Author Topic: Not an Ice Cream banana?  (Read 2802 times)

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Not an Ice Cream banana?
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »
 I bought this banana plant last year which I was told was a "ice cream" but the pics of "blue Java" fruit don't match the fruit on my plant. Thoughts? The fruit is about 4 months old...

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:41:05 PM by C24mccain »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: Not an Ice Cream banana?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
It seams one musa Pisang Awak or Namwah.

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
I bought this banana plant last year which I was told was a "ice cream" but the pics of "blue Java" fruit don't match the fruit on my plant. Thoughts? The fruit is about 4 months old...

I actually think that the middle pick looks like BJ but my tree doesn't throw out as many pups.  Maybe it has more to do with environmental factors however my namwah produces LOTS of pups.
- Marley

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:41:34 PM »
I took a pup off the mother plant in February and planted it next to my pond. It now is big with 9 pups which you can't see them all in this pick. So it seems to me at least next a pond with lots of compost and mulch whatever this plant is it puts out lots of pups. I plan on thinning some of the pups tomorrow. However I'm wondering if the close by water source and food supply if this plant can carry more pups than usual without hurting it's fruiting ability?

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:31:50 PM »
In searching the internet I have found that it is extremely common for Namwah to be mislabeled as "Ice Cream" so I'm very confident I do not have a "Blue Java".

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
If you ever want the real Blue Java, we are growing it in Sarasota. I find the fruit of Namwa is better for a longer period of time - keeps a nice texture. Blue Java has great, white, fluffy fruit when eaten at just the right time, but can get mushy when over ripe.

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 07:00:59 PM »
If you ever want the real Blue Java, we are growing it in Sarasota. I find the fruit of Namwa is better for a longer period of time - keeps a nice texture. Blue Java has great, white, fluffy fruit when eaten at just the right time, but can get mushy when over ripe.

Thanks for the offer... Not sure yet if I really want one but I'll contact you if I do decide to get one.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 07:35:14 PM »
In searching the internet I have found that it is extremely common for Namwah to be mislabeled as "Ice Cream" so I'm very confident I do not have a "Blue Java".

Really depends on the when, where and origin of the plant you have....
- Rob

C24mccain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 07:54:57 PM »

Really depends on the when, where and origin of the plant you have....

No clue... Got it from a small local nursery here in Lakeland... Either way I should find out soon if the nanners are any good.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »
Here's my Blue Java. It does look different.

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 02:51:30 AM »
Looks 100% like namwa, not blue java. Lucky you--blue java is a great banana, but namwa is a thousand times better.
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:55:11 AM »
Looks 100% like namwa, not blue java. Lucky you--blue java is a great banana, but namwa is a thousand times better.

That is where tastes are subjective.   I would rather have a perfectly ripe Blue Java over a perfectly ripe Namwa.
- Rob

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »

That is where tastes are subjective.   I would rather have a perfectly ripe Blue Java over a perfectly ripe Namwa.

I agree! My youngest daughter won't even eat Namwa now after tasting many of the bananas we grow - she says they are boring.