Author Topic: How to get mango scion for grafting in Southern California  (Read 9398 times)

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How to get mango scion for grafting in Southern California
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 12:44:12 AM »
Hello all, 

I am new here and it’s great to hear that Scions are available through members.
I do have a question,  Is it best to graft onto a mono embryonic or poly embryonic rootstock?
I currently have a 2 Keitt mango tree grown from seed, and in the process of germinating a Kent mango and a small yellow mongo (Asian variety not sure which).  I do believe this one is poly embryonic by the look of the seed.
So I’m lost when it comes to choosing the better rootstock or which one would be better for grafting.
Or would I be better off letting each tree grow on its own without grafting?
I’m even considering buying scions and using the exiting trees and hopefully the germinating seeds for rootstock.
All help is appreciated.
Your thoughts....

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:07 AM »
Any rootstock that is healthy will be good. Graft on both.

All mangos were once Asian, haha, but I think you mean the fruit looked like a yellow Manila mango.

I think you should graft it just in case it turns out bad with lots of fiber. You can allow a little bit of growth from the rootstock later to evaluate that fruit.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 04:26:43 PM »
Any rootstock that is healthy will be good. Graft on both.

All mangos were once Asian, haha, but I think you mean the fruit looked like a yellow Manila mango.

I think you should graft it just in case it turns out bad with lots of fiber. You can allow a little bit of growth from the rootstock later to evaluate that fruit.

I know this is probably a stupid question but I have to ask...lol
So if I take a scion from the Keitt mango and graft it to the Manila rootstock and then take a scion from the Kent mango and graft it to the Keitt rootstock,  and the Manila to the other Keitt rootstock,  will that work out? 
All the mango trees I have are growing from seed...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 05:36:27 PM »
That would be odd to release plant material to the public and then work on the patent or wait for the patent to go through.

Simon
Agreed. Once the plant material is out it's kind of hard to control it if the patent is not already in effect. Also very hard to control if the information as to what is and what is not patented is hard to access.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk