Author Topic: Wanted good Pummelo seeds  (Read 6509 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Wanted good Pummelo seeds
« on: June 03, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Hi everyone! I want to buy or trade good and if possible sweet pummelo seeds. Thank's!  ;D

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted good Pummelo seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Louisport,  it might be fun to germinate and grow a tree from a  pummelo seed, but unfortunately the tree will not turn out to be a pummelo.  Pummelo seeds do not produce  true from seed. - Millwt

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:43:09 AM »
Louisport,  it might be fun to germinate and grow a tree from a  pummelo seed, but unfortunately the tree will not turn out to be a pummelo.  Pummelo seeds do not produce  true from seed. - Millwt
Really? I didn't know it... i was thinking i could graf some bigy seedlings in my garpefruit or bahia Orange trees. So i nead a pummelo tree? Thank's!  :-[

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »

Olá Luis,

If I'm not mistaken, the Portuguese citrus germplasm collection (Patacão/Faro) used to list 3 or 4 Pomelo (C. maxima)  accessions. It's a long shot, but maybe you could give them a call.

Please do not import any citrus material into Portugal. It's strictly forbidden and huge risk to the orchards we have in Algarve and the rest of southern Europe.

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:16:31 AM »

Olá Luis,

If I'm not mistaken, the Portuguese citrus germplasm collection (Patacão/Faro) used to list 3 or 4 Pomelo (C. maxima)  accessions. It's a long shot, but maybe you could give them a call.

Please do not import any citrus material into Portugal. It's strictly forbidden and huge risk to the orchards we have in Algarve and the rest of southern Europe.
Hi Sergio! Thank's for the advice. Do you have any link or contact of them? Thank's!  ;D

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 03:44:36 PM »
This belongs to state... they sell trees? :o

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:12:01 PM »
 They do not sell trees, but it is their job to preserve propagation material,
 so we should be able to get it from them, at least in theory...  :-\
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »

This is the document where they claim to have 4 accessions of C. maxima (Pomeleiro)
and another 4 of C. paradisi (Toranjeira).

http://www.drapalg.min-agricultura.pt/downloads/pub/Os_RGV_da_DRAPALG.pdf

Please let me know if you manage to confirm this information.

regards,
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:44 AM »

This is the document where they claim to have 4 accessions of C. maxima (Pomeleiro)
and another 4 of C. paradisi (Toranjeira).

http://www.drapalg.min-agricultura.pt/downloads/pub/Os_RGV_da_DRAPALG.pdf

Please let me know if you manage to confirm this information.

regards,
Ok thank's! I will contact them! I will let you know. ;)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 11:21:22 PM »
That's not true. While it is true that pomelo seeds do not turn out exactly true to type, the seeds are very likely to turn out similar to their parents, assuming the tree was not pollinated by some other citrus species in the vicinity. It's when the citrus variety is a hybrid that you are likely to have seeds that do not grow true to type, but in that case such a citrus is likely to be polyembryonic, meaning most of the seeds formed asexually and are exact genetic clones of the parent. Unless any seeds formed sexually, in which case those won't grow true to seed at all.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
SoCal2warm,  pummelos are monoembryonic and do not come true from seed.  Pummelos are not polyembryonic.  Some other common citrus varieties that are monoembryonic are Meyer Lemon, Nagami Kumquat, Marumi Kumquat, Temple Tangor, and Clementine Mandarin.  A pummelo seed will not give a fruit the same as the mother tree.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
Millet, there are several citrus species/varieties that come true to seed (or come very close to being true to seed), even though they are not polyembryonic, and may not be exact clones of their parents. Many heirloom lemons tend to come true to seed, as well as wild pomelos. To some extent it may depend on your definition of "true to seed", it doesn't have to be an exact genetic clone to share nearly all of its fruit traits in common with its parent. In some cases both lines of a parent's chromosome pair may be identical (from inbreeding), so the offspring may end up having the same DNA as the parent, even if the seed it grew from was zygotic. In general, sour citrus varieties tend to be more likely to come "true to seed" or produce offspring very close in phenotype to the parent fruit.
Take a wild citron, switch around a few genes, and the fruit will still be pretty much the same, in most cases. It might not be a clone, but it's still pretty much the same type of citron, overall.

I'm not sure about some of the specific named pomelo varieties with unique traits, but many of the general pomelo types can usually be propagated from seed.

To answer the original poster, unfortunately pomelo is not that common in the U.S. so it can be very difficult to find fresh seeds. If you do find pomelo seeds, they are almost certainly going to be the variety 'Chandler'.

This variety was a hybrid between "Siamese Pink" and Siamese Sweet, a particularly sweet but flavorless pomelo (doesn't have a huge amount of fragrance either), so a seedling from Chandler might turn out to produce insipid fruits.

But I could be wrong, I don't really know for sure.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:22:07 PM by SoCal2warm »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
Just a note a bout Pummelo seed------Citrus Maxima (pummelo) is never used as a rootstock commercially because it is a monoembryonic species, which means that every seedling is genetically unique.  So you don''t get uniformity, and you can't really predict form one seedling to the next what individual characteristics will be.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:07:10 PM by Millet »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 09:51:42 PM »
It gets a little confusing when you use the spelling Pomelo and not pummelo.
Sorry, I struggle myself trying to decide which spelling form is better to use. 

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
Might the spelling be different in a different language? Bag of grapefruit at store says " pamplemouse " for the French version. Maybe pomelo is another language version of pummelo.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »
I used to use pomelo until I found out that Pomelo is a named variety of pummelo. The different ethnic spelling might be true.
Cocktail (grapefruit cultivar) tree vs. cocktail (multi-grafted) fruit tree is also confusing so I've stuck to the term multi-grafted.