Author Topic: Issue on bark above graft on meyer lemon  (Read 1640 times)

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Issue on bark above graft on meyer lemon
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »
I didnt notice this until yesterday, but underneath the canopy and above the graft, there is a chunk missing out of the bark.  Fire ants are going in and out of it.  I dont know if it was cold damage from this past winter or what is the cause but i want to know what to do.  This tree right now appears to be completely healthy and is currently the most vigorous out of 25 or so citrus trees that I have.  It appears wet because i sprayed some diluted hyrdrogen peroxide in it prior to taking the photo.  Does anyone know the cause and/or a solution to this issue?

Here is what the tree looks like from above showing no symptoms of the issue:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:18:14 AM by countryboy1981 »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: Issue on bark above graft on meyer lemon
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 05:56:40 PM »
I can't properly view the ants, but those could be carpenter ants and they'll put huge holes in a tree.  I'd remove them just in case.

Outside of that, could just be damage where a kid kicked it or bashed it with a stick for fun.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 11:10:54 PM »
I had the neighbors goats chew on an apple tree once and left a similar gash in the trunk of the tree.
I would get rid of the ants completely and wrap the area with either green tape or bud tape. It won't take
long for the tree to heal itself. I didn't wrap the tape tight but I did cover the gash completely?
Mike

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  No goats or kids running rampant.  Maybe something shot out of the lawn mower?  We dont live in a neighborhood so i think that would be the most likely cause.  I was just hoping it was any kind of disease.  Would that greeb tape harbor water and promote rot?  I was thinking of covering it but did not want to have the cover hold water and result in rot.