Author Topic: Fungus on mango flowers  (Read 18926 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Fungus on mango flowers
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
If the weather is too hot and sunny for wettable sulfur, you may want to try a new organically-approved systemic fungicide that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes:
ORGANOCIDE PLANT DOCTOR, which is a clear odorless, non-oily liquid of mono-potassium salt of phosphorous acid.  This is totally unlike the smelly fish-oil  "Organocide 3-in1."  Though Plant Doctor is labeled only for anthracnose on mango bloom, I read elsewhere that this active ingredient is also effective on powdery mildew.  As there is usually also some anthracnose around, and since most fungicides work best as preventives, before you even see any symptoms, you will not be out-of-line using this product.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I don't think our Home Depot carries Organocide or Bonide products mentioned as being carried in Florida. I think it's up to individual store managers what they carry and don't carry in their stores. You will probably see differences in products carried even in different parts of Florida.
Oscar
Oscar

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 07:30:42 AM »
Thanks Har! Sounds like a good one to check out...

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »
Oh great, another infirmity I need to look out for  :o

Can you guys post some more pictures of what it looks like on the leaves?  Little white/grey dotty areas? 

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
Gwenn, the weird thing is (actually I guess its a good thing!) I don't have it on my leaves...not least NONE that I can see. Its only on a few of my Bloom spikes...I would be interested in seeing what it looks like on the leaves also to make sure I know what I'm looking for.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 01:37:39 AM »
Gwenn, the weird thing is (actually I guess its a good thing!) I don't have it on my leaves...not least NONE that I can see. Its only on a few of my Bloom spikes...I would be interested in seeing what it looks like on the leaves also to make sure I know what I'm looking for.

PM had made the leaves on my Florigon curl up lengthwise. It looks like a light sprinkling of talcum powder on the leaf. I didn't photo it as i didn't want any fond memories of it.  :-\
Oscar
Oscar

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2012, 08:26:16 AM »
PM had made the leaves on my Florigon curl up lengthwise. It looks like a light sprinkling of talcum powder on the leaf. I didn't photo it as i didn't want any fond memories of it.  :-\
Oscar

Lol Oscar, I don't blame you for not wanting any memory to that either.

I purchase the 3-in-1 Organocide at Walmart for under $14...we had over 2" of rain last night...Amazing since the last time we had any significant rain was Halloween of last year except for a two tenths of an inch a couple of weeks ago, we've been VERY dry. Luckily, I sprayed the trees on Saturday with Copper ( I didn't have any sulfur) and was planning on getting something for the PM this week.

I will probably wait a week before I spray it with the Organocide since I just sprayed it with Copper.

This link tells more about  what Organocide will do...
 http://www.organiclabs.com/InfoSheets/3in1FAQ.pdf

BTW, it took me several tries before the server would download the picture...definitely having issues.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:37:22 PM by murahilin »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »
Oscar
Lol Oscar, I don't blame you for not wanting any memory to that either.

I purchase the 3-in-1 Organocide at Walmart for under $14...we had over 2" of rain last night...Amazing since the last time we had any significant rain was Halloween of last year except for a two tenths of an inch a couple of weeks ago, we've been VERY dry. Luckily, I sprayed the trees on Saturday with Copper ( I didn't have any sulfur) and was planning on getting something for the PM this week.

I will probably wait a week before I spray it with the Organocide since I just sprayed it with Copper.

This link tells more about  what Organocide will do...
 http://www.organiclabs.com/InfoSheets/3in1FAQ.pdf

BTW, it took me several tries before the server would download the picture...definitely having issues.
Nancy - I think Har was saying to use Organocide Plant Doctor for PM, not their 3 in 1.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:38:27 PM by murahilin »
- Rob

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »
Here is the spray program that I use up here in Centrel Florida on the mango grove on Merritt Island.
I broke it down for smaller applications. Hope this helps.

GENERAL SPRAY FOR CONTROL OF POWDERY MILDEW & ANTHRACNOSE

PRE BLOOM
Start to spray before bloom emerges from the stem or no later than 2 to 3 inches long. With a combination of Sulfur/ and one of the below.

Diathran 78= 2 ½ TBLS per gallon
Diathran 45= 2 ½ TBLS per gallon
Manzit 50 = 3 TBLS per gallon
Kaptan 50 = 3 TBLS per gallon

BLOOM
Spray weekly until fruit set of Buck-Shot size with the following.

Then on the sixth week, spray with sulfur for mildew control again.

Sulfur is 2oz per gallon of H2O.

*** Remember to add Spreader Sticker to each batch of mix.***

Final spray should be a Copper spray when the mangos are the size of a goose egg. we use wettable copper.
 Liquid coppers differ in strength, so follow the manufactures label plus spreader sticker.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 03:06:13 PM »
Here is the spray program that I use up here in Centrel Florida on the mango grove on Merritt Island.
I broke it down for smaller applications. Hope this helps.

GENERAL SPRAY FOR CONTROL OF POWDERY MILDEW & ANTHRACNOSE

PRE BLOOM
Start to spray before bloom emerges from the stem or no later than 2 to 3 inches long. With a combination of Sulfur/ and one of the below.

BLOOM
Spray weekly until fruit set of Buck-Shot size with the following.

