Author Topic: Branch split due to weight of fruit  (Read 1084 times)

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
Branch split due to weight of fruit
« on: July 25, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
I have a branch on my brown select that split due to the weight of the fruit and ppssibly wind.  My question is, if I can stake the outermost branches to support the weight of the fruit and try to hold the split together with some type of wrap, will the tree heal the split itself?

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Branch split due to weight of fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »
There is a chance but experience tells me "no". I have tried to clamp, tape, screw, nail & wrap split branches and I find that pruning is what it takes to remedy the problem. You can prop the limb & see if your split will allow tbe fruit to ripen. The longer you leave the split exposed the more chance for disease & pest to enter your tree.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 06:35:41 PM »
Ive had this happen a few times.  If you support the broken branch it will usually live but even if you clamp it carefully  they never heal.  I always cut them off once any fruit ripens

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:39:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully i can get these fruit to ripen.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 03:05:55 PM »
Looks like my valentine pomelo branch that broke last year just like yours  (fruits are 1-2 lbs each), because the branch had 8 fruits. I just removed all the fruits (weight) from the broken branch, then placed the cracked branch back into position and added some heavy duty tape (1") and wrapped it up. Now the branch healed and I have fruits on it again. Same thing happened with my Sanbokan lemon. Both healed fine after I tape it up (see photos). But if you don't tape it back up within a day or so it may be too late for cambium to mend back.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
I do not know when it broke, just hoping the fruit will ripen and then I will cut it.