Author Topic: Jean Ellen mango size and taste  (Read 3989 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Jean Ellen mango size and taste
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/Fairchilds17thAnnualInternationalMangoFestival/internationalmangofestival/

300 g = 0.661 pounds

Not too much information on this mango. Fairchild claims it is 300 grams. That is as small as I have heard a mango described which is good for me because I would have to plant it where it is more vulnerable to theft So my questions are

• how does it taste?
  • Does it really bear the way Farichild describes--- "there are typically multiple blooms during the year. The season is from April to June in South Florida"
  • what size is the fruit?

Thanks!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Ellen mango size and taste
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »
http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/Fairchilds17thAnnualInternationalMangoFestival/internationalmangofestival/

300 g = 0.661 pounds

Not too much information on this mango. Fairchild claims it is 300 grams. That is as small as I have heard a mango described which is good for me because I would have to plant it where it is more vulnerable to theft So my questions are

• how does it taste?
  • Does it really bear the way Farichild describes--- "there are typically multiple blooms during the year. The season is from April to June in South Florida"

Thanks!

Hi Zand
Are you going to purchase this variety?300g is about the size of some of my Manilas and Carrie. Alfonso is also around that size.

JF

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »

• how does it taste?

They listed it as an Alphonso class mango in taste.  Alphonso has a storied reputation  internationally.  However, in my yard, Alphonso has not been good at all. Poor disease resistance and very poor production is the primary issue with Alphonso....but when I got a few fruits they were very underwhelming.  Jean Ellen is correctly described in size and shape.  eating quality for me is Fair, on the excellent, Good, Fair, Poor scale.  I am hoping for some improvement in my trees second year of production. I do not see this fruit getting better than a "Good minus" on that same scale, in the best of years.  The other mangoes on that Fairchild page are all better.  With one bloming season complete and a second underway, the tree has not bloomed multiple times so far.  I would not expect it to in the future.  The tree was the subject of my prune or not to prune experiment in garden web.  See:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1221370531594.html

It was amongst the first mangoes of the season last year.  See:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0520284815542.html

Harry
    Harry
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 
    USA

zands

• mango_zango
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »

• They listed it as an Alphonso class mango in taste.  Alphonso has a storied reputation  internationally.  However, in my yard, Alphonso has not been good at all. Poor disease resistance and very poor production is the primary issue with Alphonso....but when I got a few fruits they were very underwhelming.  Jean Ellen is correctly described in size and shape.  eating quality for me is Fair, on the excellent, Good, Fair, Poor scale.  I am hoping for some improvement in my trees second year of production. I do not see this fruit getting better than a "Good minus" on that same scale, in the best of years.  The other mangoes on that Fairchild page are all better.  With one bloming season complete and a second underway, the tree has not bloomed multiple times so far.  I would not expect it to in the future.  The tree was the subject of my prune or not to prune experiment in garden web.  See:

[/q]
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1221370531594.html

It was amongst the first mangoes of the season last year.  See:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg0520284815542.html

Harry

Straight from the horse's mouth. Many thanks. I remember your prune or no prune and you did not prune. It naturally branched out into a nice shape.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
    • Global Moderator
    • Eye like mangoes
      • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
    Harry, how many seasons did it take for the martinez (aka rosigold) to start fruiting in April?
    Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
      • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
      • View Profile
      • Fruit Lover's Nursery
    « Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:07 PM »
    Harry, as you probably well know, cultivar quality is going to depend on place/climate grown in. So just because Alphonso is not great tasting in Florida doesn't necessarily mean it's not an excellent cultivar for elsewhere. That's why most countries end up developing their own cultivars which are best suited for the own conditions. This applies across the board to all: lychees, avos, citrus,etc. That's why it's very important for each location to do it's own research rather than rely on cultivars developed elsewhere.
    Oscar
    Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
      • View Profile
    Jean Ellen mango, taste and when ripe in South Florida?
    « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »
    Any opinions on its taste?

When was it ripe last year...last year was a normal year. This year kind of off on mango ripeness dates.
    When was Jean Ellen ripe any year?
    It seems to be an early mango
    one report>>>> may 7th in 2011 was ripe

more info here....  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=466.0

Looks like a good small yellow mango, good for planting where the tree is exposed to passerby and where some might be stolen

Thanks!
    « Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:39:53 AM by zands »