Then on the sixth week, spray with sulfur for mildew control again.

Sulfur is 2oz per gallon of H2O.

*** Remember to add Spreader Sticker to each batch of mix.***

Final spray should be a Copper spray when the mangos are the size of a goose egg. we use wettable copper.
 Liquid coppers differ in strength, so follow the manufactures label plus spreader sticker.
Just what I want with my mangos...

Dithane(45 and 78) contains mancozeb and ETU, both known to the state of California to cause cancer. ETU is also known to the state of California to cause birth defects. http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/dithane.htm

Captan is considered a probable human carcinogen by the EPA. http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/0120fact.pdf

Manzate - Also contains mancozeb and ETU.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
OMG Rob...Thank you for pointing that out! You are SO right...its a good thing I haven't opened it yet,lol...its going back to Walmart. But, after researching Organocide Plant Doctor I haven't been able to come up with a picture to see what it looks like. I' called the 3 major big box stores and NO one sells the Plant Doctor. I'll have to email the company and see if its available for retail?

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »
Okay...I found this link http://organiclabs.com/Retail.html for the Plant Doctor. I emailed the company to see if they can tell me who might carry it in my area.

Thanks again Rob for pointing that out!

Nancy

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
Lover of Pugs:  I bought some at a Home Depot in Lake Worth.  Possibly your store would be willing to order it for you?

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
Thanks Mangomandan...I will print out the picture with the UPC label I found and bring it to see if the manager would order it for me, appreciate it!

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
After doing a little more research on Org. Plant Doctor...I found out that it has the same ingredients as
Excel LG Fungicide (by Organic Laboratories, Inc.)  https://www.planetnatural.com/planetnatural/images/exel-lg-label.pdf

Here's the one for Organocide Plant Doctor http://organiclabs.com/Images/LabelImages/Plant%20Doctor%20Back%20Label%20Booklet%20Instructions%20for%20Use.pdf

So...I believe these two products are the same thing and made by the same company, at least both bottles have the same Address listed?? Coincidence...Hmmm...food for thought.

Mangomandan,  just got off the phone with the manager of the Garden Center of Home depot, he said NO go on ordering Plant Doctor for me because its NOT available in his district...sucks!! Especially because I don't like paying shipping!!

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »
I see that Amazon sells Exel LG Systemic Fungicide Concentrated Pint for $20, including free shipping. I don't know how that compares to buying it elsewhere.

I've been trying to compare the ingredients in these various products, but it just makes my poor English-major brain hurt. So many variations on phos****    It would be nice to read some field trials of the efficacy, but I haven't come across any so far.

After doing a little more research on Org. Plant Doctor...I found out that it has the same ingredients as
Excel LG Fungicide (by Organic Laboratories, Inc.)  https://www.planetnatural.com/planetnatural/images/exel-lg-label.pdf

Here's the one for Organocide Plant Doctor http://organiclabs.com/Images/LabelImages/Plant%20Doctor%20Back%20Label%20Booklet%20Instructions%20for%20Use.pdf

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »
Thanks mangomandan for the link...I'll order if I can't find it locally. Still working on a local source.

The one you purchased at Home depot, does it have the "Plant Doctor" on the container or Exel LG?

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 08:22:33 AM »
The one I bought said Plant Doctor.  It was the first time I've seen it at the local HD.   I hope it turns out to be good stuff, and hope HD continues to stock it.   I haven't had many good years for mangos since the hurricanes of 2004, and I really want this year to be fruitful.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »
Thanks Dan!! I think I found a HD that's going to order it for me...keep fingers crossed!

I totally understand what you're saying...my Glenn that has the PM is the closest I've ever seen this tree to giving me some fruit since I planted it 5 years ago, every year prior to this...it was severely damaged by the freeze... So I totally feel your pain. I have NO idea "if" any of these bloom spikes will hold fruit either...Good luck to us both, and hope the product works.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »
I bought and used Bonide on my lychees and longans to control scale insects. I did not use it on the mango blossoms because it contains pyrethrins, and I didn't want to kill any pollinating insects. I'm not sure how long the toxicity of pyrethrins remains on blossoms...any thoughts? Instead of the Bonide we used a mix of available fungicides in our garage and it stopped the PM dead in its tracks. I will however use the Bonide on small and developing fruit. Harry, did you ever have to mass-spray your yard for powdery mildew?
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
I have never mass sprayed for anything in my yard.  I do spot spraying, if that.  The crop suffers but such is life in mango paradise. This year, I have noticed for the first time, heavy powdery mildew on the leaves (some of them at least) of my Glenn tree.  I haven't seen it on the leaves elsewhere. only on blooms pannicles. I haven't sprayed as of yet and may not get a chance to.  We'll see.  Probably won't do too terribly much to the tree overall, except curl a  few leaves.  Too be continued.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
how can you tell the difference between powdery mildew and anthracnose on mango flowers?  I got some brown and almost black dead flowers.....

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
Powdery mildew will coat your flowers with a fine white fuzzy mildew. Anthracnose turns them black.

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 11:39:03 AM »
thanks, think i got anthracnose then...

do you suggest i cut off the dead/blackened flower or stem so it wont get the rest infected? 

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
I wouldn't cut them off...just spray the panicles with a good fungicide.