Author Topic: Eugenia candolleana  (Read 103164 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Re: Eugenia candolleana
« Reply #200 on: December 03, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
Sven they are slow sometimes don't give up. I had a few of my Rain Forest Plum seeds almost take 90 days to sprout!

Ed

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2013, 07:54:25 PM »
I wonder, who's in the running for having this plant furthest north? my seedling is about an inch tall and i'm at latitude 41 ish.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
Got these from Oscar on 22 of October. Took 3 weeks to sprout (14-11-2013). got 8 out of 10 (more coming up)

http://i42.tinypic.com/10fatyb.jpg

Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »
Wow, they look great! 3 weeks is pretty fast for these seeds. What kind of medium are they planted in? Looks like sand, but i doubt they would look so healthy in just sand?
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
I use normal potting soil (s) with perlite (p) (about 3s:1p). I soak my seed in Copper fungicide for 10 min then i put them in the soil.

About the sand, I use it in surface only (0.5 inch thick) and I think it helps to keep the moisture in soil and works as natural water dripper. From time to time I feed them with foliar spray (low dosage).
Moh'd

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:15 AM »
Got these from Oscar on 22 of October. Took 3 weeks to sprout (14-11-2013). got 8 out of 10 (more coming up)

http://i42.tinypic.com/10fatyb.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful. Oscar, the seeds I got from you this time are now spouting, so far I can see 5 out of 10 coming up. I'll keep you posted.

Joe.

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Sven they are slow sometimes don't give up. I had a few of my Rain Forest Plum seeds almost take 90 days to sprout!

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I'm not giving up, I'm happily awaiting their arrival.  Actually I think the first one sprouted in the last couple days.  It has a tiny shoot developing.  I haven't had them on heat mats or in a greenhouse so I wasn't expecting super fast germination, especially since the weather turned cool a couple weeks after I planted them.

Sven

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
There are lots of volunteer seedlings around the mother plants. Like surinam the rainforest plum fruits fall to the ground and easily germinate.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
There are lots of volunteer seedlings around the mother plants. Like surinam the rainforest plum fruits fall to the ground and easily germinate.

Some people from south Brasil says that eugenias do not produce volunteers around the mother plants, so maybe your climate is better (more humid, etc.)
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2014, 11:05:28 AM »
for the record, I just harvested my last plum off of the little fruiting tree from Oscar, yesterday.

This is one of the tastiest Eugenias in my opinion!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »

Some people from south Brasil says that eugenias do not produce volunteers around the mother plants, so maybe your climate is better (more humid, etc.)

At the botanical gardens in Encinitas, CA there's a lawn of seedlings under each of the surinams.
Shane

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
Has the supply/demand issue worked itself out....or are they still crazy expensive?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »
I'm glad to say that my little seedlings have been among the few plants so survive this winter. Now to get them to fruiting size.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #213 on: March 03, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »
for the record, I just harvested my last plum off of the little fruiting tree from Oscar, yesterday.

This is one of the tastiest Eugenias in my opinion!

Mine also stopped fruiting, but a little earlier, maybe 2-3 weeks ago.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #214 on: March 03, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »

At the botanical gardens in Encinitas, CA there's a lawn of seedlings under each of the surinams.

Surinams are famous for doing that. Almost every single fruit that drops under the tree will start a volunteer plant under the tree. The rainforest plum does the same thing here. Tons of little plants under my trees from all the fruits i missed picking.
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »

