Author Topic: Big thai mango  (Read 4202 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Big thai mango
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »

This is a video of a big thai mango:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=On-1FE3oNRs

They say that this mango weights over 2 kg, it's supposed to be similar to Kiao Savoi and the grower is not willing to share budwood... the grower just calls it 'yuk mango', which means huge mango.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
Re: Big thai mango
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
Very impressive. Yes, they do have some monster mangoes in Thailand. Even if this farmer is unwilling to share budwood, grafted mega monster mango trees and fruit are already available in Chatuchak market and are very cheap and plentiful. They've been available for a while, too.

Here is a post I submitted in GW while I was still living in Thailand. You can see several monster varieties.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg121415341807.html?14
✌🏽

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
I grafted 3 of those huge variety's on my tree. On Chatuchak are many species of huge mango's. Some cost 500-1000 baht for a small tree. I also bought a Elephant tusk red mango tree with 2 kilo mango's but it died the next day after i bought it.

I would like to know which of those big ones tastes the best. My wife sent me pics of Kio Jay that she got from her uncle last week. I also grafted that one.

Adaosky i have read your story about a year ago, how are your mangotree's doing now on the balcony?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »
Chris, great post! Are you growing some of those mangos in Guam?

BKK, cool pic! Keep us updated on your mangos ;)

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
That Kio Yai also can be huge and i also have seen them yellow coloured on a fair.

The mango on the pic looks like it was bagged or sprayed well but as far as i know my wife's family they do not spray anything and also don't bag.

Do they also have the huge variety's in the usa? I have never heard about them from the Florida chapter.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »
Keitts in Rusty's market today ranged up to 2.8kg the biggest of that variety I have ever seen.Even at $1.20/kg no one is buying them and vendors will be saddled with heaps they can't shift.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
I have Kio Jay, NDM Mun, Huang Hong (or something like that,a big purple taiwanese mango it is ) and i had Elephant tusk red but those died.

I only tasted the Elephant tusk red mango and it was ok but not the best mango i ever had. It was 2 kg i guess.

Yu-wen is also a very big mango from Taiwan and sold on Chatuchak.

What is wrong with the big Keitt mango's Mike? Is a small Keitt better or is Keitt not popular at all these days in Oz? I never tried a Keitt.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »

Adaosky i have read your story about a year ago, how are your mangotree's doing now on the balcony?

Hi Bangkok,
I no longer have those trees. I gave them away to a friend when I left Thailand. I'm sure they are in good hands. I was always impressed with the selection and variety available at Chatuchak. Good luck with your grafts!

Chris, great post! Are you growing some of those mangos in Guam?

Hi Felipe,

No, I don't have them anymore but I do have several seedling trees from Thailand. I'll take my chances and time to see if these seedling trees produce anything worthwhile in the future. I have seedlings of Kim Hong, Maha Chanok, Kiew Sawoy, and Nam Doc Mai.  Wish me luck!
✌🏽

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 01:32:17 AM »
Damn,

That is a pretty impressive Mango.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 02:12:17 AM »
I am inheritantly shy of larger fruit, the smaller the better seems to be my mantra, but ya, quite impressive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk