Author Topic: Thesis on Balinese salak cultivars  (Read 3252 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Thesis on Balinese salak cultivars
« on: October 31, 2013, 02:52:49 PM »
Some interesting info here on Bali salak cultivars:

http://eprints.jcu.edu.au/1329/2/02whole.pdf

John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Thesis on Balinese salak cultivars
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »
Hifives Hifarm it is a great find and written in my hometown here but I have never seen this Bali Salak overview.I think there are many highlights including that Salacca zalacca subs amboina has yet to get its official subspecies status accepted. Other points of interest include the names S.edulis and S.rumphii which had contaminated the literature for 100 years only got dropped in 1982 and also that gula and boni are very closely related.Gula (pasir) and the red fleshed boni are the most reverred of all bali salak cultivars.

It is a ripping read for all salak enthusiasts and a great launching pad to tackle the other 2 big guns of the snake fruit world, Salacca zalacca zalacca and Salacca wallichiana.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
Yeah, it looks like a great analysis.  I haven't had a chance to go through it in great detail yet but I have saved it on my harddrive & will later.  The only thing I have seen in quickly skimming over it that I would like to have seen is a comparison of seed size (or, better yet, of percentage pulp) for each cultivar.  It will be interesting to see what cultivar(s) I have as they get bigger with the key enclosed in the thesis.

John

Hifives Hifarm it is a great find and written in my hometown here but I have never seen this Bali Salak overview.I think there are many highlights including that Salacca zalacca subs amboina has yet to get its official subspecies status accepted. Other points of interest include the names S.edulis and S.rumphii which had contaminated the literature for 100 years only got dropped in 1982 and also that gula and boni are very closely related.Gula (pasir) and the red fleshed boni are the most reverred of all bali salak cultivars.

It is a ripping read for all salak enthusiasts and a great launching pad to tackle the other 2 big guns of the snake fruit world, Salacca zalacca zalacca and Salacca wallichiana.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 04:44:55 AM »
This is great info, thanks for posting.