Author Topic: Mango tree bacterial black spot  (Read 8077 times)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
Mango tree bacterial black spot
« on: June 03, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
I seem to have noticed my Nam doc Mai which didnt fruit this year, Actually hasn't ever fruited ,Has bacterial black spot i have noticed the black spots with yellow halos on the leafs. Then they turn yellow and fall off. Also have noticed same type of black spots on the new green growth of the tree branches. I'm wondering what approach should I take to cure it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango tree bacterial black spot
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:52:36 PM »
Please post pictures.

There is no cure.  With a lot of fungicide spraying you can try and control it but that about it.  Do nothing and it will spread to other trees.  You can prune it back before spraying and the spraying will almost need to be continual.   Treat pruner/saw blades with bleach solution between cuts.  Do not leave any litter, leaf or infected fruits on the ground (pick everything up and either butn it or dispose of it in a sealed plastic bag.  Do NOT share budwood from your yard with anyone.
- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
http://www.pestnet.org/fact_sheets/mango_bacterial_black_spot_213.htm

Here's some more info on the Subject .

Good Luck ..

Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »
http://www.pestnet.org/fact_sheets/mango_bacterial_black_spot_213.htm

Here's some more info on the Subject .

Good Luck ..

Ed

I have, unfortunately, had direct dealings with an infestation of this disease (not at my property).  There are many publishings and many with lacking/incomplete or poor information.   This is one that is not the greatest.  The damage on the fruit is usually star shaoed and definitely foed well into the flesh, destroying the fruit.   It also causes the fruit to drop prematurely.   I met with Randy Ploetz from USDA in Miami when he inspected an infected grove in Palm Beach County.

There is a very well written publishing from India (most accurate and descriptive I have seen), which I posted a year or two ago.  Unfortunately I cannot seem to find it.
- Rob

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
Ok I have attached images below let me know what you guys think. Should I be worried should I remove all branches with signs of infection? What do you recommend?

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »
Interesting enough I just noticed similar spots on a tree I just bought 'providence' which hasn't had any contact with any of my trees.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
Black Spot Vs. Anthracnose

Video 19+ minutes      http://teca.fao.org/read/8470

guadua

• USA, Florida, Loxahatchee 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 07:05:24 PM »
I had just bought a 3 gallon PPK from a local nursery two weeks ago and after seeing this thread I have realized that the spots it has are bacterial spot. Should I just dispose of the tree or try to treat it? Probably be cheaper to trash it and buy another tree in the future. I'm just wondering how long I can wait to plant a new tree in the same location without worrying it may develop BBS.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:42:58 PM by guadua »

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »
Yea I just bought my providence as well and it came like that didn't know bout this before there has to be something we can do?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:34:01 PM by Tiberivs »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »
Foliar bacterial spot is a relatively common affliction that has been around a while. Normally it doesn't present much of a threat to the tree other than really severe cases that lead to premature defoliation.

However there are newer strains which also attack the fruit. This has become a severe problem in Palm Beach County. You won't know if you're dealing with that until the tree fruits.

I definitely wouldn't automatically trash the tree just because of some bacterial spot on the leaves.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:19:21 PM by Squam256 »

guadua

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
I'm relatively new to mangos and I only have three trees that are 3' tall or less. I watched that video provided by palmcity and bsbullie's comments made it sound bad. I want my garden to be free of serious issues and thought if I dispose of the tree now, it would save me from having to deal with it forever in the future.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:49:14 PM by guadua »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 08:58:35 PM »
Bacterial Black Spot (BBS) Vs. Anthracnose

Video 19+ minutes      http://teca.fao.org/read/8470
In the video Created Tue, 08/09/2015 in Ghana.... The farmers are seen only cutting off limbs affected and spraying (usually copper but occasionally a systemic spray)....The farmers said they were treating a bacterial infection (BBS) hoping it would not return by more wind etc........ I assume they knew they could not eradicate the bacterial species from the world by simply burning a few trees. They did not destroy their groves for sure.

They are seen chilling out on a rainy day in the video when they couldn't work outside without possibly aiding the spread of the bacteria. However, they continued removing infected limbs and burning the limbs, spraying the trees, cleaning their equipment and working the grove and as far as the video infers... they are still working the grove today. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:03:08 PM by palmcity »

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »
I got carried away and pruned my tree pretty much completely hope it comes back stronger and healthier. Put all the material in sealed plastic bags like you guys suggested. Let's see if this even works. My problem was I guess I never noticed I had BBS and it kept spreading maybe now I'll able to remove infected material as it grows and not have the entire tree affected. Or maybe I'll just take down this tree since it hasn't really ever fruited and I planted it before trying some of the better varieties. What worries me is if some of these well known nurseries are selling infected trees to people who don't even know. Could this get out of hand?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:24:05 AM by Tiberivs »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »
Agree. I've had the leaf variant for years without issue, but recently my keitt got the fruit strain, and it's been near impossible to combat.

Foliar bacterial spot is a relatively common affliction that has been around a while. Normally it doesn't present much of a threat to the tree other than really severe cases that lead to premature defoliation.

However there are newer strains which also attack the fruit. This has become a severe problem in Palm Beach County. You won't know if you're dealing with that until the tree fruits.

I definitely wouldn't automatically trash the tree just because of some bacterial spot on the leaves.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 01:02:04 PM »
On small trees, you can cut off the visibly-infected leaves, and the visibly-infected twigs.  Then spray with micro-nutrients and phosphite to improve the plants' own defenses.  Coating sprays with copper fungicides will also decrease surface spreading of disease.
Har

guadua

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
When I bought the PPK. The top half was healthy and spotless and the lower half was covered with spots. It was a lanky tree and I had to cut the top half to reshape the tree. I immediately soaked it with cooper when I brought it home. Hopefully it won't be the strain that attacks the fruit. Has anyone ever used Physan 20 for black spot? I know it's for ornamental plants, but I don't plan on eating a mango from this tree for a couple years.

sharkman

• West Palm. FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »
I was just at Home depot and some of theirs had some BBS. I think if you buy a mango from any place, even if it has no spots when you get it (small nursery's and back yard growers will just select trees that don't show it at the time) it likely carries it maybe just not showing it. I have seen it at every grower and it is very common everywhere they grow. The main problem is you don't know if you have the bad kind or the  not so bad kind. Just something we are going to have to learn to live with and hopefully find something to keep it under control.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 05:47:01 PM »
I may be wrong but I would think there is some misdiagnosing of this rampant BBS spotting (no pun intended).

As most to all peoe have cameras, I suggest takung pictures and posting for confirmation.  If its a tree you own and want definite confirmation,  email ohotos to Randy Ploetz.

By the way, the grove that I initially saw effected two years ago did not show its initial signs as the leaf spots, it was some signs on the branch ends and mostly and mainly the damaged fruit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:05:11 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

guadua

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 06:46:34 PM »
Thanks! I'll send Randy an email....

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 11:34:53 PM »
Here is MBBS damage to the fruit

- Rob

guadua

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:33 PM »
It was nice to have some sunshine and I was finally able to spray my trees with copper again. If the cooper doesn't do the trick, I'll experiment with my physan 20 and report back with the results.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:56 AM »
Thanks! I'll send Randy an email....

What did he say?
- Rob

guadua

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 12:16:52 AM »
He must be busy. I haven't received a response.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »
He must be busy. I haven't received a response.

Odd, two of my friend emailed him and heard back within 2 days or less.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
My edgar got the black spot (fruit, not foliar) this year.
Jeff  :-)