Author Topic: Additive to make copper fungicide "stick" better?  (Read 7185 times)

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
Additive to make copper fungicide "stick" better?
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:28:44 PM »
When reading about the anthracnose susceptibility of different cultivars of mango, I noticed that one article recommended that an additive be used to help the copper stick to the waxy surfaces of the plant better. And come to think of it, when I do apply copper I notice that most of it beads up and rolls right off.

Who uses an additive and what exactly is it?  Seems like a horticultural oil would maybe work?

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Additive to make copper fungicide "stick" better?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »
Usually "spreader/sticker"s are used for this -- these are surfactants.  Generally, places that sell pesticides/fungicides/herbicides carry the spreader/stickers as well.  They can probably suggest a good one to use with your fungicide.

John

When reading about the anthracnose susceptibility of different cultivars of mango, I noticed that one article recommended that an additive be used to help the copper stick to the waxy surfaces of the plant better. And come to think of it, when I do apply copper I notice that most of it beads up and rolls right off.

Who uses an additive and what exactly is it?  Seems like a horticultural oil would maybe work?

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:26:48 AM »
just a few drops of dishwashing detergent seems to work pretty good as a spreader/sticker.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
With the daily rains I feel you need a stronger product.
I don't think copper and oil do well together

Try Nu Film 17 or the regular. See the instructions in their label. Now every agricultural supply sell  some brand of Nonionic Sticker Surfactant  that you can use with copper. Also invest a bit and get a pro. copper product like Dupont Kodice 2000 or Cuprofix.

There are now a new generation of copper products in a true solution, not a suspension  (not that blue stuff they sell at HD) These solutions are trans dermal and are better for the soil and should last longer. They require less cooper to do the job.One brand is MasterCop  http://www.farms.com/Commentaries/new-technology-improves-copper-fungicide-64097.aspx
Or Magna-Bon CS 2005  http://www.magnabon.com/cs-2005
Read both to get an idea of the benefits of the new coppers

I add some nutritional as well to the mix.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:17:35 AM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:15:10 PM »
Dishwashing liquid does work pretty well.The surfactant used in roundup in the past was found to be lethal to frogs.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
OK. Many thanks for the advice, Carlos. I'm going to print this one out for future reference :-).

Try Nu Film 17 or the regular. See the instructions in their label. Now every agricultural supply sell  some brand of Nonionic Sticker Surfactant  that you can use with copper. Also invest a bit and get a pro. copper product like Dupont Kodice 2000 or Cuprofix.

There are now a new generation of copper products in a true solution, not a suspension  (not that blue stuff they sell at HD) These solutions are trans dermal and are better for the soil and should last longer. They require less cooper to do the job.One brand is MasterCop  http://www.farms.com/Commentaries/new-technology-improves-copper-fungicide-64097.aspx

Jeff  :-)

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
Great info Carlos.  What do you think of this Copper product?:

http://www.sepro.com/documents/cupro_label.pdf 

Thanx for your contribution. We need a "like" button.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:43:38 PM by cuban007 »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »

I'm not familiar with the product is not the new generation of copper fungicides.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »

I'm not familiar with the product is not the new generation of copper fungicides.

I mist all the scions I send with copper fungicide they seem to hold up a lot better.....I got the tip from my friend enduser.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
You can get 1 gal of Southern AG Spreader Sticker on eBay for less than $40.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »
Thanks everyone. I am just a small home grower with a few trees that need to be sprayed. I use a hose end sprayer and the southern Ag liquid copper fungicide which is very convenient for me. I dump in the concentrate, turn the dial to the right setting, and spray Away. The whole process takes less than 15 minutes. but I do want to use better quality products and pay less for them.  I know I'm getting raped on the price of a pint of fungicide.

Obviously these products aren't made for home growers.  I am having a HELL Of a time converting this stuff to what might be useful to me.  For example, It doesn't help to know how many gallons per acre to use because I don't have acres... and honestly, a lot of the wording doesn't make sense.

For CS 2005, it says for mango anthracnose use  "150-200 ppm per 100 gallons." I don't know why it says per 100 gallons - concentration is concentration whether I have one drop or an entire ocean full.  So there's no need to assume any volume whatsoever.  In fact, the whole point of concentration is that total volume doesn't matter! :o

So If I just ignore the per 100 gallons part, and then go to the dilution table it says that for "50 gallons per acre" at 200 ppm to use 25.6 oz.  Well, I ASSUME it actually means to use 25.6 ounces for every 50 gallons to achieve 200 ppm concentration.  Obviously if I'm spraying at 50 gallons diluted solution per acre, and im spraying a thousand acres I'm going to use more product than if I sprayed 100 acres, or way more than one acre.  So again, very confusing.

Anyways, if i go with my assumption and I divide 25.6oz / 50 gallons, I get 0.512 oz/gallon. One tablespoon is 0.5 oz, so basically to get 200 ppm, I believe we are to use one tablespoon of concentrate per gallon. This is a measurement I can actually use.

So to wrap this all up, is CS5000 a liquid concentrate? Can a homeowner buy it? And if so, to treat mango anthracnose I should set my sprayer at 1 tablespoon per gallon, right?

Thanks... Sorry if that was confusing.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:06:29 AM by Slopfog »

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:07:49 AM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:11:17 AM by Slopfog »

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »

Do you know if you can mix that concentrate with liquid copper concentrate?  I read the product labels online but it doesn't say anyone about mixing concentrates.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
I'm sure you can, follow both label direction and you should be fine.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »

Do you know if you can mix that concentrate with liquid copper concentrate?  I read the product labels online but it doesn't say anyone about mixing concentrates.

Are you talking about pouring the liquid copper into the Spreader Sticker container and storing them that way?  Or adding them into a container, immediately prior to mixing to a diluted form?  I wouldn't combine the two for storage because you may wish to use Spreader Sticker with other things, like Neem Oil for bugs, which might be harder with having everything mixed together.  I had copper react with iron once, made all of the iron drop out of solution.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »

Are you talking about pouring the liquid copper into the Spreader Sticker container and storing them that way?  Or adding them into a container, immediately prior to mixing to a diluted form?  I wouldn't combine the two for storage because you may wish to use Spreader Sticker with other things, like Neem Oil for bugs, which might be harder with having everything mixed together.  I had copper react with iron once, made all of the iron drop out of solution.

I was talking about mixing the concentrates for use in a hose end sprayer.  I'm not worried about the cost, and I would only make a cup or pint of concentrate mix at a time.  Compatibility I do worry about, however.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »
I was talking about mixing the concentrates for use in a hose end sprayer.  I'm not worried about the cost, and I would only make a cup or pint of concentrate mix at a time.  Compatibility I do worry about, however.

Copper + spreader should be fine.  Copper + Iron = chemical reaction with iron falling out of solution.
www.FLMangos.com

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
Thanks!

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »
Reviving an old thread - where does one buy these 'stronger/better' fungicides like MasterCop, Magna-Bon, etc.? I can't find any online source for them. I can find places to buy Nordox, but that's about it.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »
For the magna bon, I would try a couple of things:

- Contact the manufacturer and ask where it can be purchased. It's probably only available at grower supply stores.

- Ask 7springsfarm.com if they can order it for you. They have special ordered an item for me in the past and were quite friendly in the process. Prices have always been very reasonable.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk