Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Geothermal Greenhouse

(1/3) > >>

will2358:
Does anyone have or ever had a Geothermal greenhouse. I wish I lived on rural property so that I could build one. It did cost a lot to heat the greenhouse, when I had it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibaf_rkW_30

SoCal2warm:
The pipes only need to go 12 feet down into the ground, although  18 to 23 feet is more optimal.
Probably also a good idea to design in a drainage pipe and pump into those pipes, to be able to remove any water that condenses from humidity down there.

It's not so much geothermal heat, more like the earth acting as a thermal battery between night and day. Get some hot greenhouse temperatures and you can pump a lot of heat energy down there during the day.

Here in the PNW, the coldest nights in the winter always come after clear sunny days.

SeaWalnut:
Thats geothermal but the condensation in the ground should not happen in winter  because the air from the GH its colder than the underground pipes.In the summer if hot air goes through the cold pipes,then it will condensate.
I toght at this before for my greenhouse but il build a rocket stove that works on wood because its less work and i have a lot of branches to burn on my property.

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: SeaWalnut on July 06, 2019, 01:49:12 AM ---Thats geothermal but the condensation in the ground should not happen in winter  because the air from the GH its colder than the underground pipes.

--- End quote ---
Not during the daytime, with full sun.

Even in winter, under clear skies it could get to be over 100° in that greenhouse if things were not vented out somehow.

In the case of geothermal greenhouses, that heat is vented down into the cool ground. At night, that ground, while still kind of cold, is still warmer than what it would otherwise be inside the greenhouse. Things don't need to be kept very warm at night for plants to grow.

SeaWalnut:

--- Quote from: SoCal2warm on July 06, 2019, 02:10:11 AM ---
--- Quote from: SeaWalnut on July 06, 2019, 01:49:12 AM ---Thats geothermal but the condensation in the ground should not happen in winter  because the air from the GH its colder than the underground pipes.

--- End quote ---
Not during the daytime, with full sun.

Even in winter, under clear skies it could get to be over 100° in that greenhouse if things were not vented out somehow.

In the case of geothermal greenhouses, that heat is vented down into the cool ground. At night, that ground, while still kind of cold, is still warmer than what it would otherwise be inside the greenhouse. Things don't need to be kept very warm at night for plants to grow.

--- End quote ---
Geothermal means a stable temperature all time,day and night ,summer and winter.At certain depth,the soil has same temperature in winter and in the summer and day/ night differences doesnt matter .The depth of that layer varies by the topology and climate of the terrain ( in Siberia and Canada there is permafrost-a soil that stays frozen all the time even in summer but underneath that it gets warmer and stavle just like the permafrost). I was thinking to run water through radiators inside the greenhouse conected to a heat exchanger mounted in my well .Since my well its 37 meters deep and made of one meter wide concrete tubes ,there is a lot of space for a big and efficient heat exchanger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version