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 04:34:11 PM »
While we're on the topic of Fiji Dwarf coconuts... I have one in a large rain barrel that's developed what appears to be a potassium (and possibly magnesium, but at least potassium) deficiency - yellowing of older leaves, central vein and extreme edges remain green, then the leaflets begin to wither from their tips.  How long after potassium fertilization should the chlorosis stop spreading on older fronds?  Should symptoms stop spreading essentially immediately, or is there a delay of days / weeks before you see the effect?

More likely to see the improvement in new/emergent fronds. Could be that they're in Iceland. Do you still have it indoors?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 05:44:18 PM »

More likely to see the improvement in new/emergent fronds. Could be that they're in Iceland. Do you still have it indoors?

Nah, went and planted it on a glacier  ;)  Of course it's inside, hehe  :)

The new fronds have never had problems.  Nice perfect new fronds, so it's clearly a mobile nutrient that's the issue at hand at hand - so N P K Mg Cl Mo Ni.  K deficiency is said to be the most common problem in palms, and the symptoms match best, so unless there's something else causing K deficiency, adding more K seems to be the presumed solution here.  I also did something I've never done before, and goes against every bone in my body - I added some salt to the soil.  Our water isn't chlorinated, and I've never used a fertilizer that contains any chlorine, coconut palms reportedly love chlorine, and the occasional watering with saltwater is said to be common and useful in coconut-growing areas... so I winced and added some.

I've historically been rather bad about fertilizer, using the "Meh, that looks good" approach.  With "what looks good" generally turning out to be way too little.  I'm working to amend my wicked ways  ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:40:45 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 06:42:58 PM »
mg

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 06:58:59 PM »
I gave Mg with the K, at a ratio of 3 K to 1 Mg, since I've read that applying purely K will lead to a Mg deficiency if you didn't have one already.  But my understanding is that it couldn't be purely Mg deficiency, as (from my understanding) Mg doesn't lead to tip necrosis.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »
Go with maypan coconut your in a traditional [Lehigh Acres] cold corridor that goes all the way to Golden gate. fiji is a delicate lily when it gets cold, but mayapan coconut one tough hombre.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »
karen usually you do get more than one deficiency,but classic wedge pattern,now stippling and necrosis k. uptake? soil temps,soil pathogens

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »
So as not to detract from this thread anymore, I went ahead and started a new one  :)

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=27246.0

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »
Go with maypan coconut your in a traditional [Lehigh Acres] cold corridor that goes all the way to Golden gate. fiji is a delicate lily when it gets cold, but mayapan coconut one tough hombre.
I looked it up and it looks like the maypans get pretty tall still. I’m wanting something that stays pretty small. I’m a short gal and I’m not so great with heights lol. Plus I have a tendency to be drawn to more rare things. I may have met my match trying to find this tree though! I guess I will know after next week if I should abandon my search and just be happy with my Malayan gold.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
Red spicata coconut is bit smaller

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
Red spicata coconut is bit smaller

Ok, I will look into this one if I can't find someone with a Fiji/Samoan. I have sent several people pm's who said they have them available on here so maybe something will turn out. I also have an appointment next week to go look at some that sound promising but he didn't give me a price or tell me how big they are. I will just have to wait and see.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
May I ask why it has to be a Fiji tree? Due to the lethal yellowing?

There is no true difference in the heights of true dwarf plants. I would personally rather grow any Thai/Malay types for they taste better than the others. Malay coconuts are also much more productive than the other types.

While we are on the topic of Cocos... Check out this freaky ancient tree(Dwarf).

Biodiversity is key.

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
May I ask why it has to be a Fiji tree? Due to the lethal yellowing?

There is no true difference in the heights of true dwarf plants. I would personally rather grow any Thai/Malay types for they taste better than the others. Malay coconuts are also much more productive than the other types.

While we are on the topic of Cocos... Check out this freaky ancient tree(Dwarf).

I'm looking for something that will stay small and Fiji/Samoan was the only one I had heard of that stays small prior to "shots'" post about Red Spicata (which I will also be looking into if I cannot find the Fiji/Samoan). I do NOT do well with heights so getting the coconuts would be a problem for me once the tree gets to a height that I cannot reach on a small stepstool. Even being that far off the ground makes me nervous but a small stepstool I could probably handle. Anything more than that and I would have to wait for them to drop. I also would not be keeping up with the trimming at tall heights. I do currently have a Gold Malayan "dwarf" and while it may not get AS tall as some of the others, it will still get pretty darn tall. From what I have read and been told, the Fiji coconuts do not get as tall and take a very long time to get to any heights I would be worried about. I have read they also the produce faster which is also a bonus since I will most likely be getting a young tree and the sooner I can have coconuts the better!

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 04:13:43 PM »
About 5 years ago I purchased two coconut trees from Dave Romney in Homestead. They were estimated to be about five years old at the time and both were probably 8 feet tall from the base of the container  to the top part of the fronds.    They were purchased in 15 gallon containers.

They have been in the ground for approximately 5 years. 

The Fiji x yellow Malayan cross has grown noticeably slower and has approximately 4 feet of trunk. The Fiji dwarf has approximately 8 feet of trunk. 

Brad

Brad