Author Topic: Considering replacing Angie mango  (Read 24875 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Considering replacing Angie mango
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »
So far, the Angie mango has been a dud for me. Very anthracnose prone, and I've not yet had a good fruit from the tree flavor wise (2nd year producing). They all have a very bitter "off" flavor. I'll continue to post on flavor of this season's fruit in the thread on whether or not Angie is top tier. I'm starting to read up on possible replacements so that I might be able to taste varieties this year so I can be better informed next spring when I'll make a final decision on whether or not to plant something else.  I would love suggestions on what to seek out for tasting this year. Here are my criteria for a new tree for my yard:

1. Tree must be able to be maintained at 8' or less. I'm in Orlando & have to frost protect every year, so this is my primary limitation. I am willing to prune religiously to keep the tree in check if it can fruit productively at a small size.
2. Consistent fruit quality - I don't want a tree that it is fiddly to get peak ripeness where the fruit is only good if at perfect ripeness.
3. Excellent flavor. My favorite mango is Edward - I'd love to plant one, but have heard that keeping a productive tree small enough is not likely. I tend to like flavors with a good sweet/tart balance and no spice or resinous flavor.
4. Not a variety I already have - I've got Pickering, Cogshall & Manilita.
5. Mid to late season fruit - the early season fruit bloom too early and it is too hard to protect panicles from frost.

From browsing the recent postings, Maha Chanok and Providence sound like they might be good fits. What else would people recommend? All those new Zill varieties sound very exciting, but are any of the trees small enough to fit my size requirements?

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
Re: Considering replacing Angie mango
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 11:06:42 AM »
Fairchild?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:23:50 AM »
From browsing the recent postings, Maha Chanok and Providence sound like they might be good fits. What else would people recommend? All those new Zill varieties sound very exciting, but are any of the trees small enough to fit my size requirements?

At least in my yard the new Zill Pina Colada is a slow, non-vigorous grower. In fact It does not grow fast enough for me! The fruits taste great, an 8.5 out of 10 but are small.
Maybe I got a dwarfish pina colada. Maybe others have different experience.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »
I'd probably go Maha Chanok. I"ve been very impressed with mine. Great sweet + tart flavor, fairly slow growing and seems to have a long production season.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »
I'd probably go Maha Chanok. I"ve been very impressed with mine. Great sweet + tart flavor, fairly slow growing and seems to have a long production season.

I would agree.  The Mahachanok will probably be your best bet with your concerns (I personally would not feel you should have any issues with it as if the first blooms get hit by cold, it will re-flower).  While I agree that the Fairchild is an outstanding mango, it is an earlier season and if you have any reservations with issues on an early season variety, than pass on it.

Honey Kiss is another top choice however it will be about a year until trees will be available for purchase.

I don't see Pina Colada as being that small in the long run.

As for Providence, I highly recommend sampling before you consider purchasing.  It is a mango that many love and many dislike.  I think the naysayers are due to the fact that they dont pick it or let it ripen properly before eating.  It is not one that is good if you are impatient or tend to eat you fruits before fully ripe.

You may also want to consider the Venus.  From what I have seen, I don't feel it will be a vigorous grower and I think it can easily be maintained.
- Rob

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »
Fairchild. Had some from Zands' tree. Highly productive and absolutely delicious  and a small tree too .

Mike ...in AZ

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »
I have a Fairchild planted in your zone and I love it.  No problems so far to have to spray for and it hasn't missed a crop since it first fruited six years back.  This is the tree that got me started on mango's. 

The tree has been hassle free other than pruning like you do with all of them.  For this area and its constant heat and muggy conditions in summer, it in my yard at least has done very well.  The taste, I gave two Fairchild mangos  to my cousin last season, he called back wanting to know where to buy a tree.  He has a Fairchild tree now also. 

I just saw my  first full size Carrie tree, condo my rear end, the Fairchild is a much smaller tree and can fit into some of the warmer spots we need up here. 

If you want a smaller tree, this is a good one.   It has done well for me in these conditions. I don't want to fight wet conditions with a tree that can't take it.  I have zero complaints on the Fairchild other than I wish they  would produce more. 

I have a MahaChanok  that I just planted this spring.  It does taste better than the Fairchild.  But I just don't have much growing info on it as of yet at my place.  But it is one of the best in taste so I would plant both types if you have room.   

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »
Thanks for the wonderful responses! I will definitely seek out a Maha Chanok to taste this year, it does sound like a good fit. An extended ripening season is definitely a bonus. I need to seek out and try Fairchild again, it was a tree I considered when I first planted, but I found two fruit to try (different sources) and wasn't all that impressed. Of course perfectly possible I didn't get good ones.

Thanks a lot for the input on Providence, it sounds like it is probably not for me, if it tends to have a polarizing reaction from different tasters. Very helpful input!

Honey kiss, Venus and Pina colada I'm not familiar with, off to forum search to read more about those. I'm not in any particular hurry, and wouldn't plant any earlier than next spring anyhow, so I can wait if there is a tree who's fruit I really like that won't be available for a while.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
Reading up on honey kiss - another thread indicates it is a Kent seedling. Kents are one of my favorites, does honey kiss have similar flavor characteristics?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 02:47:45 PM »
Reading up on honey kiss - another thread indicates it is a Kent seedling. Kents are one of my favorites, does honey kiss have similar flavor characteristics?

Honey Kiss is a Keitt seedling (if it was from one of my posts and it says Kent, that was a typo).  It does not taste like Keitt (or kent for the matter :) ).  It is a very sweet mango, brightly colored, late season and has a distinct honey aroma and taste.  It is not like Nam Doc Mai in any way which many say has a honey flavor.  The Honey Kiss is more complex, more intense flavor and the hone component is distinct as opposed to just being "as sweet as honey" like the NDM.
- Rob

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 03:19:56 PM »
I can only comment on flavor, not tree or growth habits -

Maha Chanok is the king of all mangos in my book - a marvel of nature. 'Forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden' kinda level.  It has a complex and incredibly suave balance of sweet and tart flavors - but it has a subtle spice element (that some of us associate with 'cola syrup').  It's not like a heavy turpentine resinous taste - its subtle. Some reviewers don't mention or notice this taste when describing it.

Venus has a lovely flavor - really delicious -  but it also has the same subtle spice element found in Maha Chanok.

Honey Kiss has a mellow & sweet flavor. I don't find the flavor to be that "interesting" but it is very "good."  Honey Kiss might be my selection if I were trying to pick a mango to sell nationwide at Whole Foods - an ideal and agreeable flavor for the discerning Caucasian American fruit shopper. If your favorite mango is Edward, you might like Honey Kiss.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
I can only comment on flavor, not tree or growth habits -

Maha Chanok is the king of all mangos in my book - a marvel of nature. 'Forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden' kinda level.  It has a complex and incredibly suave balance of sweet and tart flavors - but it has a subtle spice element (that some of us associate with 'cola syrup').  It's not like a heavy turpentine resinous taste - its subtle. Some reviewers don't mention or notice this taste when describing it.

Venus has a lovely flavor - really delicious -  but it also has the same subtle spice element found in Maha Chanok.

Honey Kiss has a mellow & sweet flavor. I don't find the flavor to be that "interesting" but it is very "good."  Honey Kiss might be my selection if I were trying to pick a mango to sell nationwide at Whole Foods - an ideal and agreeable flavor for the discerning Caucasian American fruit shopper. If your favorite mango is Edward, you might like Honey Kiss.

Really??

The discerning fruit shopper would be blown away by a Honey Kiss when the only thing they have to compare with is a boiled Kent, Keitt, Tommy Atkins, Haitian type or a wrinkled Champage/Ataulfo mango.  I also disagree with your assessment (then again, I dont see the distinct cola flavor you refer to) that if you like Edward you will like Honey Kiss.  I really like Honey Kiss but am not a great fan of Edward...however to each their own.  Honey Kiss also has to be picked and riped to a proper stage to bring out its flavor (like a Pickering).  I am sure many eat both before they are truly ready and hence the blah reactiuon to them.  Just my two pennies...
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 03:49:23 PM »
In its stride Angie is a fantastic tasting and productive mango. But...my tree has had lots of scab issues over the last two years that are making me question its long term viability :(

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
SunWorshipper,

If you love both Edward and Kent, I would guess you'd like Honey Kiss. It's not hard to believe its a seedling of Kent - there are similarities. It sits on the milder end of mango flavor wheel: sweet, sunny, mellow, vaguely "tropical." It's difficult for me to say which is the best tasting out of Edward, Kent and Honey Kiss... they're all good ones... but I'd probably take Honey Kiss.

It's got a very "agreeable" character of flavor that I could imagine being likable to most and objectionable to very few.

That being said, I have never heard anyone say its their favorite mango or go insane over it.

Now Maha Chanok, on the other hand...  :)  :D  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:11:34 PM by BrettBorders »

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
Such a great wealth of knowledge! I really appreciate all of the detail in the descriptions of the flavor profiles! Thanks for the correction on the Kent vs Keitt parentage. I hadn't heard the cola taste comparison to the Maha before, hard to imagine. So is there anywhere that I could acquire Maha Chanok, Honey Kiss and Venus fruits to try? Anyone selling them (feel free to link to the appropriate spot in the buy/sell)? I lean toward the Maha based on descriptions, but all three sound appealing and I would like to taste before planting if possible.

