Author Topic: Fiji / Samoan Dwarf coconut (Niu Leka) where to buy in SW FL  (Read 10897 times)

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
Re: Fiji / Samoan Dwarf coconut (Niu Leka) where to buy in SW FL
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
About 5 years ago I purchased two coconut trees from Dave Romney in Homestead. They were estimated to be about five years old at the time and both were probably 8 feet tall from the base of the container  to the top part of the fronds.    They were purchased in 15 gallon containers.

They have been in the ground for approximately 5 years. 

The Fiji x yellow Malayan cross has grown noticeably slower and has approximately 4 feet of trunk. The Fiji dwarf has approximately 8 feet of trunk. 

Brad

So the cross is growing slower... that is interesting. I wonder if they both produce the same amount of coconuts and if one produced faster than the other. Also, what are your thoughts about the coconuts themselves? Between the two, which one do you prefer (if there is a preference)? If you prefer the cross more, then I might look into how to cross the two and make my own for in the future.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »
Hard to make a true assessment because the coconuts have been producing for the last two or three years. Initially the yellow coconuts tasted like plain water and only the most recent crop had some sweetness. The Fiji coconuts tasted sweet right from the beginning. They produced maybe a year earlier than the Fiji Malayan. 

Brad
Brad

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
So the cross is growing slower... that is interesting.

It must be very hard to breed coconut true to type due to the prevalence of so many varieties in Florida and cross pollination. I am going with the Maypan, or at least what I assume will be Maypan since I am not buying. I know of a 40 acre grove of mature Maypans which produce an abundance of nuts which fall and are sprouting. From that source I will select young trees just turning from strap leaves to divided leaves, looking for anything "out of type". I assume that most of those nuts will be pollinated by similar Maypans since the grove is large. The issue of buying is really out of the question due to price level. With 50 trees to plant I'm not spending $1000 on any coconuts, and will take my chances.

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »
Ok, so I did manage to find one but he said they are open pollinated and could be crossed. Anyone know how to tell for sure if it is a Fiji dwarf or a cross? It looks an awful lot like my Malayan Gold...

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »
The sprout looks a bit more yellow than gold to me.
Biodiversity is key.

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
The sprout looks a bit more yellow than gold to me.
The pics are of the tree that is supposed to be a Fiji dwarf.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
Its a bit hard to tell from the photos. Usually go off leaf color, stem color and the shape of the nut.

Here are some examples of my Malay trees. Yellow and red.
Biodiversity is key.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
Ok, so I did manage to find one but he said they are open pollinated and could be crossed. Anyone know how to tell for sure if it is a Fiji dwarf or a cross? It looks an awful lot like my Malayan Gold...

That will be a cross

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »

That will be a cross

What should I look for to tell if they are not a cross?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
Even at an early stage the Fiji dwarfs have shorter stout fronds. I wouldn't go getting rid of it though. Wait it out

Minicoconut

• USA, Southwest FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 08:26:52 PM »
Even at an early stage the Fiji dwarfs have shorter stout fronds. I wouldn't go getting rid of it though. Wait it out
I saw some others there but the leaves looked kind of red or orange looking although they were smaller. I assumed the reddish orange color was probably a good indicator that they were not dwarf. I can’t say if they were “stout” because I assumed that they were only fatter looking due to them being so much smaller and the leaves not really matured yet. I will wait and see with this one but I am still on the lookout for anyone that has a Fiji and knows for sure that it is a Fiji.

dbaileys3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2023, 03:06:17 PM »
About 5 years ago I purchased two coconut trees from Dave Romney in Homestead. They were estimated to be about five years old at the time and both were probably 8 feet tall from the base of the container  to the top part of the fronds.    They were purchased in 15 gallon containers.

They have been in the ground for approximately 5 years. 

The Fiji x yellow Malayan cross has grown noticeably slower and has approximately 4 feet of trunk. The Fiji dwarf has approximately 8 feet of trunk. 

Brad