Author Topic: Lucky Durian Find  (Read 4013 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Lucky Durian Find
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
I've been searching for durian seeds and seedlings for a long time.  Word was out in this small island nation and, finally, a friend-of-a-friend comes through for me!  I am now the proud owner of 5 young durian trees, each 60-90 cm (2-3 feet).  A bit spindly, but I can not believe my luck.  I also have one seedling spouted from a Thai seed, so 6 plants total.  Just wanted to share my joy!

John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Lucky Durian Find
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »
Congrats! Fiji might finally have some durian fruits in its horizon. ;D BTW, they don't look spindly to me. That's just the way they grow. Hope you know they like filtered sunlight when small. Give them also lots of water, don't let them dry out. When ready to plant in ground suggest planting on a mound, so they don't ever have any standing water. This will reduce chances of phytophora root rot in the future. Good luck!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »
Looks good John and you might need other varieties to ensure cross pollination and good fruit set.

I also suggest planting on a mound, lots of mulch and in shelters with a small opening at the top for them to grow into the sun. They will soon be ready to plant out.

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:22:38 PM »
Congratulations John,
I'm still on the hunt. Had ordered some Seeds from Lindsay (Durianyear) but she is off the Radar.
Has anyone an idea where she hids or maybe something happen.
Helmut

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
Congratulations John,
I'm still on the hunt. Had ordered some Seeds from Lindsay (Durianyear) but she is off the Radar.
Helmut

I think she is in Australia right now? She has been posting on this forum, so hasn't really disappeared.
Oscar

waldi1

• Mexico, Guerrero, Zihuatanejo, 13b 17.60 N, 101.46W
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
Thank's Oscar,will wait and see.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 07:30:25 PM »
Yesterday i stumbled on a malaysian website that sold black thorn durian seeds, is anybody interested in it then i will try to find it again?

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
Awesome find John. Best of luck with those. I have one surviving Red Prawn Durian, the other was eaten by a local marsupial. Also have a few other regular Durian that are growing nicely. 
FloridaGreenMan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
She was in Cairns a few weeks ago.i suggested she should have come during durian season in March/April.She may have gone to the northern territory where durians are ripening now.

Here is a red prawn at nearly 7 years showing the dense pyramid shape. Two years and eight months ago it snapped clean one inch above the graft and this is all regrowth from that tiny piece of scion.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
Mike
Very impressive growth!
FloridaGreenMan

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
Thanks for the advise on planting.  All were planted today.  Two under shade trees that will eventually be cut down.  With the others I planted some companion banana and cassava around them for shade.

All are on sloping ground so I didn't mound the soil.  Soil varies from loam to clay-loam; varies from place to place.  There is only one I am concerned about - the water drained very slowly from the hole when planting.  Do you that's a high risk to root rot? Recommend moving? It is on sloping land without any very soggy history.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »
Thanks for the advise on planting.  All were planted today.  Two under shade trees that will eventually be cut down.  With the others I planted some companion banana and cassava around them for shade.

All are on sloping ground so I didn't mound the soil.  Soil varies from loam to clay-loam; varies from place to place.  There is only one I am concerned about - the water drained very slowly from the hole when planting.  Do you that's a high risk to root rot? Recommend moving? It is on sloping land without any very soggy history.

Yes i would move that one.
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:23:02 AM »

Thanks, Oscar. I'll move it tomorrow.

I have no idea what varieties I have.  My seedling from Thailand was described to me as from "the most delicious variety, known as 'gold skin durian'".  It's a seedling, but any idea on the parentage?   

The 5 trees I recently acquired are also a mystery variety.  All came from seeds of a single tree in a garden that had 2 trees, but only one bearing.  No other Durian likely within miles of those two.  That variety I'll call 'Smuggler's Pride' for now.  ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 01:29:49 AM »

Thanks, Oscar. I'll move it tomorrow.

I have no idea what varieties I have.  My seedling from Thailand was described to me as from "the most delicious variety, known as 'gold skin durian'".  It's a seedling, but any idea on the parentage?   

The 5 trees I recently acquired are also a mystery variety.  All came from seeds of a single tree in a garden that had 2 trees, but only one bearing.  No other Durian likely within miles of those two.  That variety I'll call 'Smuggler's Pride' for now.  ;)

Gold skin probably is Golden Pillow = Monthong. One of the most common and popular cultivars in Thailand.
John, i recommend to be really careful during droughts as durians don't like dry spells, even full grown trees. Make sure especially during droughts that they are well watered. Bula bula!
Oscar

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
Congratulations John,
Helmut

I think she is in Australia right now? She has been posting on this forum, so hasn't really disappeared.
I got some seeds from Brunei
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk