Author Topic: A citrus tree that is disease resistant in Florida?  (Read 772 times)

Homeby5

• Key Largo, Florida
    • View Profile
A citrus tree that is disease resistant in Florida?
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:40:57 AM »
I went out fishing today with a guy who told me that Citrus has been decimated in Florida and that's why I haven't had luck growing them. He also said that UF just introduced a Citrus plant that is disease resistant and should grow fine here. I don't remember the name but he said it was a type of Mandarin orange. Any ideas?

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: A citrus tree that is disease resistant in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »
I don’t know if it’s what you’re friend was referring to but others more knowledgeable than me have said that the Sugar Belle variety is HLB resistant. FWIW, I have had good luck growing some potted plants under a protective screen after losing my first 7 plants to HLB when I got into this years ago.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 11:13:28 AM »
FruitGrower is certainly correct.  Sugar Bell has shown a higher level of resistance to HLB.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:35:32 PM by Millet »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 03:54:52 PM »
Ponderosa lemon has done okay for me here in SoFl. Minimal care, in a pot, no treatment with pesticides. Was previously treated w/ systemics before purchase, about 3+ years ago. No signs of pests, just stunted from early fruiting. Nearby Satsuma was pulverized by pests.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk