Author Topic: Another prickly pear selection  (Read 32863 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Another prickly pear selection
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »
I have posted a while back about Opuntia sp. Jeronimo MV with some pics. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2672.msg37732#msg37732

Here is another fantastic selection, I am calling Torrance PCH#1. The fruit is large, red, and tasty. Seed count is low, Seeds are small and soft  (I was able to easily chew on them and break them up) Fruit was sweet and refreshing with a watermelon flavor. This is one of the few Opuntia sp., that I have seen holding great tasty ripe fruit through out the winter.

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Another prickly pear selection
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »
Did you take any pads? This sounds like a winner. Sounds like something I would like to grow soon! About how many seeds were inside?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »
Did you take any pads? This sounds like a winner. Sounds like something I would like to grow soon! About how many seeds were inside?

Of course I get pads, I have other people interested in some pads. Will take a while to have available pads. I did not specifically count all the seeds, but it was definitely on the lower side. The seeds are small and soft and do not affect the eating experience at all.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »
Nullzy

You got my attention. Remember my neighbor's cactus? It still has fruits. I will take pics tomorrow and pick a few fruits.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Nullzy

You got my attention. Remember my neighbor's cactus? It still has fruits. I will take pics tomorrow and pick a few fruits.

JF,

Thank you, I was always curious about your neighbors prickly pear  ;D. I find these prickly pears rather refreshing top quality fruit. Now that its winter time, they don't have any mangoes or other fruits to compete with. I would say they hold a top tier spot right behind the Cherimoyas and Persimmons.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »
Nice looking fruit & pads.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »
Hi Null,
WOW never seen a prickly fruit with that colour  :o Looks like caramel, YUMMY ;D

Null, that succulent growing next to the Torrance PCH#1, is great for healing burns and wounds...it stings a bit, but them scars will be minimized or disappear altogether. I have used it several times :)

Thanks for sharing, Buddy :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
Yeah Carpobrotus edulis, has some edibility of the leaves and fruit. I have not tried the fruit yet, but probably will this year. Steven, the color is indeed very vibrant red/orange hues.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
Yeah Carpobrotus edulis, has some edibility of the leaves and fruit. I have not tried the fruit yet, but probably will this year. Steven, the color is indeed very vibrant red/orange hues.

Indeed, it is edible and in South Africa a jam is made with the fruit...never tasted the fruit or jam :( It must be fun hunting them pricklies...Indiana Jones type quest of finding them supreme tasting fruits alongs dirt roads, hiking and freeways  ;D 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »

Indeed, it is edible and in South Africa a jam is made with the fruit...never tasted the fruit or jam :( It must be fun hunting them pricklies...Indiana Jones type quest of finding them supreme tasting fruits alongs dirt roads, hiking and freeways  ;D 8)

The Opuntia sp. collecting is is getting larger by the day  :o.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
Another nice looking one, congrats again Indiana Nullz.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
Another nice looking one, congrats again Indiana Nullz.

Thanks Ethan, I got a Visalia, CA selection. Should do well for you. Columnar growth habit, large yellow sweet fruit with melon flavor.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »
Thanks, it sounds interesting, I'll put it w/the others.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »
This tuna looks great! Is the fruit maybe a little overripe?

Eating tunas in winter would be awesome  ::) Over here we can eat cactus fruit in Fall and Winter, but those fruits are from Opuntia dillenii.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »
This tuna looks great! Is the fruit maybe a little overripe?

Eating tunas in winter would be awesome  ::) Over here we can eat cactus fruit in Fall and Winter, but those fruits are from Opuntia dillenii.

They were not over ripe, they were all perfectly sweet and tasty. This Prickly Pear has a trait of holding perfectly ripe fruit on the pads for a while. I sampled one of the same fruits 1 month earlier, and it was the same delicious taste.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
Nullzy

here are some pics. It had 4 or 5 fruits I picked 2 nice one and when I cut them open they looked rotten. What happen are these over rippened?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
They look fine to me, did you taste them? If a prickly pear is rotted you can tell right away. It will have blotches of brown and black with a soggy flesh that breaks apart way to easily. It will also could have mold. What you showed me looks perfectly fine.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00:30 AM »

The Opuntia sp. collecting is is getting larger by the day  :o.

Null, i reckon you should grow a bunch of your best pricklies and sell them on craig's list, ebay  or wherever...etc and make some benjies to help at least to pay the gas, pots and soil. ;) Just my 2 cents of the day...please don't shoot me  ;D
Time is like a river.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 01:33:52 AM »
Nullzero,
You rock. You're the best. I received your package today. It was awesome. I am impressed and you beat my expectations.
I'm sure that my reaction has something to do with the fact, that this is the first and only time, that I've ever tasted an Opuntia.
Nevertheless, let me just say, that the Opuntia pad and fruit of this variety, were just fantastic in every way.
To be honest, I felt as if I was in a dream. I almost couldn't believe it! ;D
I liked the taste, texture, soft-seeds, appearance and overall quality. It's just great!
I've heard horror stories, including of seeds being super hard and breaking teeth.
This reminds me of the saying: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Well, you came through for me.
Thank your very much and keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
Leooel

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 01:39:24 AM »
I agree  1000%

I've tasted some of nullzeros opuntia fruits, and they are first class!

just like Nullzero (Steven)

Nullzero,
You rock. You're the best. I received your package today. It was awesome. I am impressed and you beat my expectations.
I'm sure that my reaction has something to do with the fact, that this is the first and only time, that I've ever tasted an Opuntia.
Nevertheless, let me just say, that the Opuntia pad and fruit of this variety, were just fantastic in every way.
To be honest, I felt as if I was in a dream. I almost couldn't believe it! ;D
I liked the taste, texture, soft-seeds, appearance and overall quality. It's just great!
I've heard horror stories, including of seeds being super hard and breaking teeth.
This reminds me of the saying: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Well, you came through for me.
Thank your very much and keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
Leooel
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 02:39:07 AM »
Nullzero, also known as the Indiana Jones of Opuntias, Dragons...  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words of encouragement. Leo, I am glad you enjoyed the fruit greatly. DNT, the plant is near Calle Mayor and PCH.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
They look fine to me, did you taste them? If a prickly pear is rotted you can tell right away. It will have blotches of brown and black with a soggy flesh that breaks apart way to easily. It will also could have mold. What you showed me looks perfectly fine.

No, I didn't taste it look too gross.... didn't smell too good either. Your looks delicious.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 12:36:14 PM »

No, I didn't taste it look too gross.... didn't smell too good either. Your looks delicious.

Sounds like fermenting fruit? You going to the OC scion exchange this Saturday JF? I could bring a fruit for you to try of this Prickly Pear.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
How does prickly pear do in South Florida?  My wife grew up eating "tuna" in Bolivia.  She loves them.  I like the flavor, hate the hard seeds.
John