Author Topic: Is Blood Orange Juice Helther Than Regular Orange Juice  (Read 3540 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Is Blood Orange Juice Helther Than Regular Orange Juice
« on: April 28, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
A total of 45 obese men and women aged 25–84 years were recruited to participate in this randomized controlled trial.  After a three-week cleansing period, participants were randomly assigned to drink either 500 ml blood orange juice providing 50 mg of anthocyanins per day or 500 ml standard orange juice without anthocyanins.  Measures of individual HDL- and LDL-cholesterol, blood glucose, nitric oxide, C-reactive protein, and blood pressure were taken on day one and again at the conclusion of the 28-day study. No significant differences in cholesterol were found between the two groups indicating that blood orange juice was not a healthier alternative to regular orange juice. The additional anthocyanins found in the blood orange juice had no significant effect on health.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Is Blood Orange Juice Helther Than Regular Orange Juice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 11:36:21 AM »
Hello Millet, how are you? Regarding this study i don't belive that blood orange are not healtier than orange juice. The study was very short on time and anthocianins will strength the imune system andhelp body to fight desises better. But this is a long run point, it will not be succeded on short time.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »
Were these regular orange & blood orange grown organically or synthetically that were fused to these individuals?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:35:48 AM »
Would it make the slightest difference what so ever if they were grown organically or synthetically?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
Would it make the slightest difference what so ever if they were grown organically or synthetically?
Well that i don't know, but organic fruit are more rich for shure...  ;)

brettay

• View Profile
    • My Little Piece of Marin
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »
Millet thank you for this interesting study.  I think what we can conclude from this study is that short term ingestion of blood oranges had no significant effect on HDL, LDL and several other serologic markers.  It does not tell us that blood oranges have no "significant effect of health" as that is something infinitely more complex than the results of some blood tests.

Luisport, at the same time, I would like to know the source of your assertation that anthocyanins strengthen the immune system and that blood oranges grown organically are richer.  Is there data to back this up?  We all would like to believe that statements like this are true, however the scientific method dictates that the null hypothesis (there is no effect) is true until proven otherwise.  A lot of what we think is based only on a personal belief, but not scientific evidence.

-Brett

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
Millet thank you for this interesting study.  I think what we can conclude from this study is that short term ingestion of blood oranges had no significant effect on HDL, LDL and several other serologic markers.  It does not tell us that blood oranges have no "significant effect of health" as that is something infinitely more complex than the results of some blood tests.

Luisport, at the same time, I would like to know the source of your assertation that anthocyanins strengthen the immune system and that blood oranges grown organically are richer.  Is there data to back this up?  We all would like to believe that statements like this are true, however the scientific method dictates that the null hypothesis (there is no effect) is true until proven otherwise.  A lot of what we think is based only on a personal belief, but not scientific evidence.

-Brett
Well it's my personal belief, but i think there are studies about it... anthocyanins are antioxidant substances present in many red fruits like blueberries and blood oranges that have a prooven efect on imune sistem. This is a comon belife now. Regarding the organic fruits and vegetables are grown in rich soils where pesticids and other poisons are not used, so they are better to our health. If they are grown on rich soils maby they are richer i think.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »

As far as this article goes, organic oranges contains 30 % more Vitamin C than of commercially grown.

https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2002/06/04/Organic-oranges-more-nutritious-finds-study

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:09:26 PM »
Gozp, that work was presented at a meeting but, apparently was never published. That makes me very suspicious of this study.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 04:12:04 AM »

As far as this article goes, organic oranges contains 30 % more Vitamin C than of commercially grown.

https://www.nutraingredients.com/Article/2002/06/04/Organic-oranges-more-nutritious-finds-study
Thank's!  ;)

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »
That article goes no where. The study was never published probably because it was not accepted by any scientific journal due to the study being faulty.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 10:38:33 AM »
What is a "synthetically grown" orange tree?  I'm suspicious its being used as a pejorative term by the organic industry.

As for blood orange juice being better, I would think it's just different from regular orange juice and for overall health one must consume foods with many colors so that ones diet contains a broad spectrum of chemical additions for ones metabolism.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »
In the supermarket over the weekend I seen some red organic grapefruit.  They were only about the size of an orange.  I looked twice to be sure that they were actually grapefruit.  I told my wife she should come take a look

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
All US fruit detained upon arrival in China for seven days
Effective immediately, China's Customs has been instructed to detain and inspect all US fruit shipments for seven days upon arrival into China for pesticide residue testing. A shipment of Washington apples in ShenZheng port was rejected on Saturday and sent back to the US. Previously only 30% of American shipment where tested at random, now this number has been increased to 100%. Other countries of which currently all 100% of shipments are inspected are Peru and Australia, due to past quarantine issues.
According to Chinese importers, China Customs has strengthened the visual inspection of all US fruit to find traces of for example bugs or rot. If traces are found, the shipments will be hold for lab tests. In case these tests are proven positive, the shipment will be returned to the US or destroyed.  Lab tests may take between 2 days up to 2 weeks. Fruit to be inspected will not be put into a cooler, and remain outside in container

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
Seems like the conclusion should be that blood oranges don't reduce cholesterol any more than other oranges. To say that blood oranges are not better for your health seems to assume that lower cholesterol is the only important factor in one's health. And that's very far from the truth. A great over simplification.
Anyway, even if it were true that blood oranges are not better for your health, it's still is true that they taste a lot better. Unfortunately the blood oranges produced in the USA are for some reason very low quality, at least all the ones i've had. Nothing like the wonderful taste of blood oranges produced in Europe or South America. I still remember the wonderful hints of rapberry/blackberry in background of blood oranges i ate when i was a youth. Very rich and unusual taste compared to regular oranges.
I think also that when the taste palete is highly stimulated and pleased that also leads naturally to good health.  :P 8) Maybe just psychological health?  :D
Oscar