Author Topic: How much better are these 'flavorbomb' mangos than those from grocery store?  (Read 3219 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
I've only ever had the autalfo mangos from the grocery store. I find they can taste pretty good.

Are varieties like sweet tart, lemon meringue, lemon zest, bolt, pina colada really that much better tasting?

Thank you for your thoughts!

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Yep

Lots better

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
No words will ever adequately describe sex to a virgin.

igrowmangos

• USA, East Central Florida, Plant Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • Mango Tree Growers Of America (Facebook Page Admin)
Much better tasting indeed they are...
“When life gives you lemons, throw it back & say, “I said I wanted a MANGO!”

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile

sure there is. sex is like a properly ripened lemon zest

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Forget the flavor bomb mangoes. Even the old Florida type mangoes from backyards taste 200% better than store bought. Same must apply to backyard "grown from seed" in California and the thousands of mystery Manila mango trees in the LA region......Imported mangoes are simply picked under ripe (like pears apples etc) and the hope is that by the time it gets to the consumer it is acceptable.

You need a friend with a backyard mango tree. Someone came by today and we got 14 mangoes off my Keitt tree for him and family. Has five children.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:15:51 PM by zands »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
Much better tasting indeed they are...

lol

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
like totally different fruit. diversity in mango flavor profiles is immense. texture is usually much better too. 

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Oh you poor soul.....if you were not in Cali would ship you some next season

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
I went to a mango talk in the summer that described mango flavors and the combinations of flavors experiencesd. I was surprised to see that connoisseurs has gauged 50-60 different flavor profiles to score mangos. Since then I’ve been able to pick out some of the different flavors highlighted from that talk.

But that’s more nuance. If you’re talking flavor bomb, try a pina colada mango. Out of all the mangos I tried this past year that cultivar tastes the least generic and most unique. It even had darker wedges of flesh inside like a mango (no I’m not making this up,  and no I don’t think it was rotting or bad or a coincidence because I noticed the same pattern on the 4 that I had)

From there, you can experience more rose like or floral tastes, more concentrated sweet tastes, more citrus tones, more creamy tones (that’s how My brain interpreted the coconut cream and e4).

Even the seeds look different in those mangoes - like someone gave them a crew cut with like 2mm of fiber all the way around and that’s it!

Many of the mangoes will have combinations of flavors, just like I heard about in the lecture, and the flavors will hit at different times throughout the bite. Interestingly, flavor of mango will also change according to when it is picked and stage of ripeness. I had a fantastic fruit cocktail mango in Florida. 5 days later I had another one that  must have passed its prime flavor because it tasted like curdled cheese with no hint of mango at all.

My trees are fairly young but I managed to ripen a fruit punch mango. I still picked it a tad early and it took longer than I expected to soften but my wife and children asked for more of that one and were more enthusiastic for that mango than for standard store bought ones.

Hope that helps. In short, yes there is a wide variety of mango flavors out there. If you don’t think you could tell the difference, try something that will really stand out like pina colada and see if you can appreciate the difference.

Khaled

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: How much better are these 'flavorbomb' mangos than those from grocery store?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »
I think Ataulfo mangos from the grocery store are often better than other store-bought ones, but yes, home-grown mangos are likely to be much better.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: How much better are these 'flavorbomb' mangos than those from grocery store?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:12 AM »

Don't tease, there's nothing stopping you from sending Mango to CA.

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »

Don't tease, there's nothing stopping you from sending Mango to CA.

I thought there was some sort of government regulation.

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 03:58:19 PM »
Tasted my first Coconut Cream and M4 from Excalibur this July while I was buying a carload of trees. The M4 didn't seem like anything special (just a plain high quality mango), but the CC was definitely unique and extremely high quality.

If you're not considering the uniqueness of the extreme coconut taste, the quality/sweetness/texture/taste is about the same as the difference between a Tommy and Haden. It ISN'T as extreme as prime ribeye vs Japanese A5 Wagyu.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »

sure there is. sex is like a properly ripened lemon zest

;D ;D ;D

I have never had a lemon zest.  :( :( :(

Forget the flavor bomb mangoes. Even the old Florida type mangoes from backyards taste 200% better than store bought. Same must apply to backyard "grown from seed" in California and the thousands of mystery Manila mango trees in the LA region......Imported mangoes are simply picked under ripe (like pears apples etc) and the hope is that by the time it gets to the consumer it is acceptable.

You need a friend with a backyard mango tree. Someone came by today and we got 14 mangoes off my Keitt tree for him and family. Has five children.

Yes, this is true for so many fruits, not just mangoes. I listened to this episode of Gastropodcast for 40 minutes, and there was all this talk about different varieties of mangos, but not a single mention of ripeness at harvest time.

So your friend harvested one for each of his kids and 9 for himself? LOL! He must really love those children to give them each one.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!