Ed

Good to hear.  I planted these with some abius and malabar chestnut a while ago...maybe like january...the others have sprouted and growing well....nothing from any of the rainforest plums
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
the rainforest plum i got from Oscar is super productive...I can't believe how many fruits set...seems like over 10% of flowers set....I have a much larger tree that sets fruit on only about 2% of flowers.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2014, 11:35:20 PM »
My Ameixa-da-Mata (E. Candolleana) is loaded with small fruits. The tree is fruiting for the first time, and it stands over eight (8) feet tall. The tree absolutely beautiful with a reddish trunk. I also have another tree in a pot that stands approximately four (4) feet tall. This little tree produced over thirty (30) fruits. I thought that she was going to fruit to death.
Important - a fellow fruit collector named Steve Brady found out that the seeds germinate faster if they get sun light. According to Brady, a trained botanist, the seeds have chlorofile
and light expedite germination.
Suggestion  - place the seeds on top of the potting mix, and lightly cover the seeds with white sugar sand. I use pool sand. Keep the seeds nice and moist, and they will germinate assuming the seeds are fresh and viable.

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2014, 02:57:11 AM »
My Ameixa-da-Mata (E. Candolleana) is loaded with small fruits. The tree is fruiting for the first time, and it stands over eight (8) feet tall. The tree absolutely beautiful with a reddish trunk. I also have another tree in a pot that stands approximately four (4) feet tall. This little tree produced over thirty (30) fruits. I thought that she was going to fruit to death.
Important - a fellow fruit collector named Steve Brady found out that the seeds germinate faster if they get sun light. According to Brady, a trained botanist, the seeds have chlorofile
and light expedite germination.
Suggestion  - place the seeds on top of the potting mix, and lightly cover the seeds with white sugar sand. I use pool sand. Keep the seeds nice and moist, and they will germinate assuming the seeds are fresh and viable.

Hi Berto,

How old is your Ameixa-da-Mata when it start to fruiting?
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »
Three years from seeds (Thanks Oscar!), my ONLY survival tree is starting to flower.

Thera

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »
congrats Thera

that is a pretty tree!

u r lucky u got one from Oscar!

his seem to be superior to the ones i was already growing.

the fruits on his are larger, rounder, and the leaves are more slender than first variety i planted...

but best of all, the ones from Oscar are extremely productive setting lots of fruits, even as an isolated plant (be sure to keep them wet while they're setting fruits..if they dry out u will get fruit drop)

the first variety i planted barely sets fruit, even with cross pollination...hopefully they'll pick up the pace eventually....they're flowering now too!  (but not much fruit set yet)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:18:28 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 08, 2015, 12:28:06 AM »
congrats Thera

that is a pretty tree!

the fruits on his are larger, rounder, and the leaves are more slender than first variety i planted...

but best of all, the ones from Oscar are extremely productive setting lots of fruits, even as an isolated plant (be sure to keep them wet while they're setting fruits..if they dry out u will get fruit drop)

the first variety i planted barely sets fruit, even with cross pollination...hopefully they'll pick up the pace eventually....they're flowering now too!  (but not much fruit set yet)

Thanks for the tips, Adam. One thing I learned from this CA experience is that E. Candolleana doesn't like direct CA sun light. Afternoon sun light is fine. Now I need to keep it moist per your advice, Adam.
I'm keeping it next to the Red Jabo which is still fruiting after giving about 100 fruits for a 3 ft all potted tree.

Thera

shah8

• Atlanta, Ga
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 08, 2015, 12:31:12 AM »
You know...how sure are we that what we know and have is E. candolleana rather than, say E. convexinervia (as an example)?  I mean, if one looks at the dried leaf botany selections for candolleana, the leaves are quite a bit less lanceolate.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2015, 12:46:44 AM »
Don't keep it flooded, just make sure to water regularly, (a shallow dish underneath is ok!)

congrats Thera

that is a pretty tree!

Thanks for the tips, Adam. One thing I learned from this CA experience is that E. Candolleana doesn't like direct CA sun light. Afternoon sun light is fine. Now I need to keep it moist per your advice, Adam.
I'm keeping it next to the Red Jabo which is still fruiting after giving about 100 fruits for a 3 ft all potted tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2015, 12:51:08 AM »
The one i got from you adam last year just put out its first flowers, id say its around 3 years.

I have 20 of oscars about a year old so i'll have a mini grove soon   8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:52:55 AM by buddyguygreen »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk