Author Topic: Preferred irrigation in Orchard  (Read 1176 times)

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Preferred irrigation in Orchard
« on: July 02, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
How's it going everyone?

I am designing out an irrigation system to be implemented into my orchard.

Currently I have a lot of mature but struggling avocado trees that I intend to interplant with a lot of other subtropicals with varying water requirements.  I am currently thinking that using Net-a-fim irrigation and spiraling around the root zones/drip lines will give me the best control on the amount of water going onto individual plants.  I am also considering doing some supplemental overhead irrigation to get water on leaves, as well as to just soak areas that would otherwise not be covered.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Would definitely be curious to hear what other people are doing.

Thanks

Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

echinopora

• View Profile
Re: Preferred irrigation in Orchard
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 03:16:57 PM »
I’ve used a variety of methods but have been impressed with wobble top style emitters. There are upright and upside down types, they throw large droplets that are less prone to wind spray and evaporation and are pretty clog resistant. One downside is lack of pressure compensation.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »
Spinners are preferred for mature trees.  Quarter circle sprayers for immature trees. 
Brad Spaugh

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 02:26:53 AM »
I like spinners, Netafim Jr to be specific (not easy to find). The top reason is that I fertilize / improve the soil with compost and mulch and the rain provided by the spinner makes it decompose and penetrate over time. But I'm in SoCal with less natural rain than you... Also, I have hard well water and drip gets clogged over time and you can't really see that until the tree tells you and by then it's far too late. In the veggie garden I use drip and inject citric acid to keep it going plus replace about every 2 years, plus it's easier to see there... The thing I don't like about the spinners is that they tend to wet the trunk of the tree... Lots of considerations you have to weigh based on your specific requirements...

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 07:54:26 AM »
I wet my trees with the hose and also buckets if its long distance .
This made me to grow long arms like a gorila  ;D.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 10:01:02 AM »
I like spinners, Netafim Jr to be specific (not easy to find). The top reason is that I fertilize / improve the soil with compost and mulch and the rain provided by the spinner makes it decompose and penetrate over time. But I'm in SoCal with less natural rain than you... Also, I have hard well water and drip gets clogged over time and you can't really see that until the tree tells you and by then it's far too late. In the veggie garden I use drip and inject citric acid to keep it going plus replace about every 2 years, plus it's easier to see there... The thing I don't like about the spinners is that they tend to wet the trunk of the tree... Lots of considerations you have to weigh based on your specific requirements...

Thanks, good point about the compost and soil building. Decomposition definitely isn't happening quickly up here in the summer and it would be good to add some moisture to the system to assist in that during the hottest parts of the year.  It seems like spinners would probably be the way to go. I have high Iron and Mn so think that I'd probably have issues irrigating with drip. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »
An advantage of those longer arms... no need for a ladder at picking time!

Kevin Jones

I wet my trees with the hose and also buckets if its long distance .
This made me to grow long arms like a gorila  ;D.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 08:46:25 PM »
You can consider the spinners by Antelco.