Swrancher - I'm not sure what scab looks like, but my Angie's I think may have that too. Very ugly fruit, they have anthracnose spots for sure, and a lot of what looks like scuff marks except all over the fruit not just where it contacts another branch. They fall off the tree when barely showing the slightest yellow blush - very hard for me to tell when they are ripe. They look nothing like the gorgeous red yellow Fairchild advertised. Also, it seems to require copper to set fruit. I didn't spray half of the tree  - those panicles set zero fruit. Panicles I sprayed set heavily, then self culled to 1 or 2 fruits. Overall, doesn't seem like an easy tree.

My Manilita may be plain flavor wise, but it is a joy in the garden. Every fruit ripens unblemished and perfect, no uneven ripening, and it requires no spraying. Very easy tree. How do Maha, Venus and Honey Kiss compare in disease resistance and ability to set fruit without spraying? Also, how are their internode lengths? Short lengths, in addition to lower vigor make the tree easier to shape.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
SunWorshipper,

If you love both Edward and Kent, I would guess you'd like Honey Kiss. It's not hard to believe its a seedling of Kent - there are similarities. It sits on the milder end of mango flavor wheel: sweet, sunny, mellow, vaguely "tropical." It's difficult for me to say which is the best tasting out of Edward, Kent and Honey Kiss... they're all good ones... but I'd probably take Honey Kiss.

It's got a very "agreeable" character of flavor that I could imagine being likable to most and objectionable to very few.

That being said, I have never heard anyone say its their favorite mango or go insane over it.

I will tell you this, last year I had MANY different mangos and I would rate the Honey Kiss right up there with the best of them! In fact I have been waiting for over a year now to get a tree! Gonna wait until next year for my tree! It's the only mango my 14 year old daughter will eat and also my wife's favorite mango hands down! Not my #1 but I'll tell you this I would never kick her out of bed!
Joe

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 07:03:49 AM »

I will tell you this, last year I had MANY different mangos and I would rate the Honey Kiss right up there with the best of them! In fact I have been waiting for over a year now to get a tree! Gonna wait until next year for my tree! It's the only mango my 14 year old daughter will eat and also my wife's favorite mango hands down! Not my #1 but I'll tell you this I would never kick her out of bed!

7 gallon honey kiss for sale. Look in the for sale section

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
SunWorshipper,

had to read this like 3 times to figure out you were referring to the mango...or were you?  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 11:49:03 AM »
My girlfriend and I just tried Honey Kiss this past week for the first time.   The flavor is very good.   Being a smaller, late season tree, it is one I am taking a close look at to buy at some point.  The only thing holding this one up is size of the fruit.  That to us was no problem at all.  Rather have the HK any day over a much bigger Harper. 

We have tried a lot of mango types this year but she has not had a MahaChanok yet.  It is the only mango I tasted the first bite and woke up when I was done with the seed.  Didn't share a bit of it. 

So I bought a tree.   

My soon to be 96 year old mother's words after tasting her first Glenn.  "This is called a Glenn right.  You won't need to plant this one."

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »
He Rob
I saw the Venus and providence trees at Walter 's they were loaded with fruits is the Honey Kiss as productive? I like to get a late replacement for Keitt which I don't care for.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »
3 of the best mangos I've ever eaten have been an Edwards, Maha Chanok and a Mallika (perfectly ripened Mallika...which is hard to obtain it seems).
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:06 PM »
He Rob
I saw the Venus and providence trees at Walter 's they were loaded with fruits is the Honey Kiss as productive? I like to get a late replacement for Keitt which I don't care for.

Honey Kiss is super productive.  More so than Providence or Venus.
- Rob

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 09:04:57 PM »
He Rob

Honey Kiss is super productive.  More so than Providence or Venus.

And after tasting one Sunday I can say I'm happy to have one in the ground since it was one of the best mangoes I've eaten this year.  I hope my Redlands location won't impact the taste vs Zills location   

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
 Another of the better formed mangos off my Angie tree ripened and I tried it today - thumbs down still.

I now have a solid tasting plan to pursue this season - thanks all for giving me such great input! I'll seek them out Maha Chanok, Honey Kiss & Venus for tasting. Other than taste, any other comparisons of the tree growth habits or disease tolerance that you think are significantly different between the three?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »
Another of the better formed mangos off my Angie tree ripened and I tried it today - thumbs down still.

I now have a solid tasting plan to pursue this season - thanks all for giving me such great input! I'll seek them out Maha Chanok, Honey Kiss & Venus for tasting. Other than taste, any other comparisons of the tree growth habits or disease tolerance that you think are significantly different between the three?

Honey Kiss is the most compact grower and very good production.  It is late season, which is also good.  Venus seems to have a good structure and not real vigorous, while it is tough to tell as the variety is not that old, Venus looks to have the same or similar growth habit as the Mahachanok.  Venus does seem to set fruit young and looks to be a good producer, primarily late season.  Mahachanok, also a good producer, can have an extended season, ranging from mid-June into August.  All three seem to have very good disease resistance.
- Rob