Author Topic: Words to Memorize  (Read 1663 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Words to Memorize
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:22:07 PM »
The most important sentence I have read on growing citrus, was said by Frank Turrell a citrus researcher about 1969

"As the roots grow, so grows the tree. " - Millet
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:24:19 PM by Millet »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Words to Memorize
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:57:26 PM »
Rootstocks are selected first for their compatibility with the scion cultivar to be grown, and second for a wide range of other characteristics, which include nutrient uptake, pH sensitivity, pH tolerance, salinity tolerance, fungal and nematode resistance, yield, fruit size, time of fruit maturity, fruit quality, precocity, vigor, tree size and maturity, tree shape, cold hardiness, drought resistance, hormone production, sink relations within the tree, efficiency of nutrient uptake, water use, and fruit yield. In fact, it is nearly impossible to think of an aspect of tree physiology or yield that is not affected by the rootstock. Take care of your tree's root system, you take care of the tree. - Millet

Axier

• Basque country Z10 (Cantabrian coast)
    • View Profile
Re: Words to Memorize
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:53:16 AM »
I think so, but how many times is the rootstock a wrong choice!
For example, in Spanish nurseries is frequent to find navel oranges grafted on volkameriana. It is know that this rootstock produces fruit of poor quality but greener and easier to grow trees than carrizo.
I like an orange tree to eat good fruit, not just a decorative tree.
However, orange navel producers graft mainly on carrizo.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:02:15 AM by Axier »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk