Author Topic: Help my venus mango !  (Read 1339 times)

HobeSoundTropical

• HOBE SOUND 10a
    • View Profile
Help my venus mango !
« on: April 26, 2022, 11:38:20 PM »
Hey all!

My venus mangos on my tree are getting these weird cracks and I'm not sure what it is. Does anyone know what this is? What i can do to stop it from continuing? Thank you all!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Help my venus mango !
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 01:28:07 AM »
The cracks may be variety specific. Venus is descended from Zill IndoChinese (ZIC/ZINC) so like it’s parent, it can have superficial cracks. Sweet Tart and Kathy, both also descendants of ZINC, can also have superficial cracks.

These cracks often occur on fruit I’ve grown in SoCal and the cracks often have sap beads seeping out of them. I’ve tasted some of the sap beads and they taste sweet.

Another negative trait of this lineage is the potential for uneven ripening. This can be avoided by picking the fruit before it becomes fully tree ripened.

Zill Indochinese, Kathy (K3), Venus and Sweet Tart are all so delicious that they are definitely worth planting if you have space for them. These mangos are all absolutely delicious!

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 01:39:01 AM »
Here’s a link to one of our SoCal mango tastings from years past. That was a great year for Venus and I gave some tasting notes for Venus.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=33777.0

Simon

HobeSoundTropical

• HOBE SOUND 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 06:57:03 AM »
Thank you, you said to pick a little sooner, how would you know when to pick them?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
The fruit will be filled in, the nose end would be wider and less skinny. There is also a color change for each variety. Where I live, I get fewer heat units so it takes a long time for my mangos to ripen. I also try to maximize Brix so I leave the fruit on the tree for as long as possible. When I see color on half the fruit and the fruit is also showing sap beads and/or dark lenticils, I know I can pick the fruit and it will fully ripen and have high Brix.

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 01:34:40 PM »
Just for the heck of it, I'd sprinkle pelletized gypsum under the tree.  Maybe the extra calcium would help, and it certainly wouldn't hurt.
John

HobeSoundTropical

• HOBE SOUND 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 09:27:13 PM »
The fruit will be filled in, the nose end would be wider and less skinny. There is also a color change for each variety. Where I live, I get fewer heat units so it takes a long time for my mangos to ripen. I also try to maximize Brix so I leave the fruit on the tree for as long as possible. When I see color on half the fruit and the fruit is also showing sap beads and/or dark lenticils, I know I can pick the fruit and it will fully ripen and have high Brix.

Thank you last year I only had one fruit and half of the fruit was rotten from the cracks and the other was still good.

HobeSoundTropical

• HOBE SOUND 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 09:28:12 PM »
Just for the heck of it, I'd sprinkle pelletized gypsum under the tree.  Maybe the extra calcium would help, and it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I'll have to try that, what are good products I could use and where?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 12:24:01 PM »

I'll have to try that, what are good products I could use and where?
I know where to get it in Pompano Beach (a fertilizer supply company), but I don't know about your area.  Maybe Mike at TreesNMore would have some idea since it helps prevent internal breakdown in mango fruit.
John

HobeSoundTropical

• HOBE SOUND 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 12:05:22 AM »

Here's an update,

One dropped and the other just created a large crack. The higher mangos do not seem to have any issues. Its just wierd. Whats the name of the place down south. I don't mind making a trip to protect my mangos.Ill have to reach out to Mike. He might have some insight.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 09:53:24 AM »
http://universalsupplycorp.com/  (Copans Rd. exit from I-95.  Go west.  Turn left at Blount Rd.--the street right before the Turnpike--then make an immediate right and go to the dead-end.)  Call them to make sure they have it in stock.  It's been a few years since I bought any.  They have many other kinds of fertilizers.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 09:59:11 AM by johnb51 »
John

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »
Is it possible the lower fruits are getting hit by sprinklers and the higher ones are not?

HobeSoundTropical

• HOBE SOUND 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 09:49:29 AM »
Hmm, yes they do.... can that come from sprinklers?

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 12:38:39 PM »
I’m not positive but that seems like a high low correlation. I have heard of fruit being damaged by sprinkler spray, but not sure if it applies to mangos