Author Topic: Lee x Nova  (Read 998 times)

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Lee x Nova
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »
I have the following mandarins and I've heard this is alternate bearing. Is it worth adding to my collection ?

Kishu
Okitsu Wase
Owari
California Honey
Page
Tahoe Gold
Yosemite Gold
Shasta Gold
Gold Nugget
Pixie

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
Re: Lee x Nova
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »
Sure it’s worth growing , somewhat taste like a Page, but bigger. Whether it’s worth adding, it’s up to you. You got room?
Go for it.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
Lee x Nova is a pretty good all around mandarin, and definitely an improvement on its parents. (I've tasted all three)

I think it really does depend on personal preferences though, there are different "types" of mandarin flavor.

I personally prefer the more aromatic sour mandarins. Satsuma 'Owari', Kishu and Shasta Gold are my favorites. (And Page is not bad either, has some Minneola tangelo flavor, though I would slightly prefer to eat a Minneola tangelo rather than it)

Pixie is usually the same variety as Kishu, I believe.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:43:25 AM »
I personally feel you could go either way.

If you are really a collector, you could add it to your collection, it is worth adding to a large mandarin variety collection (of all the best varieties), but I would not be too anxious to add it.

I do think Lee x Nova is better than Dancy or Gold Nugget though, if that helps at all. It's sort of a standard, very slightly sour flavorful mandarin, a little bit of tropical mandarin flavor, nicely sweet but not out of the ordinary so.

joeb

• usa.statesboro,ga.zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »
Excellent piece of fruit and when grown in Georgia it is not alternate bearing,  it doesn't bear at all!