Author Topic: backpack sprayer  (Read 1654 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
backpack sprayer
« on: April 01, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »
I recently bought a $99 20v backpack sprayer from Wal mart.
The battery says black and decker but I think it was a Chapin model?
Anyway I used it a month ago and it was wonderful. It's 4 gallons and I
filled it 4 times and it worked great drenching the leaves. Today I filled it
up and after about 10 minutes it was starting and stopping starting and stopping.
I was hoping to spray something at the beginning of each month and I was hoping to
get one season out of it? I can return it and get another one or does someone
have a better choice?

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: backpack sprayer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:05:28 PM »
Could be strainer, filter or the nozzle is clogged

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 11:33:33 AM »
Did you empty it after use and run Reverse Osmosis water through it to clean it. I do that with mine and then let everything air dry.

I have the Petra model from Amazon and it works great for a small backyard. There is a generic version that looks identical to the Petra but it’s cheaper. Not sure if they still have it and I can’t remember the name but it was also on Amazon.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 11:38:23 AM »
I just checked Amazon and I can’t even find the model I purchased anymore. They’re now offering battery powered versions instead.

Simon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
Most sprayers really need a good cleanout and flush all the way through every time after use. The dregs that build up inside harden or get sticky and clog things up. 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »
I took it apart and cleaned it and it still wasn't working.
It was a battery issue. I exchanged it and will give it one more
try? The reviews were excellent on it but everyone who commented said
they hadn't used it more then a couple times? The first time I used it it was
wonderful. Then it worked fine for 10 minutes the second time?

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 06:11:50 PM »
I'm not familiar with that sprayer, but I have some experience with black and decker batteries in different power tools.
the batteries are terrible in my opinion. But again, I am but one person. :)
-Kris

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »
And im thinking to buy a fake drill ( makita)with 2 li ion batteries at just 50 dollars with charger and everything.On the batteryes it says 24 V and 3 amps but its 12 volts and 1,5 amp each battery.Both batteryes put together=24V and 3 amps 😂.
I think il start collecting fake brand tools as a hobby after i got a fake Stihl chainsaw that ive becomed verry proud of it.

I might need a sprayer pump soon but im thinking to get a manual one except the case if i find one electric  that fits the makita new batteryes .

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 09:06:21 PM »
I have tried so many sprayers and they have all been junk except my Echo hand pump sprayer.  It is sturdy and very serviceable, you can take it all apart if you have to. 

If they have a backpack sprayer I would try it

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 12:45:33 AM »
After trying out 4 gallon hand pump backpack sprayer to Chapin 4 gal battery powered backpack sprayer, I settled on this. It comes in 1 gal version as well, and battery is universal among all Ryobi tools. I use 1 gal version for fungicide spray and 2 gal for foliar feeding. It's easier to carry around and pump works well, I have been using it since last summer without issues.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-2-Gal-Chemical-Sprayer-with-2-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-P2830A/303365816

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 06:13:10 AM »
for what it's worth, I've gone through about a dozen crappy to semi-decent pump sprayers and all met the same death with the sprayer eventually getting clogged. I have since graduated to this excellent 4-gallon battery sprayer that has functioned flawlessly for the last year or so. It's more expensive, but thus far worth it especially since I can now just power walk around the yard and not worry about pumping: https://my4sons.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VTPD7VUFAzrg3bVRccmTyKxFOoeZQ25PXZSnB4-a_ALKWjNDCiigGBoCR3AQAvD_BwE

All that said, I'm somewhat more careful with filling the sprayer these days. I have a small micron strainer that fits over a 5-gallon bucket so when mixing anything in granulated/powder form, I start in one bucket and pour into the other with the strainer/filter to capture any remaining large particles. The sprayer itself has a filter but I prefer the much smaller particle bucket strainer. Thus far I haven't had any issues. For me, it's the kelp powder that doesn't dissolve particularly well and leaves behind relatively large particles that I think is the sprayer killer.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
When getting a sprayer, I feel that one of the most important features is it’s ability or inability to atomize the solution into a fog. I have many hand and manual pump backpack sprayers and these spray the solution out in large particles that sprays outward from the pressure inside the pump and then they fall downward from gravity.

In order to spray the undersides of leaves, you need to invert the sprayer and it is extremely difficult to get full coverage of large trees because the lack of forward pressure makes it difficult to reach deep within trees. Because regular pump sprayers don’t atomize the particles like a fogger, it is extremely difficult to reach taller trees, especially the undersides of the upper canopy.

The large droplets of hand pump sprayers are significantly less efficient in terms of solution usage compared to foggers. The electric or gas foggers creates a cloud like fog that penetrates deep into the canopy and because the particles are atomized into a fog, the solution contacts the undersides of leaves and the canopy without having to contort your body or the sprayer.

Here is what my fogger looks like
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32585.msg357305#msg357305

I volunteer for elderly gardeners and with my electric fogger, the cost savings in saved solutions has already helped me to recover the cost of my fogger and then some, a lot actually.

Not only does it save me money but it takes maybe 1/3-1/4 the amount of time to do a yard compared to my old backpack pump sprayer.

Info on electric/gas fogger
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26761.msg309874#msg309874

Info on foliar feeding
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.0

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk