Author Topic: Help need mulch source for north Broward county  (Read 1653 times)

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
Help need mulch source for north Broward county
« on: July 14, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
I have a dozen young fruit trees that I want to mulch with real wood chips, bark, leaves and the like. I don’t want anything from a big box store, nothing with dyes, and I don’t care what it visually looks like. Preferably I am looking for a place I can go to pickup some natural product, does anyone have some specific places in north Broward or south palm beach county?

Thank you in advance

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Help need mulch source for north Broward county
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
Is there a service like this in Broward

https://southeastarborist.com/free-wood-chips/

I believe landscaping and tree services that need to get rid of fresh wood chips will be ready to drop it off, possibly free. 

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 08:13:30 PM »
just use grass clippings or horse manure

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »

I don’t find posts like this helpful, if a person is coming to this board they will generally have basic knowledge like this. I asked for a source, as in, a place I can go to get some volume of what I need, I am not asking for methods of making my own.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:25:13 AM »
Hi Bishop, i suggest contact member Squam ( Alex) via private message. He manages a mango Farm In WPB. I sometimes see big piles of mulch when i visit.
It's a good bet he can direct you to a source.
Mike.

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
Hi Bishop, i suggest contact member Squam ( Alex) via private message. He manages a mango Farm In WPB. I sometimes see big piles of mulch when i visit.
It's a good bet he can direct you to a source.
Mike.
Ty kindly

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
Is there a service like this in Broward

https://southeastarborist.com/free-wood-chips/

I believe landscaping and tree services that need to get rid of fresh wood chips will be ready to drop it off, possibly free.
Ty kindly, will try them as I am very north and maybe I could use them. Though my HOA might not be too excited with them dumping a pile of chips were it can be seen.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »

I don’t find posts like this helpful, if a person is coming to this board they will generally have basic knowledge like this. I asked for a source, as in, a place I can go to get some volume of what I need, I am not asking for methods of making my own.

I disagree, a lot of people come this board with no prior knowledge. Also if you get mulch from an outside source you don't know what insects, pesticides, herbicides, etc. are in it so making your own or using manure is usually better.

Also you can get horse manure from most ranches in Davie, it's really good for bananas and attracting earthworms.

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 03:37:57 PM »
Also if you get mulch from an outside source you don't know what insects, pesticides, herbicides, etc. are in it so making your own or using manure is usually better.

To be clear I was asking for advice on where to get quality mulch (not compost) from not how to make it (obviously by giving my general location I was looking for somewhere to go)... I am looking for people’s advice on where they are getting their’s in my area. They would already have the experience and could tell me things like why they choose a place. I would then have knowledge as to what was going into it, or could investigate it myself.
Using horse manure sounds ok except how am I supposed to know that there aren’t medications or chemicals going into that as well seems like the same origination issue. Most manure is mixed with the bedding, do you know exactly what chemicals were used on the hay? Or paper? Or wood shavings? Not too mention the E. coli and other pathogens in horse manure. Frankly I am aware that horse manure in particular is significantly more prone to introduce weeds vs cow manure (it has it’s own negatives). Along with the fact that I would have to add in Phosphorus and Potassium from other sources as horse manure is low in these. My preference would be to stick to native woods, leaves... etc and add my own nitrogen sources from my food waste, if need be for when I need compost. But I don’t, I need mulch.

noochka1

• Miramar, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 04:39:30 PM »
https://getchipdrop.com/  Free mulch delivered.

Bishop

• Zone 10
    • View Profile